yconic - AFMAA Emergency QUestions *HELPP*
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

AFMAA Emergency QUestions *HELPP*

A photo of EdwardZ EdwardZ
1) For AFMAA, does spelling error matter? cant spell sometimes without spell check ;p

2) How many essays exactly do you have to write?

3) Does grammar matter, weight a lot?

4) Are we using a pen or a pencil, if we do use pen, do I just cross it out the parts I did wrong to fix it?

5) Are we gonna be given paper to do an outline or possibly a draft before we start writing the essays?

6) Are we allowed to bring our backpacks into the room with us?

Thanks in advance for your inputs, thank yall ;p
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

any AFM current students who ve been through all this, any advice for tomorrow, much appreciated ;p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Any answer would be appreciated XD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
I'll tell u what i know :P see u there tomorrow! :P

1) they check for coherence, knowledge of english, sentence structure and grammar. so for punctuation/spelling/grammar stuff- i would say try to be as perfect as possible :P

2) we get 2 or 3 essas to write in 2 hours.

3) check 1. dunno bout weight.

4) you can use either. ima use pencil though, or erasable pen :P for the scratching out. dunno -guess thats the only thing. wonder about white out??

5) they probs will give u scrap paper

6)no idea. why would u need it?

PS. BRING PHOTO ID- GOVERNMENT ISSUED (healthcard, passport, driver's license etc

luck tomorrow!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Windsons4, thank you very much, good luck to u as well, see u tmr
Was this helpful? Yes 0

np :) and yup!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman
1. See Windsongs4's response.

2. 2 or 3 (it was 2 last year, 3 the year prior...)

3. I wouldn't imagine it carries a huge weight, but I'm not an admissions person so I really can't say that with certainty. As well, if you're essays are incoherent and sentences make little sense, it will be hard for the marker/evaluator to figure out what you're saying. If you use the wrong there/their/they're or something that's not as big of a deal as complete incoherence.

4. We were told we have to use pen. If you would prefer using pencil I'd suggest bringing both just in case they let you, but definitely bring a pen. And yes, scratch it out and try to keep it as neat as you can. The proctors will give you more information on this type of thing when you're in the room.

5. You are provided with a UW exam booklet. It has a cover with the AFMAA barcode (your ID # only). Inside there's blank lined pages. The inside covers are both blank. You can use the booklet however you want. Take a couple pages and use them for outlines/rough work if you want. Just note that it's rough work and clearly indicate where you start/end your essays.

6. I can't remember, but you will be instructed on what to do tomorrow. You can always ask someone in the morning so that you can leave your bag with your parent(s) or w/e. If you are allowed to bring them into the room, I assume they will make you leave them at the front/back of the room (common practice for our exams).

Advice:

1) Stay calm. Don't freak out, and take your time. Don't be afraid to take a deep breath and give your hand/head a rest.

2) Read what Waterloo is looking for, and have that in your mind when you go to answer the questions.

3) Bring spare pens.

4) Enjoy the morning! Talk to current students and faculty members, tour the SAF building, check out the panels and information booths. It's a great chance to learn more about the program. A lot of people are really sold after attending.

5) Get something to eat/drink before you write. Get away from the crowds of people for a minute and replenish (helped me).

6) Get a good night's sleep! (hurry)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

hey caveman! Thank you so much caveman, I knew you'd come for rescue LOL, those are some really great tips, thank you once again and Windsongs4
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@EdwardZ wrote
hey caveman! Thank you so much caveman, I knew you'd come for rescue LOL, those are some really great tips, thank you once again and Windsongs4

No problem. Good luck tomorrow!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thanks caveman for the tips!

i laughed at 6. "get a good night's sleep (hurry)" :P:P

and good idea posting this edwardz :)

off to bed now :P t
Was this helpful? Yes 0

One more tip:

"I like to think of the AFMAA as Waterloo saying 'Please go on, we'd love to hear more about you'." From some Waterloo student off of the AFMAA site.

If you're going into the AFMAA as cool as a cucumber, treat it as Gavin said above. Think like you've got it, and Waterloo just wants to hear more about you. This is how you show it to them. Write like a boss and then bam! you're in. Don't be all worried about it and think "oh my answer was wrong" and all that. They are asking for YOU to write about YOURSELF and how YOU think. It's about YOU, so no one knows that better than you. As long as you can get your thoughts onto the paper, you're golden.
Was this helpful? Yes 0