yconic - AFM Co-op Question
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

AFM Co-op Question

A photo of Decisions Decisions
Hey, i just wanted to know if work experience is essential for landing your first co-op placement for AFM? Like for me, i've been in exec positions for clubs, sports team, volunteering and such but is a job the thing that they look at the most?

thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@Decisions wrote
Hey, i just wanted to know if work experience is essential for landing your first co-op placement for AFM? Like for me, i've been in exec positions for clubs, sports team, volunteering and such but is a job the thing that they look at the most?

thanks

Firstly, are you in PA or FM?

I've been told that it doesn't really matter what you do as long as you can sell yourself.

And also IMO, doing things for the sake of boosting your resume/image is really stupid.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic
Ultimately, everyone does get employed. The more experience you have, the more employers will consider you of course.

That being said, there is a large share of students who have zero work experience and only extra-curricular involvements and marks who still get a job.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Arctic wrote
Ultimately, everyone does get employed. The more experience you have, the more employers will consider you of course.

That being said, there is a large share of students who have zero work experience and only extra-curricular involvements and marks who still get a job.

This.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Decisions Decisions
alright, but does the work experience mean you end up getting a better job?
i applied for FM and got in, but i do want to get my CA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Decisions wrote
alright, but does the work experience mean you end up getting a better job?
i applied for FM and got in, but i do want to get my CA.

It will definitely help.

Think about it. If you have relevant work experience or just lots of work experience, you could very likely be more ready for the job.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic
In the end, you have 4 work terms to gain work experience and get more and more meaningful experience. Even if your first co-op work term isn't what you expected it to be, you can use it to get better work terms in the future.

Was this helpful? Yes 0