yconic - Am I the only who thinks that... Rotman is
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Am I the only who thinks that... Rotman is

A photo of DeanVermillion DeanVermillion
Am I the only one who thinks that Rotman is becoming so strict this year? Online essay, 60 mins limit, they have never done something like this before.

What is the purpose behind this, what are they looking for? Leadership, commucation skill, writing skill or what else?
Can anyone tell me.

However, my friends are all turning away from Rotman, some say that they won't survive there, others just simply say that Rotman is not good enough for them so they are so hungry after schools like Ivey or Schulich or Queens.

Personally, I think Rotman has a very large potential and a bright future if you consider the fact that it is a part of U of T, a prestigious Canadian university with a awesome reputation and international recognition!

Anyways, the main point is, what really are they looking for, how should I answer the online essay question to be best considered?

Are they only looking at essay not grades anymore?

My questions are underlined above, please tell me as I am trying to do the essay before Jan 27!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz
BREAKING: U of T does not care about their undergrads. Reports currently coming in saying that U of T puts more effort into their masters and PhD programs. Sources close to the situation are telling us that U of T undergrads are being squeezed for money, with little support from the administration. Stay tuned for more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of erudite erudite
Lol last year, a Rotman Commerce rep came to our school and said 75% of their students make it to 2nd yr. I dunno what the rates are for other schools. But still...why not like 95%? Sounds like they just want money by taking in more students than they have space for.

But I THINK (just a random thought of mine...) that they changed it to an hour and a random question so that they KNOW that's you that's writing the answers and not getting it edited by your English teacher or something. Maybe they want to know how well you think on the spot? It's just one question though...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CMA2014 CMA2014
I guess they figured out that the Asian FOBS cheat their essays by paying professionals to write it for them.. It's an obvious attempt to transform its school image by rapidly transforming its student body.

BTW - I saw Rotman 1st year curriculum. It's a joke. People fail not because its hard, but because they don't belong in the program in the first program (i.e. intellectually defunct) or don't put in the necessary amount of effort (i.e. Asians going karaoke'ing every night). I am personally aware of people who dropped out of Rotman for aforementioned reasons and blame it on UofT for being "hard".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33
Lol srsly, is U of T actually that hard or is it coz there's a lot of non-native english speakers. I have lots of friends there and they're doing fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@erudite wrote
Lol last year, a Rotman Commerce rep came to our school and said 75% of their students make it to 2nd yr. I dunno what the rates are for other schools. But still...why not like 95%? Sounds like they just want money by taking in more students than they have space for.

But I THINK (just a random thought of mine...) that they changed it to an hour and a random question so that they KNOW that's you that's writing the answers and not getting it edited by your English teacher or something. Maybe they want to know how well you think on the spot? It's just one question though...

I get your point, but I think it doesn't make much of a sense since a lot of students are just letting their tutors/ professional writers to do it for them. People would do anything for $ you know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CMA2014 wrote
I guess they figured out that the Asian FOBS cheat their essays by paying professionals to write it for them.. It's an obvious attempt to transform its school image by rapidly transforming its student body.

BTW - I saw Rotman 1st year curriculum. It's a joke. People fail not because its hard, but because they don't belong in the program in the first program (i.e. intellectually defunct) or don't put in the necessary amount of effort (i.e. Asians going karaoke'ing every night). I am personally aware of people who dropped out of Rotman for aforementioned reasons and blame it on UofT for being "hard".

LOL, from what I know, those FOBs you referred to all have professional writers to complete their essay, their writers sure can make a nice essay in an hour, don't you think?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of erudite erudite
Lol, the only way that those "FOBs" can cheat through this new system is to either tell their tutor their log in information, or bring a laptop to their tutor session and have them write it in one hour. Still better than the old way.
Was this helpful? Yes 0