yconic - Any Advice?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Any Advice?

A photo of Decisions Decisions
Well its pretty much May now and there isn't too much time before people will finally decide where they are going for university.

So far i've been accepted to
Laurier: BBA/BMath * financial math (both at laurier)
Mac: business
Brock : acc/co-op

waitin on AFM, and Schulich

I am not 100% sure, but the way i look at it, is that i rank programs with co-op a bit higher then the ones without co-op, just for the experience etc.

what do you guys think?

my average is 89.8ish and my ec's are decent

Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Are you 100% set on becoming a CA (or other designation)? Any other aspirations? Will you be working internationally?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The thing is, im not 100% on being a CA, i know its an excellent career, but thats not the only way i can go.
i know a lot of people who made it into AFM and they said its great, if i dont go into accounting at Laurier, do you know what else it is known for?, like specializing in.

and about international work, i would rather not at this point, but way down the road, you never know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Decisions wrote
The thing is, im not 100% on being a CA, i know its an excellent career, but thats not the only way i can go.
i know a lot of people who made it into AFM and they said its great, if i dont go into accounting at Laurier, do you know what else it is known for?, like specializing in.

and about international work, i would rather not at this point, but way down the road, you never know.

AFM is an excellent program, probably the best. But its only downfall (other than the tuition) is that it only has 2 options. You can either go into accounting (CA most likely if not CMA) or you could go into finance, although this is not what the program is known for (they are trying to improve this portion of it).

Laurier is also an excellent school for CAs- most UFE gold medal winners, very high UFE pass rates, an excellent co-op program, excellent post-grad employment rate, a number of Big 4 and CATO jobs, some high-paying jobs.

30% of Laurier students go into accounting (mostly CA, some CGA, and some CMA- probably the best school for CMA or Waterloo)
30% go into finance- nothing like the placements of Ivey or Queen's or even McGill, but for a school not well-wknown for finance they get some pretty good jobs (some in NY/US even).
20% go into marketing- one of the better for marketing, although Schulich I hear is probably the best and Ivey/Queen's are likely better as well
A fair number of the rest go into supply chain management- an unheralded area with some pretty good jobs, Laurier is very good in this area from my knowledge
And some other stuff like HR make up the remaining bit.

The advantage to Laurier or Schulich would be that they are all business programs. At this point, I would eliminate Brock or McMaster (unless you have a strong desire to go there), and choose between Laurier, AFM and Schulich (with Laurier being your only guaranteed atm)

Did you apply to PA or FM?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

i applied to FM, i think i did pretty good on the written test, and my AIF is pretty good too. I've heard you can still become a CA from FM as well, although it is harder work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Decisions wrote
i applied to FM, i think i did pretty good on the written test, and my AIF is pretty good too. I've heard you can still become a CA from FM as well, although it is harder work.

The two programs are identical, you can choose to specialize as a CA, CMA or go into finance.

The only difference is co-op. PA students get access to JobMine, which features the CA jobs (all the Big 4 and CATOs). You can still apply to these jobs, you just have to do it yourself.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Alright, and another thing ive noticed, is that a lot of people on this forum keep saying that Schulich isn't the same as it was before, is this true?. I don't see the big change, I still think its one of the best schools here
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh and another thing, If i go to Laurier, will it still be worth it going after the CA? after all i will end up with a financial math degree, and that is not necessary to become a CA. basically, are there other career paths more catered to this degree?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Decisions wrote
Oh and another thing, If i go to Laurier, will it still be worth it going after the CA? after all i will end up with a financial math degree, and that is not necessary to become a CA. basically, are there other career paths more catered to this degree?

You also graduate with a BBA degree.

Is your question: is there a better path to becoming a CA? or is there careers that the financial math degree is more catered towards?

As for Schulich, tbh I'm not 100% sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

well what i meant what
if i go to laurier i will get 2 degrees BBA and Bachelors in financial math,
which careers will this program be suited best for.

like, financial analyst, ca, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Decisions wrote
well what i meant what
if i go to laurier i will get 2 degrees BBA and Bachelors in financial math,
which careers will this program be suited best for.

like, financial analyst, ca, etc.

Yep, you could become a CA, CFA, try for IB, risk management, etc. It makes it easier to go for some of the more math-y jobs. You could do CA and then get your CFA even.

It definitely opens more doors (plus guaranteed co-op). The only bad things about the program are: it's not near as good as Ivey for finance (or some others), and is it worth it to take those extra math courses and do all of that extra work?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

alright thanks for the quick responses, good luck to u
Was this helpful? Yes 0