yconic - alas, another university of toronto engineering thread
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

alas, another university of toronto engineering thread

A photo of madox madox
hey y'all,
so i made a thread earlier about my chances of getting into engsci, and now ive realized that my chances of getting in aren't very good, so right now im looking at track one, but probably mechanical engineering since track one seems to be very selective.

so far my final top 6 marks are:

english - 83
chemisty ~ 84-85
advanced functions - 94
calculus and vectors ~ 95
physics ~ 90, im still taking this course, and i expect my mark to go up a bit hopefully
data management - 97

my extra curriculars are okay, nothing incredible in my opinion. i've done robotics, piano, guitar, and im currently doing a co-op working with medical physicists at my local hospitals cancer program.

one thing i need to mention is i took english in summer school, but it was by no means easy. i basically went a week with only 2 hours of sleep each night.

so do i have a good chance of getting into mech eng at toronto? and sorry if this is too long, im just so worried about getting into toronto.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred
>i basically went a week with only 2 hours of sleep each night.
I don't believe you. Admit that you are exaggerating for fact.

>hey y'all,
so i made a thread earlier about my chances of getting into engsci, and now ive realized that my chances of getting in aren't very good, so right now im looking at track one, but probably mechanical engineering since track one seems to be very selective.

Your chances are fine. Marks are more than good enough, you have ECs. You'll get in.

>so do i have a good chance of getting into mech eng at toronto? and sorry if this is too long, im just so worried about getting into toronto.

Lets see.
1. 85+ average
2. At least one extracurricular

Yup. Sounds good to me.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of madox madox
yes i was exaggerating, ill admit. but i did stay up to at least 3-4 in the morning each night for a week straight.

and thanks for your feedback, it is much appreciated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred
You'll totally get in. What's your interest in mechanical engineering?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of madox madox
to be honest, i'm not quite sure. i know that mechanical engineering can lead to aerospace engineering, which i think is interesting, although an unlikely career.

i just know the types of engineering i'm not interested in (eg. chemical, civil, mineral).

this is also why i want to apply to track one, but im not certain if i'll get in since only about 250 students are accepted each year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of paulliwali paulliwali
If you are having difficulties picking between the core 8, don't stress it too much. All core 8 pretty much have the same classes, so it is easy to switch between them in the first/second semesters.

If you have to stay up that late for english in summer school then Engsci is definitely not right for you. The workload is much more than a core 8's. Our CIV 102 class is 2 years of Civ Engineer's Civ in 1 semester. So if you are having trouble with workload and work efficiency, stay out of EngSci or it will swallow you whole.

I pulled only 1 all nighter and that was for the CIV bridge project, but I know many many others that pulled all nighters for projects and assignments.
Was this helpful? Yes 0