yconic - Am I good enough for CompSci @ UofT SG?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Am I good enough for CompSci @ UofT SG?

A photo of TomKay TomKay
Hey guys, I'm a newbie on these forums who's been reading them for a few years now. I recently changed my desired career path from Business to Computer Science. Business was my choice previously because I love numbers and would've loved to become a banker for money, but in the back of my mind I just didn't see myself enjoying it in the long run. I actually love computers, technology, and coding in my spare time and although it doesn't pay as well, I'm sure I would enjoy much more than business.

Anyway, enough of my personal chatter.

I would love to know if anybody on this forum got into computer science at the University of Toronto and with what marks, and whether or not you think I could get in based on my current marks.

Here they are: (My school is termed, so I have everything here)
Advanced Functions: 82 EDIT: Bombed a test. Teacher made it really hard...Mark is 76%
Economics: 90
Biology 92 EDIT: Got perfect on an assignment new mark is 94%
World History: 93 EDIT: I just got my term mark for World History 97%
English: 91 EDIT: Aced two essays new mark is 95%
Philosophy: 90 EDIT: Didn't do as well on a test, new mark is 82%

New Average is: 89.166

I haven't done calculus yet, so I couldn't give you that mark. My average according to these marks is 89.166%, which I think is ok to start with. I honestly think that I can raise it a little more, probably to a low 90 (92 or something) through more work in Advanced Functions. But just judging from this, do you think I could make it?

Apparently they place heavy weight on English, which I think is ok here. As well as Calculus, which I am just assuming my Advanced Functions mark will be, if not higher because I took the time to study Calculus in Grade 11 in my spare time and find it interesting. What do you guys think?

Also, I have a question about early admission:
Do you think my marks are good enough for it? I'd rather get the stress of applications off my head and focus on studying.

Thanks guys,
Tom
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Kind of off topic - but physics and chem are prereqs for engineering, even software engineering (which is ECE at u of t)....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of engineersrock engineersrock

@iliketurtles wrote
Kind of off topic - but physics and chem are prereqs for engineering, even software engineering (which is ECE at u of t)....

Good point. Make sure you have those too.

And some good extra curricular activities for your SPF.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TomKay TomKay

@iliketurtles wrote

I was actually worried about that before I picked it, but apparently Software Engineering is not recognized as a real engineering discipline (According to my old Physics Teacher, who was a civil enigineer) and because of this you don't need to take the courses such as Chemistry or Physics which are required by the Faculty of Engineering at UofT.

So I took the time to look at the Software Engineering prerequisites before I put that application under my signature. Here's the eINFO requirements for that program, and you only need English & Calculus.

http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/program-details.php?pcode=0_572089_207_0

This says Computer Science, but if you look in the subheadings on the right, it says Software Engineering as one of the branches. I was surprised as well at the lack of a chemistry or physics credit as well Turtles. It's kind of weird to have the title of engineer and not be recognized as one... Don't quote me on that though, but I'm very sure about it. If you find that I'm wrong, send me an inbox message.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WaterfallOfDestiny WaterfallOfDestiny
Software Engineering goes under Computer Science in the Faculty of Arts & Science. It has no affiliation with the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering (and despite what @iliketurtles said, Software Engineering is not part of ECE), and is not accredited by the CEAB. Your physics teacher was right; software engineering isn't considered an "engineering" discipline. Thus, your only prerequisites are ENG4U and Calculus (source). This link also says you should be fine with an average above the 80's.

Generally speaking, the lack of science prerequisites make sense - while a background in other scientific fields (as well as programming skills!) would perhaps be an asset to your computer science studies, what you really need are the logical thinking skills that Calculus demands. Engineering has a broader scope and really wants their incoming students to have a broader background coming into university.

Your forum signature says you're interested in applying to both Computer Science and Rotman Commerce at UTSG. Just a heads-up in case you weren't aware, you'll have to indicate just one of them on your application to UTSG Arts and Science (source).

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dbdudgh dbdudgh
If you keep those marks up, maybe get it up to 92 like you said, I think you'll get in.
But how come you're not considering U of Waterloo for computer science?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TomKay TomKay

@dbdudgh wrote

Hey sorry about that wait man. The forum was being screwy and I could not find the reply button for a few days.

I've gotten that question from a few people. The truth is I would apply for Waterloo CS, but I can't afford to leave the city. Its either York of U of T, and U of T has the better CS program from my understanding.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TomKay TomKay

@WaterfallOfDestiny wrote

Your forum signature says you're interested in applying to both Computer Science and Rotman Commerce at UTSG. Just a heads-up in case you weren't aware, you'll have to indicate just one of them on your application to UTSG Arts and Science (source).

Thanks a lot buddy, I'll have to update my signature. I didn't know that at all. Business isn't my thing anyway. I'll be happy with just applying to CompSci. You saved me a crapload of frustration at application time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@TomKay wrote
. The truth is I would apply for Waterloo CS, but I can't afford to leave the city. Its either York of U of T, and U of T has the better CS program from my understanding.

If you're certain you'll stay in Toronto, I'd sooner apply to Ryerson than York for computer science, based on reputation.

Also, you're welcome! Good luck on your application to U of T.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TomKay TomKay
Really? Ryerson has a better CS program than York? I am leaning towards York as my secondary also because their acceptance averages scholarships are decent and would benefit the tuition costs. I actually never even thought of applying to Ryerson because I have heard so much negativity about it, even from people who went there! U of T is my definite first though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred
I have a buddy who goes to York. Says he likes it, but I'm not sure about anything else beyond that.

What negative stuff have you heard about Ryerson?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TomKay TomKay
Well I don't know anyone who took CompSci there, but I work with a guy who went there for Finance and he told me not to go there because its not very reputable, and its not a good way to spend tuition money.

He's not the only one though, I've heard that from a lot of people, friends my age and people in university. I'm not saying its true, but I haven't heard anybody tell me positive things about Ryerson, only bad things. Seems a lot of people just like to bash Ryerson.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

My computer science teacher in high school personally remarked that Ryerson's compsci program was decent, while York was... not so good. I suppose it makes sense, since Ryerson is predominantly a technical school (used to be called an Institute of Technology). York is better-known for its business and arts programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Totally random and late reply, but ECE has the computer software stream, which I confused for software engineering, my bad :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of n0y0x n0y0x

@TomKay wrote

@dbdudgh wrote

Hey sorry about that wait man. The forum was being screwy and I could not find the reply button for a few days.

I've gotten that question from a few people. The truth is I would apply for Waterloo CS, but I can't afford to leave the city. Its either York of U of T, and U of T has the better CS program from my understanding.

You can afford to go to UW. Their coop program means you'll be bringing in cash every couple terms to pay for school and living. CS and Engineering generally have high employment rates. Go to UW, and you'll have an overall smaller student debt when you graduate.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of premachb premachb

@TomKay wrote
Hey guys, I'm a newbie on these forums who's been reading them for a few years now. I recently changed my desired career path from Business to Computer Science. Business was my choice previously because I love numbers and would've loved to become a banker for money, but in the back of my mind I just didn't see myself enjoying it in the long run. I actually love computers, technology, and coding in my spare time and although it doesn't pay as well, I'm sure I would enjoy much more than business.

Anyway, enough of my personal chatter.

I would love to know if anybody on this forum got into computer science at the University of Toronto and with what marks, and whether or not you think I could get in based on my current marks.

Here they are: (My school is termed, so I have everything here)
Advanced Functions: 82 EDIT: Bombed a test. Teacher made it really hard...Mark is 76%
Economics: 90
Biology 92 EDIT: Got perfect on an assignment new mark is 94%
World History: 93 EDIT: I just got my term mark for World History 97%
English: 91 EDIT: Aced two essays new mark is 95%
Philosophy: 90 EDIT: Didn't do as well on a test, new mark is 82%

New Average is: 89.166

I haven't done calculus yet, so I couldn't give you that mark. My average according to these marks is 89.166%, which I think is ok to start with. I honestly think that I can raise it a little more, probably to a low 90 (92 or something) through more work in Advanced Functions. But just judging from this, do you think I could make it?

Apparently they place heavy weight on English, which I think is ok here. As well as Calculus, which I am just assuming my Advanced Functions mark will be, if not higher because I took the time to study Calculus in Grade 11 in my spare time and find it interesting. What do you guys think?

Also, I have a question about early admission:
Do you think my marks are good enough for it? I'd rather get the stress of applications off my head and focus on studying.

Thanks guys,
Tom

I'm in computer science @ St. George right now, I got in with an 83.8. So you should be good for comp sci @ uoftsg. Don't be discouraged if you don't get in too early. UofT doesn't accept people very early, I got in May last year but you have a higher avg then me so you might get in 1st round I don't know. Remember that UofT doesn't accept many people early.

As for English, it's very important, as well as calculus. UofT places heavy importance on those two courses. Don't stress out too much, enjoy your last year in high school.

Was this helpful? Yes 0