yconic - AFM-FM vs. Schulich BBA vs. Laurier BBA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

AFM-FM vs. Schulich BBA vs. Laurier BBA

A photo of rdthegame rdthegame
If the goal is to become a CA, which is the best and why?
Discuss like hell.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of g93 g93
It depends. All of these schools are good.

Consider (in no particular order):

- environment (do you fit in, do you want to go there, will )
- campus (will you be living on rez, is the campus nice)
- tuition (AFM is expensive, WLU and Schulich aren't)
- co-op (is it that important to you)
- anything else you can think of (eg prestige, do you want to be able to say "I go to schulich")

They are all good schools. Pick the one that is right for YOU.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Does one hold a good chance of getting into a firm after graduation from FM? and if so, what does that person have to do?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@rdthegame wrote
Does one hold a good chance of getting into a firm after graduation from FM? and if so, what does that person have to do?

Pretty good. Network.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thewright thewright
^^ Clear Inbox G93
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@thewright wrote
^^ Clear Inbox G93

Fixed
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Are the chances of getting into a firm better than laurier or schulich?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@rdthegame wrote
Are the chances of getting into a firm better than laurier or schulich?

Depends on what kind of firm you are talking about.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm talking about any CA firm. The reason, imo, why AFM may hold more bearing in terms of CA is b/c of their rep and their exemptions. But, if i have a much better chance to get into a firm at schulich or laurier (b/c i've been differed to fm), then i may just have to go there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
It's hard to accurately determine the numbers for FM, since many of the people want finance jobs, and aren't concerned with Big 4 and CATO firms.

13% of FM students are in national or regional public accounting firms (this does not include people at CATOs in industry or government).

Depending on how many actually wanted CATO jobs, this number could be good or bad.

FM definitely won't have better numbers, but I don't think they will be significantly lower than Schulich or Laurier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

is that 13 percent for the co-op students, or 13% for the people who have graduated?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@rdthegame wrote
is that 13 percent for the co-op students, or 13% for the people who have graduated?

co-op
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rpunn14 rpunn14
IF you are planning on getting a CA, you'd be making a mistake by not going to Schulich. I am entering my second year at Schulich, and will be switching to Ivey if I decide to specialize in finance. Otherwise, I will be staying at Schulich for accounting.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@rpunn14 wrote
IF you are planning on getting a CA, you'd be making a mistake by not going to Schulich. I am entering my second year at Schulich, and will be switching to Ivey if I decide to specialize in finance. Otherwise, I will be staying at Schulich for accounting.

Why would i be making a mistake by not going to SSB? What does schulich have that makes it amazing for accounting?
Was this helpful? Yes 0