yconic - AFM-FM for CA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

AFM-FM for CA

A photo of jefferyupaul jefferyupaul
Hey guys, I just got 'alternated' from PA into FM for the AFM program at Waterloo. If I am aiming to become a CA, what will the major differences be if i was in PA? Is it only that FM coop placements wont find you CA placements?

BTW, do you need to do co-op at CA training offices to be eligible to become a CA, or is that exempted if you do the MAcc (Masters of Accounting 5th year)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
The difference is that PA students get access to Waterloo's JobMine, where the recruiters post their CA jobs. FM students will have to go out and get these jobs on their own.

As a result, it is harder to get Big 4 and CATO jobs while in FM, although far from impossible.

You must be at a CATO to have your experience count. The MAcc does not exempt you from the CA experience requirements, only the two exams (CKE + SOA)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iDream iDream

@thecookiemonster wrote
The difference is that PA students get access to Waterloo's JobMine, where the recruiters post their CA jobs. FM students will have to go out and get these jobs on their own.

As a result, it is harder to get Big 4 and CATO jobs while in FM, although far from impossible.

You must be at a CATO to have your experience count. The MAcc does not exempt you from the CA experience requirements, only the two exams (CKE + SOA)

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jefferyupaul jefferyupaul
so you guys still think its worth it to accept if I'm going for my CA? or should i switch my designation to a CFA - but can't i do that side by side with my CA?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@jefferyupaul wrote
so you guys still think its worth it to accept if I'm going for my CA? or should i switch my designation to a CFA - but can't i do that side by side with my CA?

Hmm, I always thought you could get your CFA after your CA. I think that would be a better step.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster

@waazup wrote

@jefferyupaul wrote

Hmm, I always thought you could get your CFA after your CA. I think that would be a better step.

You could, although there would be little point to it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted