yconic - Any hopeful future doctors, what school? and grade 12 marks?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Any hopeful future doctors, what school? and grade 12 marks?

A photo of dominator dominator
The school you will be attending + your current grade 12 marks.

I'll start.

School: undecided (lol)

Marks:

Semester 1

Advanced functions: 85
Chemistry: 81
English: 78

Semester 2 (current)

Calculus: 93
Biology: 97
Exercise Science: 96

Went from doing minimal work in semester 1 to actually studying for tests/quizes + putting in some effort for labs and assignments.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
43 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Yep. Nice improvement.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emotycka emotycka
Just remember to keep up the studying in undergrad.Nothing kills med school plans like slacking in University...lol. Half of first year science kids pretty much say they want to go to med school.....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quiz Quiz

@emotycka wrote
Just remember to keep up the studying in undergrad.Nothing kills med school plans like slacking in University...lol. Half of first year science kids pretty much say they want to go to med school.....

+1 Go up to any first year science student at UWO. Guranteed that 90% of them will say they are in "biomed" or "biomedical sciences". It seems to be an ego thing, I guess. In reality, the biomedical program does not start until year 2. Try explaining this to any first year "biomed student", and they will attempt to convince you that they are in biomed with future plans for medical school.

Reality? They are not in biomed, and only some of them will make it into biomed after year 1. Of those students who still dream of med school at this point, only 10 % will realize this dream and make it into med school.

If I am wrong at all, I would appreciate someone with more knowledge than me to correct me. I just think prospective students should know the cold, hard truth before getting into anything and drowning. An excellent idea is to always carry more than one back-up plan if things don't work out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Quiz wrote
It seems to be an ego thing, I guess. In reality, the biomedical program does not start until year 2.

Nah. 1st year is pretty much general science, 2nd year is intermediate biology, 3rd and 4th years are biomed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@emotycka wrote

I'm still not studying as much as I could and will maximize this next year (and on). Definitely heard enough stories and I know what it takes on every step.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Quiz wrote

@emotycka wrote

+1 Go up to any first year science student at UWO. Guranteed that 90% of them will say they are in "biomed" or "biomedical sciences". It seems to be an ego thing, I guess. In reality, the biomedical program does not start until year 2. Try explaining this to any first year "biomed student", and they will attempt to convince you that they are in biomed with future plans for medical school.

Reality? They are not in biomed, and only some of them will make it into biomed after year 1. Of those students who still dream of med school at this point, only 10 % will realize this dream and make it into med school.

If I am wrong at all, I would appreciate someone with more knowledge than me to correct me. I just think prospective students should know the cold, hard truth before getting into anything and drowning. An excellent idea is to always carry more than one back-up plan if things don't work out.

lol a lot of those students who didnt make it, would have made it had they gone to a very easy school. Hence my plan is to go to a very easy school + stay home.

There is zero point in actually going to a hard undergrad school if you have med school hopes... no one cares about your school. If anything, one single reference letter will have much greater value when applying vs. going to the easiest or hardest school.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

bump
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of futuredoc futuredoc
Doctor...for now that's the plan! :cheers:

School: McMaster University (Honours Bachelor of Health Sciences)

Grade 12 marks:

English--95
Chemistry--93
Physics--97
Calculus & Vectors--91
Challenge & Change in Society--99
Biology--98
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@futuredoc wrote

Grade 12 marks:

English--95
Chemistry--93
Physics--97
Calculus & Vectors--91
Biology--98

nice job. How much time you put in for your bio and physics marks? I had a couple low effort things that are keeping me from the 98 range but hoping that'll change after 2 more tests + an exam.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessiexo jessiexo
Maybe.. :P

School: McGill

Program: BSc. Biol, Biomed & Life Sci

* Might still go into commerce so this is a maybe :P

Marks (IB Diploma, but Ontario Top 6)

Chem (IB HL) 97

Bio (IB HL) 94

Calc (IB SL) 96

Functions (IB SL) 95

English (IB HL) 92

Data Management (Ontario Academic) 95
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jessiexo wrote
Maybe.. :P

School: McGill

Program: BSc. Biol, Biomed & Life Sci

* Might still go into commerce so this is a maybe :P

Marks (IB Diploma, but Ontario Top 6)

Chem (IB HL) 97

Bio (IB HL) 94

Calc (IB SL) 96

Functions (IB SL) 95

English (IB HL) 92

Data Management (Ontario Academic) 95

looking good regardless
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dominator wrote

@futuredoc wrote

Grade 12 marks:

English--95
Chemistry--93
Physics--97
Calculus & Vectors--91
Biology--98

nice job. How much time you put in for your bio and physics marks? I had a couple low effort things that are keeping me from the 98 range but hoping that'll change after 2 more tests + an exam.

thanks :) I operate on a last minute basis, so I don't put in that much time, but I do put in a lot of effort. For physics, I hardly ever did my homework, except when I didn't fully understand the lesson. But I always dedicated the day before a test just for physics (ie. ~10 hours straight). I would do practice problems from the hw, test review if the teacher gave us one, and looking over notes.

For bio (I have it this semester) I do my homework more often, but still basically cram everything into the day before. I guess you could say I do this for all of my classes. However, for biology,there are many more assignments, labs, projects, etc that are also time consuming. For example, my bio ISU is due tomorrow, and I've been working on it all weekend. (I spent my long weekend doing bio :( ) I came on here to take a little break, but I better go finish.:cyclops:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LordNerd LordNerd
73-Advanced Functions <- please stop laughing and/or cringing.
92-Band
96-Vocal (may be known as choir where you go)
94-History (West and the World)<- highest mark in class, I am proud.
95-Physics
92-Biology
93-Music
93-Chemistry
82-Calculus
83-English

Before you ask; I have ten credits this year because I took functions in summer school, band and vocal happen before regular school hours and I only took one spare. Summer school also explains the really crappy functions mark. I discovered that I perform poorly when tested on math the day after I learn the material. The last three marks are from second semester midterm. English is higher now because I have done really well on the assignments (There were three things counted in the midterm grade) but I do not know what the mark is. For come reason calc is just not working out for me though.

I am 95% sure I will be entering life sci I at McMaster next year and then enter biophysics later but I am still waiting for my acceptance package from U of T and if they offer me a considerably larger amount of money I may go there. I applied for scholarships from them. Yes, I did apply to McMaster health sci as well as life sci. I was rejected but I think biophysics looks more fun anyway. I applied to see if I could get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Aeria Aeria
Count me in :colors:

School and Program: McMaster University Bachelor of Health Sciences (as you can see in my siggy)

Marks:

Biology:99
Chemistry:100
Calculus:98
Data:99
English:98
Functions:99
Physics:100
Politics:98

*Note that some of the courses are still ongoing and the marks are subject to change
Was this helpful? Yes 0

How do people get such high marks? I've never been able to get any higher than 95%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
How do people get such high marks? I've never been able to get any higher than 95%.

Seriously... especially for English. My teachers would have never allowed someone to get close to 100% on an essay.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@Aeria wrote

School and Program: McMaster University Bachelor of Health Sciences (as you can see in my siggy)

Marks:

*Note that some of the courses are still ongoing and the marks are subject to change

How did you manage a 98 in english? Or high 90s in things like chemistry physics bio. Our high school tests always have questions where even if you memorized the entire text book by the word, you can't possibly get 99-100 on a test. There's always facts that require luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Aeria wrote

Marks:

You have done really well and I do not want to put you down but seriously, 98 in English? There is no way that would happen at my school. The highest mark in my class is 88.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Aeria Aeria
Well for those asking, let me tell you that the class averages in my courses are in the 70s and low 80s.:alien:

A 98 in English is possible because if you put so much effort into your writing an create such a high quality piece of work, it is impossible for the teacher to give you less than what you truly deserve. How can she give you a 90 if someone else's inferior essay got the same mark?:cat:

Studying, extracurriculars and friends leave me 2-3 hours a day to sleep. I truly believe that you can achieve whatever you want if you truly are willing to do anything for it.I will admit I'm obsessed, possibly neurotic about getting things perfect but I've had the worst/most irrational teachers, personal hurdles with moving, plenty of distractions/obstacles etc. to overcome but an excuse is an excuse only if you make it one. It may be that there are slight differences in my school that give me the opportunity to score as much, but so much effort and hard work has gone into my work so dismissing it as "grade inflation" when class averages are low kind of undermines my effort.:cheese:

Anyways, at the end of it all HS marks mean squat!I got into the program of my choice but I didn't need my average for it.It makes no difference whether I got a 90 or a 98. No one (other than me) really cares about what I got. What really counts is uni and hopefully I can continue my effort.:colors:

Anyways, lots of luck to you all, hopefully we will all meet in med school one day!:cheers:

And for those going to BHSc at Mac I can't wait to see you guys!!!:bom:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ You mean 2-3 hours a day to nap, with 6-8 hours to sleep, right? RIGHT???
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Aeria, I want to congratulate you on the high marks you achieved. Clearly, you put in a lot of effort into school. Even at a school where teachers don't mark as hard, someone who doesn't put in any effort won't get the marks you have.

I'm not trying to say that you don't work hard for your marks, because I'm positive you do, but for the rest of you guys, it is next to impossible to get marks that high in all of your classes, so I do agree that there must be an inflation component. I have some marks in the high 90's, but at my school, only me and one other student in my grade get high 90's, and I guess that's a combination of natural ability in addition to tons of work. However, at my school, 95 and 96 are achievable for top students, 97 is possible, 98 is rare, and 99 is extremely almost impossible.

For English, 90's are hard to get, but again, the top 2 or 3 students get low 90's. High 90s are basically impossible, because English is so subjective, and your writing can never really be perfect; it's always improvable. I got a 95 in gr.12 English because I took it in summer school to get it out of my way, but if I had taken it at day school, there's no way I would have been able to get a mark in the mid to high 90s.

Basically, I want to say that high marks are achievable, if you work really hard for them, but it is unfortunate that grade inflation/deflation exists. At this point, what's done is done, and hopefully everyone got into the program they wanted anyways. Good luck to everyone in uni, and Aeria, I look forward to meetin you in BHSc! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Aeria Aeria

Unfortunately no, 3 hours includes a 1hr nap and 12-2am "sleep". I know that's bad but I admit that I procrastinate a little. If I study in the morning, I remember things really well so yeah...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Aeria wrote

Unfortunately no, 3 hours includes a 1hr nap and 12-2am "sleep". I know that's bad but I admit that I procrastinate a little. If I study in the morning, I remember things really well so yeah...

I feel you there. I am also in tons of extracurriculars plus working on RCM grade 8 piano. It leaves little relaxation/sleep time. I found that forcing myself to go to bed at around one and getting up again to work at 5 helped. I had history first period so that was how I pulled that mark. There were definitely nights when I got thiry minutes to an hour of sleep. I don't know how it works at your school but band and choir are at 7:45 in the morning for me four days of the week. There is not enough coffee to make me cheery at that time.

BTW, I just accepted my McMaster life sci I offer. I am hoping for biophysics in second year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Massy06 Massy06

@Quiz wrote

@emotycka wrote

i think this goes for any first year undergrad program, they dun really know anything so special than other first year uni courses cuz they all just stepped out of highshcool. I think the only ego booster would be mac health sci program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0