yconic - An Odd Question about Uni Classes.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

An Odd Question about Uni Classes.

A photo of AliceK109 AliceK109
It might sound really weird, but what do University students usually bring to class for a lecture?? I'm really worried that the professor will talk fast and cover a huge chunk of material and I won't be able to take notes on everything.
Notebook? Binder? Laptop?

I worry about really weird things.
All through high school I carried around one big notebook and a plastic binder and pencils / etc in a backpack. is it different in university? This is such a random question.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
22 replies

A photo of Zarathustra Zarathustra

@AliceK109 wrote
It might sound really weird, but what do University students usually bring to class for a lecture?? I'm really worried that the professor will talk fast and cover a huge chunk of material and I won't be able to take notes on everything.

All through high school I carried around one big notebook and a plastic binder and pencils / etc in a backpack. is it different in university? This is such a random question.

Depends on your prof but from my experience at Queen's, students usually bring:

1) Print their lecture notes and then write their notes on it throughout the lecture
2) Lecture notes on their computer and then type their notes on it throughout the lecture
3) A notebook and write down whatever they need

I've never ever seen a student actually use a recorder before...

but my friend who goes to Stanford does bring one with her to tutorials since a lot of the discussion helps formulate some arguments for essays.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
A lot of profs put up pdf/ppt slides of their lectures. I print those out 6 slides/pg and then jot down notes on the margins as they go along. For profs that don't put up slides beforehand, I bring my laptop and type notes. I really only bring looseleaf paper in a clipboard for classes where I can't type notes (math).

I then transfer all my loose notes into a binder. It's too much hassle to carry laptop + binder to campus everyday.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zarathustra wrote

@AliceK109 wrote

Depends on your prof but from my experience at Queen's, students usually bring:

1) Print their lecture notes and then write their notes on it throughout the lecture
2) Lecture notes on their computer and then type their notes on it throughout the lecture
3) A notebook and write down whatever they need

I've never ever seen a student actually use a recorder before...

but my friend who goes to Stanford does bring one with her to tutorials since a lot of the discussion helps formulate some arguments for essays.

Ok it might sound stupid, but I didn't know profs uploaded their notes online. Thank goodness. I thought you just went in there with a blank notebook / blank word document and wrote / typed as fast as you could. lol
So basically you could study the notes before class too. This made me breathe a little easier..
Was this helpful? Yes 1

@inthemaking wrote
A lot of profs put up pdf/ppt slides of their lectures. I print those out 6 slides/pg and then jot down notes on the margins as they go along. For profs that don't put up slides beforehand, I bring my laptop and type notes. I really only bring looseleaf paper in a clipboard for classes where I can't type notes (math).

I then transfer all my loose notes into a binder. It's too much hassle to carry laptop + binder to campus everyday.

I don't know what university you go to, but do most profs put up the notes beforehand? If so how early
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I go to Mac. Most of my profs do, yes. Typically the day before or morning of the lecture. Also probably depends on your program though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zarathustra Zarathustra

@AliceK109 wrote

@inthemaking wrote

I don't know what university you go to, but do most profs put up the notes beforehand? If so how early

Mine are usually out a week before and if it's a prof that has taught the course recently then usually he/she would leave an entire term's worth of lecture notes out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cmcneil92 cmcneil92
Most profs put up slides online. I only had a few classes this year that didn't do that - a few were languages, and then there was this awful culture course where the prof just stood there and talked for two hours. I tried bringing my laptop to that class, but I found I was getting distracted, and ended up just bringing paper and typing my notes up right after (so they'd be legible.) I ended up getting an A- in that class so I guess it worked!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Entropy Entropy
For some classes, profs put up partial notes ahead of time with blanks for you to fill in and post full notes later.

Also, for things like math, I find keeping a notebook easiest. But for humanities/social sciences, I tend to bring my laptop and type notes.

Also, a handy-dandy word feature: if you switch your word doc to a "notebook" style (bottom left corner when you have a word doc open) then you can record, and word will keep track of the audio as you type - so you can click a line later on and listen to the audio from that moment when you were typing that line. Great for taking notes for a friend.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of acidcloud acidcloud
I find when I bring my computer to class, I end up not paying attention to the prof and go on Facebook/play games or something. Sometimes the best thing to do is simply listen and participate in class. A simple notebook is great for just jotting down important things and as a basic rule, anything the prof writes on the board is usually important.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
Get a Playbook.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kseguin kseguin
Like a lot of people have said before, print out the profs notes before hand (if they give you notes) and read them before class, but also bring paper and pans with you to write down extra notes from the lecture. I wouldn't suggest bringing a laptop because you'll find yourself on Facebook the whole entire class out of bordum (that is pretty much guarenteed unless you have self control and actually want to pay attention in class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
About 90% of people in my philosophy lecture bring a laptop or a Mac and even an iPad...
However, my prof posts his powerpoint slides right after so there is no need for us to bring technology. Still, many choose to type their own notes out. Most people are on Facebook or tetris :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of briannabeaver briannabeaver
I bring my laptop, and just type my notes into one big long document, so that instead of going 'now which day did they talk about evolutionary medicine?' i can just CTRL + F for a keyword that will find it for me.

Everybody is different though. I've done some classes and I know some people that just go and listen and don't bring anything. Some people sit with their notebook and scribble down every single word. I go with my laptop [you have been warned, don't bring it for boring profs, you will play games]. I would say that a good number of people print out the slides and write whatever isn't on them next to it. I've done this, but I find that its not really for me because then I never read what is on the slides [I'm kinda lazy]. I've also had the slides up on one side, and typing extras on the other [some profs purposely omit key words from the slides they post, annoyingly], instead of printing them all, which I find to be a waste of paper.

All in all, there are lots of different options, and you can take the first week to figure out what works best for you. Your note taking style will be just as crucial as finding the optimal spot to sit and establishing it as yours. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 997542976 997542976
I attend U of T and most students bring a laptop and recorder. Notes are sometimes difficult to take because Profs generally speak quickly and jump back and forth. I am about to complete my first year and I took notes with a notebook... needless to say that was a mistake. Be sure to organize your lecture and tutorial notes in folders on your computer and ALWAYS back it up! (In case something unfortunate happens). Try not to worry so much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 997542976 997542976
I attend U of T and most students bring a laptop and recorder. Notes are sometimes difficult to take because Profs generally speak quickly and jump back and forth. I am about to complete my first year and I took notes with a notebook... needless to say that was a mistake. Be sure to organize your lecture and tutorial notes in folders on your computer and ALWAYS back it up! (In case something unfortunate happens). Try not to worry so much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
Don't worry about how you're going to manage during lectures. Every class is different. Some of my classes, I stopped taking notes because the readings did the job, for example.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Trusty pen and paper - it has never failed me even once.

If a professor uploads slides beforehand, I do print them out and annotate them as needed, but this isn't the case for all subjects

As for laptops, from experience I find those to be more of a distraction than an aid in all lectures I've been to, even computer programming classes, unless the laptop is equipped with some sort of pen input (i.e. is it a tablet PC or does it have a graphic tablet attached). Whenever a regular laptop is around, 99.9% of the time it's running a game or Youtube or whatever, basically anything that's a distraction.

After the iPad released I've seen some students using it to take handwritten notes. Pretty cool, but paper won't run out of battery so I still prefer it.

The one thing you don't need to bring to lecture is your textbook. Everyone leaves their books at home for the most part unless they're studying on campus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
It defidently depends on the Prof. Ont he first day, bring whatever you feel most comfortable with: laptop or notebook, and then determine from that class if it will actually work. I used to be a notebook person in High school but now I use my laptop in 3/5 classes. Math and economics I still write in a notebook.

Also, some profs and faculties have restrictions: no laptops, no recording devices, etc. Take this into consideration.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
This is the rule I go by:
If the slides are posted print those and take notes on the lines on the side. If not, then bring your laptop because you're probably not going to have time to actually write anything.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@AliceK109 wrote

Many people bring their laptop and a notebook. binders are kinda annoying to bring around unless your profs provide online notes that can be printed.

about profs talking too fast - yeah.. had a bad experience with this and what i usually do is ask them after their lec ends, or ask a classmate for clarification. it's actually very difficult to listen and copy down stuff at the same time, depending on how good your profs are at hitting all the learning styles.

it;s a lot different from high school since... a lot of breaks are given DURING your classes - IE work periods. theres no such thing in univ really.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rourachnitchai Rourachnitchai
I'm going to print out any online notes and write anything else out by hand with a pen and paper. I struggle with squandering time already on FB, I don't need to have it at my fingertips for an additional 15 hours a week or more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
I was thinking of getting an iPad for uni. I would have worked perfectly, since you can type and then change to handwriting if you need to write down an equation. Only 2 problems, though, it doesn't have a USB port and can only network print with Apple printers :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0