yconic - AFM-FM or QC
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

AFM-FM or QC

A photo of jennyau jennyau
I am having trouble deciding between these two programs.

For Queen's I like the environment, and I like how you don't specialize until second/third year but it lacks co-op and that is my main concern.

For AFM - FM I love how there is co-op because it will definitely help me land a job in the future.

how important do you guys think is co-op in terms of jobs after graduation?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
What do you want to do?

If it's accounting go to AFM, but if you're unsure go to Queen's
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Personally I would choose Queen's unless you would really like to go to Waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leaves02 leaves02
I have the same strugggle!

Although co-op makes it easier to gain working experience while studying, Queen's career service centre also helps students with job hunting right? But does anyone have any idea that HOW WELL does Queen's career service centre help you?

Accounting is what interests me the most in business, and I like how I can start earning designation fulfillments starting from day 1. But Queen's record of 90% graduates pass UFE the first time they write (the best in Canada) really impresses me too. Another thing is that my mind always changes and i'm unsure if i would still want to do accounting or even business in the future...

Please give any advice you may have!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jennyau jennyau

@leaves02 wrote
But does anyone have any idea that HOW WELL does Queen's career service centre help you?

BUMP
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@leaves02 wrote
I have the same strugggle!

Although co-op makes it easier to gain working experience while studying, Queen's career service centre also helps students with job hunting right? But does anyone have any idea that HOW WELL does Queen's career service centre help you?

Accounting is what interests me the most in business, and I like how I can start earning designation fulfillments starting from day 1. But Queen's record of 90% graduates pass UFE the first time they write (the best in Canada) really impresses me too. Another thing is that my mind always changes and i'm unsure if i would still want to do accounting or even business in the future...

Please give any advice you may have!

The last time it was released, Queen's UFE pass rate was 95% actually :P

I would say Queen's. It's not as if it's accounting program is inferior. I would put it on the same level as AFM-FM or even higher, and since you are not in a restrictive program I would think it is the better choice for someone like you.

I don't know exactly how much Queen's career centre helps you, as I have never attended QC, but a large amount of QC students are able to secure summer internships, so either QC students don't need their help or the career centre does provide some valuable help. Most of the students who go to QC are going to be smart, talented, driven people who with a little bit of guidance should be able to land a decent summer internship. Not everyone will be, but some of those who don't are probably the same people who lack initiative and talent.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QueensHSL2011 QueensHSL2011
Hey guys! I just answered a lot of these concerns on the "Queen's Internships" thread:

For a lot of fields, the process to finding a summer interships starts the week before school starts in September: Career Week. Recruiters are on-site and the Business Career Centre is holding workshops on job search, resume preparation, etc. Throughout the fall, firms will continuously be at Queen's holding information sessions and interviews (applicants generally travel to Toronto for final interviews). Industries such as finance and banking will undergo the same process but starting in January.

The Business Career Centre (BCC) (http://business.queensu.ca/student_career_services/index.php) is extremely involved in this process. On a weekly basis, they are announcing which firms are on campus that week, when the info sessions are as well as a posting job openings. You can schedule one-on-one appointments with one of the counsellors as well as attend workshops throughout the year. While finding a summer intership definitely requires active work on students' part, the BCC is an excellent resource, they help quite a bit. We're lucky at QC that we have our own Career Centre instead of sharing it with the rest of the school.

There are a few reasons why Queen's opts out of a co-op program. One is that firms recognize the strength of the program and are extremely interested in recruiting QC students which means we have a lot of success in finding internships without having to possibly extend the length of studies. In addition, just as Queen's is a community, the students at QC become extremely close over 4 years. Personally, being able to graduate at the same time as all my classmates fosters strong bonds of friendship and is something that was important to me. This wouldn't be possible with a co-op program. More importantly still, over 80% of students at QC chose to go on exchange during 3rd year, another opportunity which might be lost with a co-op program.

As I mentionned, the Big 4 accoutning firms hire about 10 QC students each a summer (not counting the smaller firms). If accounting is what you are interested in, there are many many opportunities for summer interships.

If you have any other questions please feel free to PM us, post a follow up here or post of the Facebook Fanpage!

Hope that helps :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0