yconic - American Colleges/Universities
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

American Colleges/Universities

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Sorry for all the threads, i have a lot of questions ok! :$

so has anybody applied or attended american schools that are from canada? is it a difficult process applying to another country and doing the SAT's and such? also do they look at only grade 11 & 12 like canada? thanks! :cat:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of Zion Zion
I did a lot of research on American universities/applications, but decided not to apply because the cost wasn't worth it for me.

Yes, it is a much more difficult and involved process than that in Canada. Not only do you need to write the SAT I/ACT, but SAT IIs as well. You'll need lots of ECs, good essays, recommendations, and solid marks throughout high school, not just grades 11 and 12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of alphalove alphalove

@Zion wrote
I did a lot of research on American universities/applications, but decided not to apply because the cost wasn't worth it for me.

Yes, it is a much more difficult and involved process than that in Canada. Not only do you need to write the SAT I/ACT, but SAT IIs as well. You'll need lots of ECs, good essays, recommendations, and solid marks throughout high school, not just grades 11 and 12.

+1 Plus international fees are a killer and not many colleges offer scholarships to international students.

I applied to some colleges and actually got accepted, but it was a killer and in the end, the experience of attending an American college wasn't worth putting my parents and me in debt.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of uncharted1111 uncharted1111

@alphalove wrote

+1 Plus international fees are a killer and not many colleges offer scholarships to international students.

I applied to some colleges and actually got accepted, but it was a killer and in the end, the experience of attending an American college wasn't worth putting my parents and me in debt.

But some schools offer really good financial aid. It's cheaper for me to attend a top 5 American school than if I had stayed in Canada. That's including room, board, tuition, books, travel, etc. Yeah the application process was stressful, but it was totally worth it in the end.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of alphalove alphalove

@uncharted1111 wrote

@alphalove wrote

But some schools offer really good financial aid. It's cheaper for me to attend a top 5 American school than if I had stayed in Canada. That's including room, board, tuition, books, travel, etc. Yeah the application process was stressful, but it was totally worth it in the end.

Yeah, some schools are great with financial aid and offer need-blind assistance, but those schools are usually the hardest to get into. And the schools that are cheap for international students aren't better than the ones already in Canada.

I'm not telling the OP to completely write off American colleges, but the majority of them will cost you a lot of money. Then again, if you do find that it's worth it, then money won't really matter.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
:bigsmurf: hey guys... wow you are all so helpful!!!

yeah i think i will stick in canada :) they already have good schools and its cheaper :) thanks guys!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Illuminar Illuminar

@uncharted1111 wrote

@alphalove wrote

It's not cheaper for me, but it was still totally worth it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PaperPen PaperPen

@Zion wrote

This. I didn't apply to American universities but I have friends who did and were successful.

You need to send in your entire high school transcript, so hopefully you didn't slack of in the lower grades. Also, you have to write the Common App essay, in addition to essays for each school you decide to apply to (they will have prompts to choose from). Some schools do interviews, even for international students, so you have to prepare for those. You have the SAT I and the SAT IIs, and depending on what college you apply for, you have to write certain SAT IIs.

It's a ton of work but depending on what schools you get into, it could be worth it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LaszloAlmasy LaszloAlmasy
Anybody know whether Stanford gives much financial aid to Canadian students? I'm going into grade 11 now. I'm looking at Stanford as my first choice for uni but UNBC or Dalhousie if I don't get accepted or the cost is too high. I know that Stanford emphasizes their commitment to building an international university, but do they support that philosophy in their financial aid policies? Many thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@LaszloAlmasy wrote
Anybody know whether Stanford gives much financial aid to Canadian students? I'm going into grade 11 now. I'm looking at Stanford as my first choice for uni but UNBC or Dalhousie if I don't get accepted or the cost is too high. I know that Stanford emphasizes their commitment to building an international university, but do they support that philosophy in their financial aid policies? Many thanks.

I don't know anything about Stanford's financial aid, but I'd imagine you'd have to be a pretty remarkable student to get it as an international. Why Stanford -> UNBC? That's quite a gap. McGill or UBC would make a lot more sense as a back-up. And you can apply to more than one American school. Stanford isn't necessarily the best.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LaszloAlmasy LaszloAlmasy

I don't know anything about Stanford's financial aid, but I'd imagine you'd have to be a pretty remarkable student to get it as an international. Why Stanford -> UNBC? That's quite a gap. McGill or UBC would make a lot more sense as a back-up. And you can apply to more than one American school. Stanford isn't necessarily the best.

I meant to write UBC, and I am also looking at McGill along with Dal and UBC. I examined their website more closely and the international-student financial aid looks sketchy. I'm now looking at Canadian schools instead. Thanks for the help :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aca10 aca10
*Please note that everything I say in this reply is solely MY OPINION and MY experience and may be different from anyone else*

I currently attend an American College and I'm Canadian, obviously. I found the application process a lot less stressful than applying to schools in Canada. I applied as a transfer student as I had graduated a program the previous year. It may be different if you are going right from high school, but I'm going to share my experience anyways. There was no application fee & all you had to do was send your high school and/or college transcripts (if applicable). I heard back from the school right away, which was actually kind of nice because you didn't have to wait so long to hear, like you do here in Canada. I was accepted on Scholarship based on my College grades. They said, to me personally, they focus on College grades for a transfer student more than high school grades. When I applied, I didn't know that the school I applied to was actually considered a "private college" in the US. I didn't know there was a difference. With that being said, the tuition was definitely more than Canadian schools. If you have great marks, than they offer a lot of entrance scholarships that are automatically given to you, which was SO nice! So yes, the tuition is more than schools over here. I did NOT have to write any entrance exams, like the SAT's. I don't know if you have to write them if you're in high school, but I didn't write any exam of any kind.

The school I am at is absolutely gorgeous, I love it. The class sizes and campus are small, the teachers are WONDERFUL and it has a nice atmosphere to it. The program I am in allows me to obtain 2 degrees in 4 years and obtain pre-requisites for applying to Vet School. The cost of books is A LOT cheaper, in my opinion. You're assigned to an Academic Advisor that basically helps you along the way. They help you choose the appropriate programs for each semester (to make sure you're doing it right and you're taking what you need to take, and not some pointless class) and they are there if you have any problems or are struggling. It honestly helps A LOT having an Academic Advisor that actually cares!

The only negative thing about the situation that I can think of is your student visa and grades. Once you're accepted at an American school, you have to get a student visa. That was a long and painful process. It did have a fee, I think $150 or something like that. It also meant going into Customs & Immigration. There was a lot of paperwork, forms and signatures, but in the end, it was worth it. Secondly, I find keeping your grades up is a little bit more difficult. I know for the one class I had, a passing wasn't 50%, it was 75% and you needed to obtain that average in both lecture AND lab. NOT ALL classes have that average, but for my program there are some like that. So even though I graduated college with high 90's, I find it a little more difficult to obtain those higher grades, but it IS possible! Another MINOR negative is that once I graduate, I will have to write 2 State/Provincial exams to be licensed, a NY State and then an Ontario Licensing exam. No biggie!

Honestly, it all depends on what you want to do. I am obtaining 2 degrees at the same time along with Pre-Vet med. It is a lot of hard work, but there is such a support system in place at the school and it will help a lot time wise as well. Just research the school, go visit the school and talk to someone in the admissions office. They're really friendly and very helpful. If the school & program is right for you and you can afford to, I'd definitely give it a try! I do NOT regret it at all! :)

Ps. Sorry for the long post!
Was this helpful? Yes 0