yconic - Any math people in here?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Any math people in here?

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred
Not sure where to post math questions, but this seems like the most fitting spot in the forum. It's not homework. I mostly study this stuff independently now. Here's what I think is a pretty tough question.

A railroad bridge is 20 m above, and at right angles to, a river. A person in a train travelling at 60 km/h passes over the center of the bridge at the same instant that a person in a motorboat traveling at 20 km/h passes under the centre of the bridge. How fast are the two separating 10 seconds later?

Any ideas? I do have the answer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
What's the answer? I got 17.46 m/s (I did round a lot cause I got lazy) by expressing the distance between them as a function (Pythagorean theorem). Also I converted everything into m/s because the answer asks for seconds...and km/h is just stupid :)
After I made the function I just derived it (chain rule) then plugged in 10 into whatever variable you assigned to time.
Hopefully I'm not wrong or else I'd just be really, really, really, really embarrassed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The question does actually ask for the answer in km/h. But yeah that's the answer I got. Sweet!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ahh, I hate working in km/h though :( oh well haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EricF14 EricF14
To go from km/h to m/s and vice versa, just work out the units.

Ex: To find what 1 m/s is in km/h...

( 1 m/s ) * (1 km / 1000 m) * (60 s / min) * (60 min / hr) = 3.6 km/h

Cancel units and you should get that answer
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@EricF14 wrote
To go from km/h to m/s and vice versa, just work out the units.

Ex: To find what 1 m/s is in km/h...

( 1 m/s ) * (1 km / 1000 m) * (60 s / min) * (60 min / hr) = 3.6 km/h

Cancel units and you should get that answer

I'm sure he knows how to do it. He was just saying how terrible km/h are to work with. m/s is always better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I know how to do it, just think it's annoying... :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0