yconic - Am I competitive for Math/CA?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Am I competitive for Math/CA?

A photo of RyanJones123 RyanJones123
Marks:

A/F: 98
Calc: 94
Data: 96
Eng: 88
Econ: 92
Accounting: 95

Avg: 93.84%

ECs:

Volunteered at 3-4 places (all for at least several months to 1 year+)
Two previous work experiences (both in an assistant accountant/bookkeeper position)
Two other general volunteer experience (not extensive)
Few awards (1 honor roll, 2 from volunteer places, 2 from work)
No previous contests

As honest as possible, am I a competitive applicant for the Math/CA program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of callie2039 callie2039
yes you are. your math marks are pretty outstanding, and to be honest i dont think UW looks very carefully at ECs or volunteer.

do well on the euclid and you should be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Yours marks are just a tad bit lower than mine but your ECs are probably better than mine and I was accepted - I think you are definitely very competitive
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@callie2039 wrote
yes you are. your math marks are pretty outstanding, and to be honest i dont think UW looks very carefully at ECs or volunteer.

Thanks a lot for the reply! I'll try my best on the Euclid, though I don't think I'll get anywhere near a "high" score. May I know your average (and a brief summary of your ECs, if possible)?

@immaculatedx wrote
Yours marks are just a tad bit lower than mine but your ECs are probably better than mine and I was accepted - I think you are definitely very competitive

Thanks a lot for the reply! May I know your average (and a brief summary of your ECs, if possible)?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of callie2039 callie2039
dont worry about euclid; from what i hear it can only help your mark (and is pretty useful for scholarships too) :) their previous tests should be enough to get you ready.
http://www.cemc.uwaterloo.ca/contests/past_contests.html

i had similar grades to you actually, haha.:compress:
final marks:
a/f 98, econ 99, eng 98, chem 93, bio 94

this sem, so far:
accounting 99, french 98, calc 96, human growth 93 (-_-')

as for ECs, i'm Student council pres, and a couple of other execs in school councils/clubs. oh i also qualified for deca internationals, but i dont think they really cared about that...

you never asked about math contests, but i think they put considerable value on them. ive done well on the 9-11 ones, but ive never written the Euclid, so i was kind of surprised to get my offer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@callie2039 wrote
dont worry about euclid; from what i hear it can only help your mark (and is pretty useful for scholarships too) :) their previous tests should be enough to get you ready.
http://www.cemc.uwaterloo.ca/contests/past_contests.html

i had similar grades to you actually, haha.:compress:
final marks:
a/f 98, econ 99, eng 98, chem 93, bio 94

this sem, so far:
accounting 99, french 98, calc 96, human growth 93 (-_-')

as for ECs, i'm Student council pres, and a couple of other execs in school councils/clubs. oh i also qualified for deca internationals, but i dont think they really cared about that...

you never asked about math contests, but i think they put considerable value on them. ive done well on the 9-11 ones, but ive never written the Euclid, so i was kind of surprised to get my offer.

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I haven't done any previous contests, which I'm really worried about :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jzliu jzliu
Oh yay... that makes me competitive as well...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@RyanJones123 wrote

@callie2039 wrote

Thanks a lot for the reply! I'll try my best on the Euclid, though I don't think I'll get anywhere near a "high" score. May I know your average (and a brief summary of your ECs, if possible)?

@immaculatedx wrote

Thanks a lot for the reply! May I know your average (and a brief summary of your ECs, if possible)?

Top 6 avg at acceptances was 95.5 (With all prereqs). ECs included lifeguarding and teaching swimming, Investors club, and some small things that sound better than they ar, like prefects, yebo copywriter etc. I did a couple business competitions like the WLU stock market comp and the Sprott business competition as well.

I actually had NO math contest which I why I was surprised to be accepted
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote
Top 6 avg at acceptances was 95.5 (With all prereqs). ECs included lifeguarding and teaching swimming, Investors club, and some small things that sound better than they ar, like prefects, yebo copywriter etc. I did a couple business competitions like the WLU stock market comp and the Sprott business competition as well.

I actually had NO math contest which I why I was surprised to be accepted

Thanks for the info! My average is a little under 2% from yours, so hopefully my AIF can pull me up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0