yconic - AFM-PA Vs Schulich BBA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

AFM-PA Vs Schulich BBA

A photo of Sidhu13 Sidhu13
I've applied to several universities and I'm pretty confident that the marks I have will get me into both Unis. With that being said I'm torn between Schulich BBA and Waterloo AFM-PA. I wanna become a CA so Waterloo has caught my attention. I've done a bit of research and Waterloo lets you skip 2 exams and saves you 2 years(not so sure about this one). So can guy guys let me know from what research you've done the pros and cons of these two programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
36 replies

A photo of Singh Singh

@Sidhu13 wrote
I've applied to several universities and I'm pretty confident that the marks I have will get me into both Unis. With that being said I'm torn between Schulich BBA and Waterloo AFM-PA. I wanna become a CA so Waterloo has caught my attention. I've done a bit of research and Waterloo lets you skip 2 exams and saves you 2 years(not so sure about this one). So can guy guys let me know from what research you've done the pros and cons of these two programs.

lol, im in the same dilemma as you. If your 110% sure that you want to become a CA then Waterloo is better cause u get a Masters, u get coop, and u skip the first 2 exams. If your not sure, then Schulich is a great school with a great reputation. In Schulich, u can finish the 51 credit hrs within the program and the Big 4 heavily recruit from there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
What's your average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Singh Singh

@g93 wrote
What's your average?

Mine?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Singh wrote

@g93 wrote
What's your average?

Mine?

Other guy. You can share yours if you want I guess.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BAcc2015 BAcc2015

@Sidhu13 wrote

I would say Waterloo has a much stronger program than Schulich. Waterloo's program is geared towarda accounting and with the points you made about doing about 16 months of billable hours while you're a student and skipping the SOA/CKE, it definitely comes out on top.

One thing: if you do not have a cumulative 75% average (I think 75%) upon graduating, you cannot enroll in the Masters of Accountancy or the certificate course to gain the few credits that are not available in the undergraduate program. And the only way you can skip the SOA and CKE is if you do the Masters.

]

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well my average right now is a 90.2 with 5 courses excluding Calc so I'm aiming for about a 92 after everything is said and done.

Singh, which 51 hours are you referring to? I thought there were only 30 hours (ICAO accredited). I'm still sorta confused, Schulich would take you 7 years to get the CA and Waterloo 5? Is that number correct because 2 years makes a huge difference to me.

Also, BAcc, so you're obviously referring to the 75% average in 4th year Waterloo right? Not the accumulative average in all 4 years. And correct me if I'm wrong but a 75 doesn't seem that hard to maintain, or does a 75 equal a 90%+ in highschool?

Lastly, is there any difference between the AFM-PA and Math/CA program in terms of the amount of time it takes to get your CA. Thanks guys, this is helpful.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Sidhu13 wrote
Well my average right now is a 90.2 with 5 courses excluding Calc so I'm aiming for about a 92 after everything is said and done.

nd you're pretty confident you'll get in?

@Sidhu13 wrote

Singh, which 51 hours are you referring to? I thought there were only 30 hours (ICAO accredited). I'm still sorta confused, Schulich would take you 7 years to get the CA and Waterloo 5? Is that number correct because 2 years makes a huge difference to me.

51 credit-hours:
Courses Hours
Financial accounting (introductory, intermediate and advanced) 15
Cost and management accounting 6
Advanced accounting elective 3
Auditing 9
Taxation 6
Business information systems 3
Finance/financial management 3
Economics 3
Law 3
Total credit hours 51

But:
@ICAO wrote
University of Waterloo
Master of Accounting (MAcc)
Graduates of this program are considered to have met the following ICAO educational requirements: the 4-year, 120-credit-hour bachelor degree, the 51-credit-hour requirement and the ICAO Professional Program. As a result, graduates of this program are eligible to write the Uniform Evaluation (UFE) immediately after graduation.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Minimum MAcc Admission Requirements:
1. Successful completion of any of the following University of Waterloo four-year Honours undergraduate degrees with at least a 75% average in the last two years:
 Bachelor of Accounting and Financial Management
 BMath Chartered Accountancy Studies, or
 BSc in Biotechnology Chartered Accountancy Studies
All undergraduate degree requirements must be met by February 1, 2011. Students who do not meet this requirement are not permitted to complete the MAcc program.
AND
2. Completion of one of the following two sets of AFM courses with at least a 75% average:
(random list of classes)

Source: http://accounting.uwaterloo.ca/macc/documents/PIG2011Sep13_10-3_001.pdf

Haha this is what scared me off Waterloo. I know it's a competitive environment so I don't know how easy or hard it is to maintain the 75% in your last two years. But if you look at the table on Page 7, only 127 students were admitted to the Masters. That's down from 138 in 2008.

Does anyone know how many people are admitted to BAFM every year?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Seems like a raw deal if you don't make it to the Masters. All you get is a BAFM undergrad degree that cost ($15,000 x 3 + $6000) = $51,000. You don't even have all the 51 credit hours. Nor can you skip the CKE or SOA.

You could have gotten a Schulich undergraduate degree which is arguably more prestigious for $24,000 ($6,000 x 4).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@BAcc2015 wrote

This year: 85 into PA, 215 into FM

About the same last year
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smith100 smith100

@Sidhu13 wrote

Also, BAcc, so you're obviously referring to the 75% average in 4th year Waterloo right? Not the accumulative average in all 4 years. And correct me if I'm wrong but a 75 doesn't seem that hard to maintain, or does a 75 equal a 90%+ in highschool?

Lastly, is there any difference between the AFM-PA and Math/CA program in terms of the amount of time it takes to get your CA. Thanks guys, this is helpful.

AFM isn't purely average based, Schulich is. Even if it was 90.2 is probably the very lowest that anyone got in with last year, rofl, don't be so cocky.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote
And you're pretty confident you'll get in?

Yeah I feel pretty good about a 92 actually.

@g93 wrote

51 credit-hours:
Courses Hours
Financial accounting (introductory, intermediate and advanced) 15
Cost and management accounting 6
Advanced accounting elective 3
Auditing 9
Taxation 6
Business information systems 3
Finance/financial management 3
Economics 3
Law 3
Total credit hours 51

So what my question really is, the advantage that Waterloo graduates have is that after they graduate, they can immediately write the UFE and they have less ICAO hours to complete whereas Schulich you compelete the same 51 hours in 4 years but have to complete an additional (x) number of hours and the other 2 exams. Do I got it right now?

And g93 where are you planning on going?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@BAcc2015 wrote

About the same last year

So out of an original class of 300, ~130 make it to the Masters. :|
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Sidhu13 wrote

@g93 wrote
And you're pretty confident you'll get in?

Yeah I feel pretty good about a 92 actually.

am so scared that I won't get in.

@Sidhu13 wrote

So what my question really is, the advantage that Waterloo graduates have is that after they graduate, they can immediately write the UFE and they have less ICAO hours to complete whereas Schulich you compelete the same 51 hours in 4 years but have to complete an additional (x) number of hours and the other 2 exams. Do I got it right now?

They still need 30 months of work exp at a CATO for Waterloo (some will be got through co-op)

Waterloo you basically plan to get a MAcc (you are considered done 51 credit-hours), you get co-op, and don't have to write CKE/SOA

Schulich you get a BBA and will take less time to get 51 credit hours, but no co-op and no work exp, plus 2 extra exams

@Sidhu13 wrote

don't know. I am confident I will get in to Laurier. I am not sure about Waterloo. I originally planned on Laurier, but Waterloo is a good program. It will likely come down to scholarships and stuff. Why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Good luck g93, hope you get in, thread starter, not so much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@BAcc2015 wrote

@g93 wrote

@BAcc2015 wrote

About the same last year

That scares me :pale:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

@g93 wrote

@BAcc2015 wrote

@g93 wrote

@BAcc2015 wrote

About the same last year

Not everyone chooses to go to Masters
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@smith100 wrote

@g93 wrote

@BAcc2015 wrote

@g93 wrote

@BAcc2015 wrote

About the same last year

That's tue.. but why not?

And thank-you. Congrats on getting into the program. I don't think some people realize there is only 85 spots.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@smith100 wrote

@g93 wrote

@BAcc2015 wrote

@g93 wrote

@BAcc2015 wrote

About the same last year

That's tue.. but why not?

And thank-you. Congrats on getting into the program. I don't think some people realize there is only 85 spots.

If you're not pursuing a CA, sometimes there's no point (so specifically the FM stream). It's just more money, although some do it because a Masters does look nice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@smith100 wrote

@g93 wrote

@BAcc2015 wrote

@g93 wrote

@BAcc2015 wrote

About the same last year

No Masters = No skipping the first two CA exams
No Masters + No Diploma = 39 credit hours/ 51 credit hours

Who in their right mind would not choose to do a Masters?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Read above lol. I think there's also a diploma program, which doesn't give you a Masters but finishes your credit hours. There are probably students who choose that option instead.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@smith100 wrote
Read above lol. I think there's also a diploma program, which doesn't give you a Masters but finishes your credit hours. There are probably students who choose that option instead.

I doubt anyone willfully chooses that option. They have to do it because they don't have the grades to get into the Masters. Why would anyone choose a diploma over a Masters?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@BAcc2015 wrote

@smith100 wrote

I doubt anyone willfully chooses that option. They have to do it because they don't have the grades to get into the Masters. Why would anyone choose a diploma over a Masters?

Finishes quicker, costs less. You don't think much do you? I'm still curious if you don't understand that there's no incentive for a finance student to pursue useless credit hours.
Was this helpful? Yes 0