yconic - American Election: Donald Trump???
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

American Election: Donald Trump???

A photo of CityBoy CityBoy
Really? He's going to try to run for president? Do you guys think that the republicans will let him?

If he does run this will definitely be an interesting election to watch.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
44 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
He's been doing well in the polls, so I think the Republicans too will take him seriously.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

He's doing well in polls? Source? I read a recent article where it said he had more people against him.

If he runs America..the nation is going to get into another recession. Republicans work with corporates they don't care about the American people.. he's going to cut the corporate taxes put in place and just ruin America's economy.

It's been the trend for the last few years, Democrats work for the American people (Clinton & Obama) and try to stabilize the economy .. then America gets greedy and votes Republican and then again Democrats have to step in again to stabilize the economy.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

http://swampland.blogs.time.com/2011/04/07/donald-trump-2012-rising/

He has 21% support, so, yes, that means he has more people against him. So too does Mitt Romney. So too do most political candidates. Having >50% support is rare.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What's your take on Donald Trump? Will he make a good president?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@CityBoy wrote
What's your take on Donald Trump? Will he make a good president?

Absolutely. All conservatives do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
Should be interesting. Look what other repub candidates he's up against... the tea party candidates are all brain dead. I'd vote for him even though i'm a die hard liberal; why? He has balls. Obama was the biggest disappointment ever and negotiated and compromised himself into the ground. Trump at least would make things interesting. I don't agree with his platform, but at least he won't cower to the senate and be completely duplicitous.

Plus, well, america is a sinking ship, i'd rather see it go down with a bang rather than a fizzle ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do I think he'd make a good public figure? Absolutely. Do I think he'd be/he is a good boss? Yes. Do I think he'd make a good president? For corporations and the wealthy - yes, for the poor - absolutely not, for Middle America - depends on how one stands politically. He'd definitely get things accomplished, so, if I were a Republican supporter, then I think I'd absolutely want to see him president.

EDIT: It should be noted that Obama does have balls. The proposals he has made (particularly with health care reform and just recently his $4 trillion budget cut proposal) absolutely take balls.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer

@CityBoy wrote
If he runs America..the nation is going to get into another recession. Republicans work with corporates they don't care about the American people.. he's going to cut the corporate taxes put in place and just ruin America's economy.

brb corporations have more money
brb corporations use money to expand
brb unemployment decreases

@CityBoy wrote
It's been the trend for the last few years, Democrats work for the American people (Clinton & Obama) and try to stabilize the economy .. then America gets greedy and votes Republican and then again Democrats have to step in again to stabilize the economy.

brb stabilizing economy by creating huge debt
brb inflation

Since I'm 100% sure you're a troll, I'll just go ahead and reply with sarcasm.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IanSharer wrote

@CityBoy wrote

brb corporations have more money
brb corporations use money to expand
brb unemployment decreases

@CityBoy wrote

brb stabilizing economy by creating huge debt
brb inflation

Since I'm 100% sure you're a troll, I'll just go ahead and reply with sarcasm.

Except that's not how it works. Think about it logically using one simple postulate. Do the rich like staying rich? (You can answer that one in your head). Now if the top 2% of the bracket get to save money, what will they do with that money? Spend all of that saved money employing americans, or spend half of it employing the chinese?

http://www.alternet.org/economy/106410/tax_cuts:_the_b.s._and_the_facts/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ_rbHaaQ7o

Extending the bush tax cuts is one of the WORST possible ways to stimulate the economy (and is proven statistically, look it up) because you're entrusting the greediest people in the country to be generous with their money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

lol Iansharer you're an idiot. What does me being a "troll" have to do anything with my points.

You didn't even get BMOS at Western yet or even utsc.. why are you even talking? Lol got into Schulich but didn't get into BMOS or utsc eh? Calling me a troll you jerk

EDIT: So yes again.. if Donald Trump runs the country America is going to get effed over so bad and as much as us Canadians want to see America fail.. we need them because what happens to them eventually affects us and then the rest of the world. They are that big.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@chatmike wrote
Do the rich like staying rich? (You can answer that one in your head).

Yes. How do they stay rich? By allowing their money to be victim to inflation or by investing it (and subsequently starting new businesses)?

@chatmike wrote
Now if the top 2% of the bracket get to save money, what will they do with that money? Spend all of that saved money employing americans, or spend half of it employing the chinese?

http://www.alternet.org/economy/106410/tax_cuts:_the_b.s._and_the_facts/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ_rbHaaQ7o

Extending the bush tax cuts is one of the WORST possible ways to stimulate the economy (and is proven statistically, look it up) because you're entrusting the greediest people in the country to be generous with their money.

Then what do you suggest? Not give them the possibility to invest that money in the first place?

@CityBoy wrote
lol Iansharer you're an idiot. What does me being a "troll" have to do anything with my points.

You didn't even get BMOS at Western yet or even utsc.. why are you even talking? Lol got into Schulich but didn't get into BMOS or utsc eh? Calling me a troll you f.aggot

Trolololol

@CityBoy wrote
EDIT: So yes again.. if Donald Trump runs the country America is going to get effed over so bad and as much as us Canadians want to see America fail.. we need them because what happens to them eventually affects us and then the rest of the world. They are that big.

First of all, there's only so much Donald Trump himself can do. That said, tax cuts and less spending is exactly what America needs, not another spend trillions of dollars Obama.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Dude.. if you don't know what you're talking about then don't talk. Obama is the one doing tax cuts.. Donald Trump is going to give tax breaks and spend MORE. God.. please help his ape-minded brain.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IanSharer wrote

Then what do you suggest? Not give them the possibility to invest that money in the first place?

What do i suggest? Not giving tax cuts to the rich. Use that money to stimulate the economy in other ways. There are other ways to get the ball rolling in the U.S. again, look what Canada did. We did have some tax cuts for the rich, but we also had tons of big projects and infrastructure builds, and overall handled the situation much better.

The only reason why tax cuts for the rich is even a viable option in any senate anywhere is because of those corporations and lobbyists telling the politicians to vote for it. When push comes to shove for actually stimulating the economy, it is a HORRIBLE way to stimulate the economy.

Am i making big business out to be the bad guy? Yeah. Could i be wrong? Possibly. Maybe there are some employers that do hire locally, but you know what, those make up the small percentage because overall (as proven in the video i linked above)rich people care about rich people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CityBoy wrote
Dude.. if you don't know what you're talking about then don't talk. Obama is the one doing tax cuts.. Donald Trump is going to give tax breaks and spend MORE. God.. please help his ape-minded brain.

That isn't entirely true. Obama wanted tax cuts for the middle class (which is a toss-up if that really is beneficial to the economy), and had to settle with giving tax cuts for the rich because the republicans held that bill hostage and would only give tax cuts for the middle class, if they would give tax cuts for the rich. Trump will continue the tax cuts for the rich WITHOUT A DOUBT since that directly affects his own pocketbook LOL.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@chatmike wrote
What do i suggest? Not giving tax cuts to the rich. Use that money to stimulate the economy in other ways. There are other ways to get the ball rolling in the U.S. again, look what Canada did. We did have some tax cuts for the rich, but we also had tons of big projects and infrastructure builds, and overall handled the situation much better.

The only reason why tax cuts for the rich is even a viable option in any senate anywhere is because of those corporations and lobbyists telling the politicians to vote for it. When push comes to shove for actually stimulating the economy, it is a HORRIBLE way to stimulate the economy.

Am i making big business out to be the bad guy? Yeah. Could i be wrong? Possibly. Maybe there are some employers that do hire locally, but you know what, those make up the small percentage because overall (as proven in the video i linked above)rich people care about rich people.

Are you a financial expert? You seem to think that you know everything. Both Canada and the US had tax cuts and increased Government spending in an attempt to stimulate the economy, but the reason Canada didn't suffer as much is because of stricter banking policies (one of the main reasons at least).

@chatmike wrote
That isn't entirely true. Obama wanted tax cuts for the middle class (which is a toss-up if that really is beneficial to the economy), and had to settle with giving tax cuts for the rich because the republicans held that bill hostage and would only give tax cuts for the middle class, if they would give tax cuts for the rich. Trump will continue the tax cuts for the rich WITHOUT A DOUBT since that directly affects his own pocketbook LOL.

You guys act as if the rich are in the advantage here. They still pay the majority of taxes, even relative to their earnings.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CityBoy wrote

I'm going to be honest, I haven't researched Donald Trump enough to have an educated opinion of him, but no way in hell is he going to give less tax breaks or spend more than Obama.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IanSharer wrote

I'm going to be honest, I haven't researched Donald Trump enough to have an educated opinion of him

Alright stop right there... please

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IanSharer wrote

You guys act as if the rich are in the advantage here. They still pay the majority of taxes, even relative to their earnings.

The rich are of an advantage. Do you not know how capitalism works? They have money, and they use that money to ensure they keep their money (getting tax cuts).

You're right, they do pay the bulk of the taxes, and i tip my hat to them. Consider this though on the flip side. Their bank accounts are so massive, the percent of tax they pay ends up being more than the taxes from 98% of the rest of the country. And even after they pay their taxes,guess what? They're still grotesquely rich.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CityBoy wrote

@IanSharer wrote

I'm going to be honest, I haven't researched Donald Trump enough to have an educated opinion of him

Alright stop right there... please

And you obviously haven't done your research either if you think Trump is going to spend more than Obama.

@chatmike wrote
The rich are of an advantage. Do you not know how capitalism works? They have money, and they use that money to ensure they keep their money (getting tax cuts).

You're right, they do pay the bulk of the taxes, and i tip my hat to them. Consider this though on the flip side. Their bank accounts are so massive, the percent of tax they pay ends up being more than the taxes from 98% of the rest of the country. And even after they pay their taxes,guess what? They're still grotesquely rich.

And that's their fault? You want the rich to be punished for their success?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

lol. helping to pay for medical expenses for the community is a punishment now? helping the unemployed is punishment? saving lives is punishment? paying our soldiers is punishment?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@chatmike wrote
lol. helping to pay for medical expenses for the community is a punishment now? helping the unemployed is punishment? saving lives is punishment? paying our soldiers is punishment?

We're going way off topic, but if you want my opinion yes it is punishment if you do not consent to it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You're consenting to paying taxes by becoming a citizen or by not changing your citizenship. If you want to be a member of American or Canadian society, you have to pay your taxes. You don't have the right to be a member of American or Canadian society; that's a privilege.

Generally speaking, the wealthy are a reasonable bunch. A wealthy person did not earn his wealth by selling amongst himself; he made his wealth by selling to the American or Canadian public, and he was raised by that American or Canadian public. I think it's fair that Bill Gates give up 35% of his annual earnings. It's not like he developed Microsoft separate from the rest of the world. He spent his formative years in American society and was only able to develop Microsoft because of that. Not to mention that his quality of life would be essentially unchanged if he were taxed at a 25% marginal rate rather than a 35% marginal rate.

Furthermore, very few wealthy people are actually going to change citizenship in protest of high tax rates, so there's really no net utility to lowering tax rates specifically for the wealthy. It's merely political, you-scratch-my-back-I'll-scratch-yours BS.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
You're consenting to paying taxes by becoming a citizen or by not changing your citizenship. If you want to be a member of American or Canadian society, you have to pay your taxes. You don't have the right to be a member of American or Canadian society; that's a privilege.

This is a whole different issue, but I still can't believe you think it's acceptable...

Generally speaking, the wealthy are a reasonable bunch. A wealthy person did not earn his wealth by selling amongst himself; he made his wealth by selling to the American or Canadian public, and he was raised by that American or Canadian public. I think it's fair that Bill Gates give up 35% of his annual earnings. It's not like he developed Microsoft separate from the rest of the world. He spent his formative years in American society and was only able to develop Microsoft because of that. Not to mention that his quality of life would be essentially unchanged if he were taxed at a 25% marginal rate rather than a 35% marginal rate.

What they should do and what they have to do are two different things. Should you be feeding a homeless person on your street instead of buying a new phone? Maybe, but you shouldn't have to.

Furthermore, very few wealthy people are actually going to change citizenship in protest of high tax rates, so there's really no net utility to lowering tax rates specifically for the wealthy. It's merely political, you-scratch-my-back-I'll-scratch-yours BS.

If I were saving a substantial amount of money, why wouldn't I? And it's not merely for the rich to stay rich, it's to promote economic activity by allowing those already successful to further invest their money. Do you think it would be better for a successful businessman to create new infrastructure projects and subsequently create some economic activity, or do you think it would be better to give the government that money and hope they spend it efficiently?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IanSharer wrote

Do you think it would be better for a successful businessman to create new infrastructure projects and subsequently create some economic activity, or do you think it would be better to give the government that money and hope they spend it efficiently?

You're argument seems completely twilight zone-ish. It's the business man that looks after society and its the government that's the greedy fatcat?

I'd rather trust my tax dollars with Stephan Harper than with the Koch brothers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@chatmike wrote
You're argument seems completely twilight zone-ish. It's the business man that looks after society and its the government that's the greedy fatcat?

Businessman's objective: Make money

Government's objective: Please majority come election time

Who's going to use the money more efficiently?

And it's not your money, it's the large sum of money from the rich we're talking about.
Was this helpful? Yes 0