yconic - AIF at Waterloo
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

AIF at Waterloo

A photo of hawk113 hawk113
I am applying for the University of Waterloo, Civil Engineering.
In engineering section in AIF they are asking about "an article or a book " I enjoyed and made an impact on me.

Should be related to engineering?
What books did you write about? At least what kind of books?
I think, there is not so much books about engineering...

I am a student in BC, and my marks are:
Calculus - 87
Chemistry - 86
Math 12 - 93
Physics - 93
English 12 - 74 after provincial and 83 before (English is my second language...)
so, the average is 86.7

Are there any good chances for me to be accepted? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
No, don't write about a book on engineering - they'll totally be able to tell that you're brown nosing lol. The AIF is simply a more indepth look at you as a person instead of a number. They want to accept students that are well rounded and not just.. well, "nerds". I am applying to Waterloo as well for their kinesiology program. What is the target admissions average for engineering? If it is high 80's you should really stretch for something in the 90s because alot of people in that program are chinese/asian and is probably the hardest program to get into Waterloo for because of that fact. Face it those kids are almost impossible to beat :|. Let me know how it goes and if you get accepted! :) I'm hoping to hear from them soon!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks man for your answer!

The problem is that I have no other opportunity to stretch my average, except for rewriting my provincial English 12.
I hope my activities and awards will impress the admissions :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Has anybody put web-links into their essays?
I am wondering if I can include a web-link on the web-site of a club I organized :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of napinhei napinhei
Personally, I wouldn't do that. I would mention a club and that you created a website, but not actually link to it. I highly doubt the admissions people would take the time to actually go to the site since they have so many AIFs to read, so you would just be wasting characters by doing so. Considering how restricting the character limit is, I would make better use of them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^^Yes they will want to see your participation, but they have to do that for nearly ever other applicant so they won't waste their time searching around for additional information on you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@hawk113 wrote
Thanks man for your answer!

The problem is that I have no other opportunity to stretch my average, except for rewriting my provincial English 12.
I hope my activities and awards will impress the admissions :compress:

Do you not have any extracurriculars and jobs and stuff to add to your AIF? Because they will look at that more than a book re:engineering. They want to see that you have great time management skills and you're well-rounded as a student/citizen. (:

-noo prob, bro! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0