yconic - AFMAA Invites - Last Day
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

AFMAA Invites - Last Day

A photo of Virtuoso Virtuoso
Today is the last day to get your AFMAA invites, did anyone get theirs yet?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
26 replies

A photo of dents27 dents27
I got mine about a week before the AIF was due, i had an 88.25% with first semester gr 12 marks and adv. functions taken in grade 11
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Finance27 Finance27
Got it but not going.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@Finance27 wrote
Got it but not going.

Really? Why not?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@caveman wrote

@Finance27 wrote
Got it but not going.

Really? Why not?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tusaani tusaani

@Finance27 wrote

@caveman wrote

@Finance27 wrote
Got it but not going.

Really? Why not?

got accepted to schulich, and i wouldnt choose afm over that.

Similar vein... $75 to write it with a Queen's acceptance so nope. Sleeping in the day of ;)

*and Finance27 just deleted part of his comment so now I look like an idiot :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Did you get the invite today?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@tusaani wrote

@Finance27 wrote

@caveman wrote

@Finance27 wrote
Got it but not going.

Really? Why not?

got accepted to schulich, and i wouldnt choose afm over that.

Similar vein... $75 to write it with a Queen's acceptance so nope. Sleeping in the day of ;)

*and Finance27 just deleted part of his comment so now I look like an idiot :p

Yea didn't want to change anyone's views on the program...but it is the reason, and i'll be sleeping in too :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of alexandrasiu alexandrasiu
Sorry but where does it say that March 12th is the last day for invitations?

http://www.saf.uwaterloo.ca/afm/AFMAA.html

and where would you check for the invitation? on Quest? or your e-mail?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@alexandrasiu wrote

I think some people got that date from Patty Mah (a big part of the SAF). I only heard mid-March, so not 100% sure, but it's also possible that March 12th is just a target date.

Last year the invitations came by email. I don't imagine that would change.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Laffysx Laffysx

@alexandrasiu wrote

It says so in the email they sent us... If you got it...

Dear ....

Now that you’ve applied to the Accounting and Financial Management (AFM) program at the University of Waterloo, you may be wondering about your admission status. This letter provides an explanation of the AFM admissions process and schedule.

The School of Accounting and Finance (SAF) believes in the importance of assessing applicants, like you, on more than just marks. Admission to the Accounting and Financial Management program is based on a number of factors:

1. your academic record,

2. your performance in the AFM Admission Assignment (AFMAA), and

3. evaluation of your Admission Information Form (AIF).

The SAF Admissions Committee reviews the academic records of all applicants to determine eligibility to write the AFMAA, scheduled for Saturday, March 31, 2012. All eligible applicants are invited on an ongoing basis. Electronic invitations have begun and will continue as grades are received from OUAC until March 12th, 2012. All applicants will be contacted by March 12th 2012.

Important Fall 2012 dates to note:

· Your completed AIF is due no later than February 29, 2012.

· Invitations to write the AFMAA will be sent to all eligible applicants by March 12

· The University of Waterloo’s March Break Open House event is happening on March 13th and 14th.

· If invited to the AFMAA, you will be required to register by 11:59pm EDT, March 20, 2012.

· Offers of Admission to the AFM program will be released via email during the week of May 14, 2012. For more details please visit www.findoutmore.uwaterloo.ca.

If you have any general questions about the AFM admissions process, please contact Patty Mah – 519-888-4567, extension 37152 or afm@uwaterloo.ca.

All the best,

Patty Mah

School of Accounting and Finance

University of Waterloo

Note: This is an automated message. We are not able to respond to messages sent to this e-mail account.

I got this email on Feb 22, 2012.

Im really worried :( I havent gotten the invite yet either. I havent even gotten a rejection. By the looks of that email it looks like all applicant should be contacted today acceptence/rejection. I really don't want to wait till tomorrow to contact them and find out why I haven't recieved an email confirming or denying me.

I also think it's stupid that they consider grade 11 math for this WRITTEN test >_< especially since I have both maths in second semester... If they had my math marks right now my average would be 89%. But now I'm probably not gonna get accepted for this WRITTEN TEST (I have 91% in ENGLISH! :() cause of my 67% in Grade ELEVEN math.. OH WELL.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
If you are not invited to the AFMAA, if I recall correctly, you are not notified. You will be notified on your rejection to the program overall in May though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Just got an email telling me that they regret to inform me that I am not eligible to write the AFMAA. Not sure what grades they were looking at . . . but my marks were as follows: 91 Advanced Functions, 86 English, 85 Data Management, 80 Interdisciplinary Studies, 78 International Business (don't ask why it was so low ... screwed up teacher).

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote
If you are not invited to the AFMAA, if I recall correctly, you are not notified. You will be notified on your rejection to the program overall in May though.

I was just going to post this same thing, but apparently Virtuoso's post just disproved this :P

To Virtuoso: I'm sorry to hear. If your Grade 11 marks were lower, they may have looked at some of them and decided they were too low (especially if they are prereqs). Don't let this bring you down though and good luck on the rest of your applications!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Laffysx Laffysx
Yeah I just got rejected too. My grade 11 marks were not even that bad, I still had an 83 average including my 67% in Grade 11 math. At least they had the courtesy to email and tell me to apply to a different program. I guess I'll just apply to Mcmaster Business.

Warning 2 all future applicants. Make sure you have 80+ in Grade 11 and 12 Maths and English, you won't get accepted otherwise.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of anthonyt94 anthonyt94
That's not true.
Grade 11 Advanced Functions: 76%
Grade 11 English: 78%
Grade 12 Advanced Function: 90%
Grade 12 English: 92%

Whether or not they base their offers on Grade 11, I'm not sure of. However, I do know that my Grade 11 English and Adv Functions marks were below 80% and I got accepted to write the test today. My average for this semester was 93%
Maybe call them and ask how they base their decisions if your curious as to why you didn't get the opportunity to write the test.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Laffysx wrote
Yeah I just got rejected too. My grade 11 marks were not even that bad, I still had an 83 average including my 67% in Grade 11 math. At least they had the courtesy to email and tell me to apply to a different program. I guess I'll just apply to Mcmaster Business.

Warning 2 all future applicants. Make sure you have 80+ in Grade 11 and 12 Maths and English, you won't get accepted otherwise.

It's 75 in English and 70% in functions.

Yeah, to all of those who don't get an invite: apply somewhere else- even if you don't want to apply to a school you feel like going to (and many supp app deadlines have passed) just apply somewhere random like Algoma (no offence to Algoma) and get an acceptance package! good luck on your other applications too!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of alexandrasiu alexandrasiu
Alright, I called them to ask about the deadline and they said that invitations will also be sent out tomorrow? Hopefully.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of yh94 yh94
I just got an invitation for the AFMAA...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tempurabits tempurabits

@yh94 wrote

Did you get a rejection letter on the 12th?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of yh94 yh94

@tempurabits wrote

@yh94 wrote

Did you get a rejection letter on the 12th?

Nope.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21

@caveman wrote

@Laffysx wrote

It's 75 in English and 70% in functions.

Yeah, to all of those who don't get an invite: apply somewhere else- even if you don't want to apply to a school you feel like going to (and many supp app deadlines have passed) just apply somewhere random like Algoma (no offence to Algoma) and get an acceptance package! good luck on your other applications too!

I think the 80% requirements will start for next years applicants.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of butterfly12 butterfly12
Hey guys

I got my rejection letter just two days ago and am really confused. Here are my marks:

First Semester Final Avg: %87.25

All completed grade 12 courses avg: %86.8

Grade 11 English: %76 (you need at least %75 to be eligible to write afmaa)
Grade 11 Functions: %78 (a friend who called about his rejection email was told they expected at least a %70 in gr 11 functions)

Grade 11 cumulative avg (both semesters) : %80.5

6 Grade 11 courses + 7 Grade 12 courses (all marks entered into OUAC) avg: %82.6

Current potential top 6 avg: %88.5

English (ENG4U) - %95
Advanced Functions (MHF4U)- %94
Business Leadership (BOH4M: taken in grade 11) - %92
International Business (BBB4M: taken in grade 11) - %90
Data Management(MDM4U) - %82
Investment and Finance (IDC4U) - %78

HOW DID I NOT GET INVITED!!! and what do you guys suggest i do !!! should i go to waterloo and speak with patty mah ??? :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PrettyWoman PrettyWoman

@butterfly12 wrote
Hey guys

I got my rejection letter just two days ago and am really confused. Here are my marks:

Grade 11 Functions: %78 (a friend who called about his rejection email was told they expected at least a %70 in gr 11 functions)

6 Grade 11 courses + 7 Grade 12 courses (all marks entered into OUAC) avg: %82.6

English (ENG4U) - %95

HOW DID I NOT GET INVITED!!! and what do you guys suggest i do !!! should i go to waterloo and speak with patty mah ??? :(

did you check ouac and see if they submitted your marks correctly? I would recommend checking your ouac account first, and if they did submit some marks incorrectly, the afmaa people will re-evaluate your application again. also, there's no harm in calling patty mah and asking i guess?? you have nothing to lose, but do it asap because the deadline to sign up for afmaa is march 21st
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@butterfly12 wrote

Well there's likely your problem.

If you really want in, just call them and ask them to review your application. You've got nothing to lose.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Viking21 Viking21

@PrettyWoman wrote

@butterfly12 wrote
Hey guys

English (ENG4U) - %95

did you check ouac and see if they submitted your marks correctly? I would recommend checking your ouac account first, and if they did submit some marks incorrectly, the afmaa people will re-evaluate your application again. also, there's no harm in calling patty mah and asking i guess?? you have nothing to lose, but do it asap because the deadline to sign up for afmaa is march 21st

You have a good case. If travelling is not a problem with you then you should go there and personally argue this. I know friends who got invitations with worse marks...it actually surprises me...and they got a invitation in feb.

Also did other people from your school get invitations...I know waterloo looks at previous grads that came from your high school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0