yconic - AFM-FM question
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

AFM-FM question

A photo of Nanners Nanners
Hello everyone, so I know acceptances have not been given out for AFM but I have a few burning questions:

1) Is the AFM-FM program suitable for becoming a CA? I applied to FM stream as I am not completely sure on becoming a CA and thought it would be easier to get in seeing as how there are more spots and the exceptions were also were tempting.

2) How hard is it to get co-op at a CA firm in FM stream? Does anyone have any stories or anecdotes from their friends in reference to the difficulty in getting a job in a Big 4 A firm?

I have also received acceptances from Schulich BBA and Laurier/ Waterloo DD and was wondering if these would be better paths.

thank you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of g93 g93
1) It is the same as the PA section, you can specialize in accounting )CA), accounting (CMA) or finance in either PA or FM. The only difference is that PA students get access to JobMine (CA jobs) for co-op. FM students must find their own jobs. Not too big of a deal. So if you want to be a CA, PA is better, but FM is better.

2) There is a link I will get you with numbers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nanners Nanners
Aight cool thanks g93.knew i can count on you lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of whatchusaying whatchusaying
1) You can, but its not the best way to do it. IMO if you're not in PA don't waste your time with FM and go to Schulich instead.

2) There's always like 3 or 4 kids who get B4 jobs, but don't get your hopes up as a FM student. PA something like quarter get a B4, 39% (I think? Can't remember) get traditional CATOs (i.e. public accounting firms) and a couple more get non-traditional CATOs (i.e. industry).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@whatchusaying wrote
1) You can, but its not the best way to do it. IMO if you're not in PA don't waste your time with FM and go to Schulich instead.

2) There's always like 3 or 4 kids who get B4 jobs, but don't get your hopes up as a FM student. PA something like quarter get a B4, 39% (I think? Can't remember) get traditional CATOs (i.e. public accounting firms) and a couple more get non-traditional CATOs (i.e. industry).

Are you in AFM?

I can't find the link atm, but last year I think PA was 39% got national CA Firm Jobs, which does include the Big 4, BDO, Grant Thornton and possibly Collins Barrow I think), I don't really remember FM stats but I'm pretty sure the number would have been a little higher than 3 or 4 kids, I'm remembering 11% (random?). You could be right, I could very well be wrong, we both could...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of whatchusaying whatchusaying
Yep, I just finished up first year in the PA stream.

Attending recruiting events, I met a grand total of.. 1 B4 FM kid. I know there are probably some others out there, but word spreads around the program whenever an FM student ends up at one of the B4, probably because they all want to get in but so few do. You can generally get a feel of how many FM kids end up in B4 positions.

I just tried to access the statistics but Waterloo seems to have wiped the Winter 2011 term stats :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted