yconic - After university plans with a Nursing degree?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

After university plans with a Nursing degree?

A photo of Mystic93 Mystic93
So I have gotten accepted into all but one nursing programs so far (still waiting for an acceptance for Queen's) and the most common question that everyone asks is... So what are you going to do once you graduate your program?

When I tell them I just want to go to school, experience the program and see what really stands out to me before deciding, they always give me the old tilt of the head, nod and say 'Oh...'

I do have a few things that I am interested in maybe persuing but I really don't want to shut off any other options I may have. To me, this makes sense.

So my question to you is: Do you know exactly what you want to do with your degree? Or for those who may already be past this question: What have you done with your degree?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
They look at you funny because nursing is a specialized degree, and most people go into nursing, to go into nursing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo
I thought people that go into nursing are very sure they want to do nursing... If you're not sure you should've done Biomed or something of that sort :P Then you could decide on Nursing in grad school or going into Med or Physio etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I would definitely tilt my head and give you a "Huhh.." look..
I would think that most people go into nursing to be.. a.. nurse..
I didn't know there were any other options with a Nursing degree?
I don't think you could be a doctor with a nursing degree or anything crazy like that...
:bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I know exactly how you feel Mystic93. My "dream" has involved going to University/College for so many years and I knew I wanted something in the health care field, but never 100% sure that Nursing was the best thing for me.
No one knows exactly how a program will be or if it is even the right "path" for them until they actually start the program and live the life as a student. That's just how the world turns I guess. So, I don't think you're crazy or how you feel is unjustified at all... it's quite normal. :)
Most people also don't realize how diverse nursing as a profession can actually be! So many different options to choose from like specializations, and practice. And, there's the opportunity to continue your education with a MA or PHD after your undergraduate diploma! It's not as simple and dull as the media may make it out to seem.
Applying into Medicine and becoming a Doctor with the degree is possible too. Lots of people do it.
Of course I hope and plan to become a nurse with my "nursing degree" , but I'm open to any changes and don't have set expectations of what's to come.

Good luck to you. :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mystic93 Mystic93
Ok, maybe wrong choice of words.

What I meant was What type of Nursing do you want to go into? Ex. Kids, ER, out of country etc.

I would look at myself funny too if I didn't want to go into Nursing and was taking Nursing in Uni. :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chii chii
Mystic, I definitely wouldn't look at you funny! I think you're making an awesome decision to go in open minded. I don't know how someone can pigeon hole themselves without even the slightest true understanding of the profession. How can someone make a decision about something so specialized without having the knowledge first!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Mystic93 wrote
Ok, maybe wrong choice of words.

What I meant was What type of Nursing do you want to go into? Ex. Kids, ER, out of country etc.

I would look at myself funny too if I didn't want to go into Nursing and was taking Nursing in Uni. :p

Ohhh, haha that makes more sense then. I was totally confused about why you'd go into nursing if you didn't to be a nurse. But now that you clarify what you mean what KIND of nursse that's totally normal - it seems like most people in my program aren't sure either.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
I would definitely tilt my head and give you a "Huhh.." look..
I would think that most people go into nursing to be.. a.. nurse..
I didn't know there were any other options with a Nursing degree?
I don't think you could be a doctor with a nursing degree or anything crazy like that...
:bounce:

You can go to med school after a BScN (but you can with absolutely anything). You just have to make sure that you meet all the pre requisites that the med school has, which could be hard depending on the program since the curriculum is pretty set and you don't get many electives.
Was this helpful? Yes 0