yconic - AFM PA vs. FM
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

AFM PA vs. FM

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
hey guys

If I pick PA, will I be able to take some of the FM co-op jobs if I opt not to become a CA anymore? I'm kind of stuck between getting CA, CFA or teaching (haha yes i know kinda random).
And if I apply to PA and I don't get in, will I automatically get considered for the FM stream of AFM?

thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of g93 g93

@echan319 wrote
hey guys

If I pick PA, will I be able to take some of the FM co-op jobs if I opt not to become a CA anymore? I'm kind of stuck between getting CA, CFA or teaching (haha yes i know kinda random).
And if I apply to PA and I don't get in, will I automatically get considered for the FM stream of AFM?

thanks

I am fairly confident that the PA and FM co-op are separate. But why would you want the FM jobs anyways if you're in PA? I have been told that if you are in FM and want to be a CA, you must find your own co-op job basically, so I'm sure it works the other way around.

If you do not get into PA, you will be considered for FM. Although the chances of getting into FM aren't that high either. But you will be considered. Most people end up with the alternate offer to Arts-Business (oh joy!)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andyroxs andyroxs
go into PA. you'll have more job opportunities. im biotech/ca, i know
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
^ True. Always go for the better/more prestigious. You can always drop down.

I chose PA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of missblair missblair
OP, yes you will be able to apply to the FM jobs through jobmine if you're in PA and decide you want don't want to become a CA. It just doesn't work the other way when you're in FM and want to be a CA because you can't apply to the CA jobs that PA students get access to through jobmine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@missblair wrote
OP, yes you will be able to apply to the FM jobs through jobmine if you're in PA and decide you want don't want to become a CA. It just doesn't work the other way when you're in FM and want to be a CA because you can't apply to the CA jobs that PA students get access to through jobmine.

Good to know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
It's just that I really want to go to waterloo and wouldn't mind going to AFMPA or FM but I can't apply to both of them. So if I get apply to PA, i just want to know that I will for sure be considered for FM stream as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
I've heard some PA applicants get alternate offer to FM.

That's ^ not much important though. The important thing is which route do you want to take - Accounting or Finance?

If you see yourself working in the Finance field, apply FM. If you see yourself in Accounting field, apply PA.

That's how I decided at least. I, as well, do not know for sure which field I want to go into, but as of now, I see myself leaning slightly more towards Accounting than Finance, yet it is a very close call.

I applied to AFM-PA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0