yconic - AFM for next year
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

AFM for next year

A photo of Uzi3 Uzi3
I am a grade 11 student. I had math / english/ accounting/chem .My average was a 75..

When I am applying to waterloo next YEAR*, will they look at my grade 11 marks?

also, i have taken 3 open courses + grade 12 accounting, and I am looking to get a 90+ this time in accounting with 100% focus in it

what was the cut off for AFM last year?

do you guys think it's alright for me to take english in summer school?
thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of JoeSmith JoeSmith
If you have english in semester 2, then they will look at your grade 11 english mark. If your grade 11 english mark is less than 75, you won't get invited to write the afmaa. However if you plan on taking english in summer school, waterloo might take a 1-2% off your english mark.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
They will use some Grade 11 marks when giving invites to the AFMAA.

2.Applicants with an overall minimum average within the low to mid-80's and meet the AFM 2011 admission requirements will be selected and invited to write the Accounting and Financial Management Admissions Assignment (AFMAA)1 scheduled to be held on Saturday, April 2, 2011.

NOTE: If a student does not have a final or mid-semester Grade 12 U English, Advanced Functions, or Calculus and Vectors mark, the student's Grade 11 U final English or Math mark will be used.

Open courses or college courses fwill not be used, unless you are referring to M courses (max of 2 used to calculate)

The admission average for PA was 92 last year and FM was 89.

There is no actual cut-off (except for the AFMAA invites). After the AFMAA, the students who did the best get an offer, regardless of marks and supp. Then the rest have their marks, AFMAA and AIF supp are all considered. 85 spots for PA this year and 215 for FM.

Waterloo asks why you took a summmer school course (or private school, night school, repeated courses, etc) on the AIF, and it is up to their judgement I think. I have heard 1-2% off of your mark, 1-2% off of your average... I am not really positive. You could e-mail the admissions office if you want a definitive answer.

Hope that helps.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Wade3 Wade3

@g93 wrote

2.Applicants with an overall minimum average within the low to mid-80's and meet the AFM 2011 admission requirements will be selected and invited to write the Accounting and Financial Management Admissions Assignment (AFMAA)1 scheduled to be held on Saturday, April 2, 2011.

NOTE: If a student does not have a final or mid-semester Grade 12 U English, Advanced Functions, or Calculus and Vectors mark, the student's Grade 11 U final English or Math mark will be used.

Open courses or college courses fwill not be used, unless you are referring to M courses (max of 2 used to calculate)

There is no actual cut-off (except for the AFMAA invites). After the AFMAA, the students who did the best get an offer, regardless of marks and supp. Then the rest have their marks, AFMAA and AIF supp are all considered. 85 spots for PA this year and 215 for FM.

Waterloo asks why you took a summmer school course (or private school, night school, repeated courses, etc) on the AIF, and it is up to their judgement I think. I have heard 1-2% off of your mark, 1-2% off of your average... I am not really positive. You could e-mail the admissions office if you want a definitive answer.

Hope that helps.

If AFMAA is the main factor, then the 92 average and 89 average are false right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Wade3 wrote

@g93 wrote

Hope that helps.

If AFMAA is the main factor, then the 92 average and 89 average are false right?

No... (confused)

AFMAA is very important. But there are only a few spots given without reference to marks, then the rest have their marks looked at, along with the AIF scored + their performance on the AFMAA. Do not think that marks don't matter.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Wade3 Wade3

@g93 wrote

@Wade3 wrote

@g93 wrote

Hope that helps.

No... (confused)

AFMAA is very important. But there are only a few spots given without reference to marks, then the rest have their marks looked at, along with the AIF scored + their performance on the AFMAA. Do not think that marks don't matter.

oo my bad, I never knew that there were only a few spots for people that do good on afmaa. So if 100 people get a "perfect score", only a few get accepted right away regardless right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Wade3 wrote

@g93 wrote

@Wade3 wrote

@g93 wrote

Hope that helps.

No... (confused)

oo my bad, I never knew that there were only a few spots for people that do good on afmaa. So if 100 people get a "perfect score", only a few get accepted right away regardless right?

Yes.

I do not believe that Waterloo "scores" the AFMAAs. I have not found any reference to scoring them, just analyzing. So they will pick the best x people and that is all.

The AFMAA is valued by Waterloo, but they also like to have people with high marks and ECs, so they won't give offers only to the best of the AFMAA. They are looking for people who might nbot have the marks or ECs to get an offer otherwise, but their performance on the AFMAA gets them a first round offer and how they performed on the AFMAA indicates to Waterloo that they have other skills that may allow them to have great success within the program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Uzi3 Uzi3
What's AFMAA?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Uzi3 wrote
What's AFMAA?

The AFMAA is a written test that all students applying to AFM programs (PA and FM) must write. There is no way to study for it really.

What does the AFMAA assess?

The goal of the AFMAA is to admit students who are not only academically strong but have certain skills and attributes which will make them more successful both in the classroom and in the workplace. Although there are many skills and attributes that are important, the School of Accounting and Finance has chosen to assess the following 4 main areas:

1.Writing Skills
The ability to read and comprehend, to write well, make appropriate word choices, correctly apply grammar rules, use appropriate sentence structure, organize and express ideas clearly, and develop and support the main idea of the written piece.
2.Communication
The exchange of information, feelings and values through verbal and non-verbal communication.
3.Interpersonal, Teamwork and Leadership Skills
Experiences and abilities both as a leader and as a team/group member, awareness of group dynamics, interpersonal skills and organizational skills, problem-solving skills and conflict management.
4.Critical/Analytical Thinking/Judgment
The ability to “think on your feet”, think analytically, form an opinion and support it, and to solve problems.

The link provided has all of the information on the AFMAA, including FAQs and some sample questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of rkm786 rkm786
I am a grade 12 student finishing first semester. I have a 90 in advanced functions, 79 in english, 89 in accounting and 70 in data management.

I know my data mark is very low but I have enough U and M courses next semester so that my top six does not to have to include data.

How does Waterloo AFM look at my first semster marks?
Will they automatically dismiss me because of that low mark?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@rkm786 wrote
I am a grade 12 student finishing first semester. I have a 90 in advanced functions, 79 in english, 89 in accounting and 70 in data management.

I know my data mark is very low but I have enough U and M courses next semester so that my top six does not to have to include data.

From Waterloo AFM FAQs:
Q12: How do you calculate my admissions average?
To calculate your admission average for AFMAA selection, the AFM Admissions Committee utilizes a complex formula that takes into consideration all the required courses and general admission requirements for the AFM program. Since many students take the required courses during his/her second semester, we often use midterm marks when calculating admission averages, not simply final grades. We try our best to give you the highest admission average possible based on the information provided.

It is "complex" :batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@rkm786 wrote

lemme tell you right now, AFM WILL for sure give you an AFMAA invite due to your english mark > 75. afmaa is very important for admissions. from what ive seen, it could be 1:1:1 marks:ECs:AFMAA.

but people with a <75 mark on their 1st semester gr 12 english course, im sorry but you wont even get an afmaa invite. so people who havent taken gr 12 english yet and got >75 in gr 11 will still get an invite (very flawed system on AFM's part) but thats how it goes.

the program is quite competitive, and even when youre in AFM, it is still pretty competitive from what ive heard from friends.

I dont know what the deadline is for submitting 2nd sem 1st term marks is relative to the deadline for accepting you guys, but they SHOULD wait for your 2nd sem 1st term marks. if you believe you are able to attain better marks than your data mark, youll be fine in terms of marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@aimango wrote

@rkm786 wrote

lemme tell you right now, AFM WILL for sure give you an AFMAA invite due to your english mark > 75. afmaa is very important for admissions. from what ive seen, it could be 1:1:1 marks:ECs:AFMAA.

but people with a <75 mark on their 1st semester gr 12 english course, im sorry but you wont even get an afmaa invite. so people who havent taken gr 12 english yet and got >75 in gr 11 will still get an invite (very flawed system on AFM's part) but thats how it goes.

the program is quite competitive, and even when youre in AFM, it is still pretty competitive from what ive heard from friends.

I dont know what the deadline is for submitting 2nd sem 1st term marks is relative to the deadline for accepting you guys, but they SHOULD wait for your 2nd sem 1st term marks. if you believe you are able to attain better marks than your data mark, youll be fine in terms of marks.

The AIF is scored out of 12 and added to your mark. But the AFMAA I have been told is very important. Plus the first set of offers go to the top few on the AFMAA. Marks:AFMAA:AIF = 100:75:12 ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0