yconic - Any BC students out there?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Any BC students out there?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
For students from British Columbia....should we take or not take the optional Grade 12 provincial exams?

The only mandatory one is the English 12....others such as Biology 12 is optional....should we take it? Are there any advantages to taking it?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
It really depends what university you're applying to.
If you're staying within the province, it won't hurt to take them
UBC/SFU/UVic will only consider your provincial mark if it helps to increase your grade, otherwise they will only look at your course mark.
Also, if you get an A in 3? 4? provincials, that's an automatic $1000 bursary for post-secondary.
But if you're applying to schools outside of BC, they will look at the blended mark, so if that's the case, only do them if you think that it will help increase your grade.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@cyynthiia wrote
It really depends what university you're applying to.
If you're staying within the province, it won't hurt to take them
UBC/SFU/UVic will only consider your provincial mark if it helps to increase your grade, otherwise they will only look at your course mark.
Also, if you get an A in 3? 4? provincials, that's an automatic $1000 bursary for post-secondary.
But if you're applying to schools outside of BC, they will look at the blended mark, so if that's the case, only do them if you think that it will help increase your grade.

I'm applying to BC schools, Ontario Schools and schools in other countries. Thank you very much for your advice! I don't think taking the provincial exams will benefit me in this case....since the school exams are usually easier than the provincial.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
Lots of schools outside BC actually use your better mark, for instance:
"For students who choose to write the Provincial Exam for any other subject, Queen's will use the better of the in-class grade or blended grade for both admission and scholarship decisions."

Also, you only need three As for the scholarship. Personally, I won't be writing any provincials (except English obviously) because it seems like a lot of hassle for $1000.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
I'm writing everything, plus rewriting my grade 12 courses I did in grade 11 to try to boost my average further. 86% is practically guaranteed for me, so no problem for that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dyipper dyipper
You have nothing to lose if you write it. Most universities either take ur final mark, or your blended mark with the provincial. Whichever is higher.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
I think you have to get a good grade from doing 3 of them to get a scholarship.

UBC says they take only the higher mark, but last year when I took my provincials, they AVERAGED them, yet they didn't admit it... I had my transcripts and my student records stating what my provincial marks were, and in my student records on the UBC site, it has my averaged mark.

It was the reason why I didn't get in.

Bear in mind however that they are no easy exams. Ide just focus my energy into getting the best coursemark possible and get a spot in the university of your choice. IMO I seriously think they should make them mandatory so grades aren't so inflated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Brianmai7 Brianmai7
I would recommend doing it if you want to get the $1000 scholarship offered by the government.
Was this helpful? Yes 0