yconic - Any advice for me?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Any advice for me?

A photo of brady23 brady23
Hey guys,

So I'm going to grade 12, and I'm in a dilemma. I'm not sure if I want to go into Business or Engineering.

I really enjoy business courses because it's something that comes naturally to me and I only spend 15 minutes the day before looking over the content and ace the tests. Even my accounting teacher encouraged me to pursue business instead of science. Accounting was my highest mark and that was with 15 minutes of studying and completing homework.

I thought I wanted to go into science but I am not sure anymore. I know how competitive science is and a life science degree or any other related degree is useless unless you want to go into research or are lucky enough to get accepted to professional schools.

My science and math marks are a bit lower than my business marks and I put forth more time and effort in my science and math courses. My parents try to convince me to go the science route, and even though I enjoy my science and math courses a lot, I am not sure if I am competitive enough for the top engineering programs.

If it helps, here are my marks for grade 11:

ENG3U - 87
FSF3U - 83
SPH3U - 90
SBI3U - 93
SCH3U - 85
ICS3U - 92
BAF3M - 96
MCR3U - 87

The courses I have chose for next year are English, French, Biology, Chemistry, Advanced Functions, Calculus, and Physics. That means, I only have one elective for business.
I chose financial securities because that is the only one that can fit in my timetable.

I'm asking this because I am really considering dropping my sciences and taking some other business courses. I don't think my marks will get me into Waterloo Engineering or Mcgill or Queen's.

I think I can get into programs like Rotman, Ivey, Queen's, or Schulich, if I drop my sciences for next year and take some easier courses.

Guidance appointments are in August and I am not sure what to do. Basically, I am not sure if I should keep my sciences or drop them for business electives. Any advice? Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of Viking21 Viking21
I think if you keep up your marks...you'll be fine. How are your ECs? Business schools are strict on ECs...and for the schools u listed for business you would need high marks (88+...york is higher) But it still depends on your leadership traits and your essays (supplementary applications).

If you really enjoy math and science stick with them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725

@brady23 wrote
I really enjoy business courses because it's something that comes naturally to me and I only spend 15 minutes the day before looking over the content and ace the tests. Even my accounting teacher encouraged me to pursue business instead of science. Accounting was my highest mark and that was with 15 minutes of studying and completing homework.

Question - do you enjoy business courses because they "come naturally" to you, or because you genuinely enjoy the course material and can see yourself pursuing a career in that field? If it is primarily the former, be prepared for business courses to become significantly more difficult in university.

In terms of competition, I think it really varies depending on the school. While it is usually less difficult to gain admission to a life sciences program than a top business program, most of your life sci peers will be working to gain admission to med school which can (not always) create a super competitive atmosphere. Again, it really depends on the school you attend.

But heck, what do I know? I'm an arts student LOL/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of brady23 brady23

@Viking21 wrote
I think if you keep up your marks...you'll be fine. How are your ECs? Business schools are strict on ECs...and for the schools u listed for business you would need high marks (88+...york is higher) But it still depends on your leadership traits and your essays (supplementary applications).

If you really enjoy math and science stick with them.

Yeah, my ECs are good, but I'm gonna bring them up next year in grade 12. I know how strict business schools are on them.

@cherrypie725 wrote

@brady23 wrote

Question - do you enjoy business courses because they "come naturally" to you, or because you genuinely enjoy the course material and can see yourself pursuing a career in that field? If it is primarily the former, be prepared for business courses to become significantly more difficult in university.

In terms of competition, I think it really varies depending on the school. While it is usually less difficult to gain admission to a life sciences program than a top business program, most of your life sci peers will be working to gain admission to med school which can (not always) create a super competitive atmosphere. Again, it really depends on the school you attend.

But heck, what do I know? I'm an arts student LOL/

Yes, I like business courses because they come naturally to me and I do enjoy the course material and I can see myself being a business person. If I don't get into science, I would be satisfied with a career in business. It's so refreshing for me when I take my science and math courses to have a business course because it lightens my load and it's a chill class. I know Accounting 12 is way harder than 11 but I really like business courses.

@Respects wrote

@brady23 wrote
My parents try to convince me to go the science route, and even though I enjoy my science and math courses a lot, I am not sure if I am competitive enough for the top engineering programs.

Your science and math marks are excellent. They're competitive to get into any top engineering program. High school business courses are bird courses and it doesn't matter that you got higher grades in them. A lot of people are going the business route. If you enjoy it, I would definitely advise you to go into an engineering program.An undergrad science degree isn't totally useless. You can go into research, work for different health and pharmaceutical companies, etc. Their are many areas to focus on. If you don't like life science choose another, perhaps medical radiation science, medical laboratory science, health science, etc. I'm only saying this because you like math and science and should not be afraid to explore your options.

Thank you for the compliment! :) I think they would just meet the cutoff for the top engineering programs and if I can't get into the top engineering programs I want, I would rather pursue business. I also think I am more likely to get into the top business programs than the top engineering programs and it would feel like a waste if I just missed getting into my dream schools. My top 6 for grade 11 comes to an 88.5% average using the prerequisites for Engineering, and I need to bring that up a bit. But I think you're right, I would feel more good about myself if I could get into a good engineering program rather than a good business program. Thank you for your response by the way, very helpful! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Why don't you consider doing a joint Engineering and Business program.

You can do Western Engineering + Ivey HBA business.

You can do the Jeffrey Skoll program at UofT which if I'm not mistaken let's you do an engineering undergrad then a Rotman MBA.

You could do a very interdisciplinary engineering disciple like Systems Design Engineering at Waterloo and pursue your MBA later. (This is what I would have done if I had to choose engineering).

UofT and UW have the strongest Engineering programs in not only Canada but internationally as well. I would choose one of them if I were you. Business is always something you could study later. Engineers have a very solid background to go into business because of their solid education and their analytical way of thinking. Besides, I know of SYDE's from UW who have done coops in fields like consulting and banking, both very coveted fields in business.

In terms of marks, its impossible to forecast your grd 12 marks, just work hard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0