yconic - Any photographers.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Any photographers.

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK
Anyone out there into their photography at all?

Long shot but I'm thinking of getting a Sony NEX5 / 5n 18-55mm because I need something more compact than my Nikon, anyone have any experience with this cam (or recommend other four thirds)?

N.B I am not a "flickring" hipster jumping on the evil compact hype, I need something small for my travels.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of kraken kraken
I'm somewhat into photography but don't know much about various cameras and stuff. I have a point and shoot which is kinda lame, want something better but am broke...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of samanthabanks samanthabanks
OH GOD, Do it. I love the NEX line so much. I work at a photography store and though I like you, shoot Nikon, all I find myself doing is recommending the NEX 4/3 line lately. The NEX7 is gorgeous as well! And their 16mm lens is super crisp!
The sensor size on it is really nice so the low light capabilities are superb, which is awesome for something the size of a p&s. Another cool thing about it is that it's obviously mirrorless, which for most sensible people is a plus cause the image is not bouncing off/transferring off too many things which obviously makes the colours a lot more vivid. Honestly, the power packed into that baby is sweet. It's a DSLR hiding in a point and shoot. Plus Sony is so durable, and we all know how crisp their lenses are. It's really quick to pick up too, menu systems are integrated really nicely. Another nice 4/3 is the Olympus pen. SO NICE. The last good point that I'm gonna throw out here before I stop ranting is the point that you can throw it in a dustbag in your backpack/whatever, and chances are security won't even check it because it's so small! A good advantage if SLRs are not allowed. Enjoy your camera, Oscar :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
any recommendations for me samantha? def not a dslr since my max price is probably around 200-250, but just something... better.

I have this http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=DSCW350/B and it's good for point and shooting, but the zoom sucks (I want at leasttt 12x) and it's not very customizable. There are a bunch of preset modes for shooting certain things but that's lame, I want to be able to set the shutter speed, ISO etc.

No idea if I'll actually buy a camera now, might wait til next year, but I'm exploring my options :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of OscarUK OscarUK

@samanthabanks wrote
OH GOD, Do it. I love the NEX line so much. I work at a photography store and though I like you, shoot Nikon, all I find myself doing is recommending the NEX 4/3 line lately. The NEX7 is gorgeous as well! And their 16mm lens is super crisp!
The sensor size on it is really nice so the low light capabilities are superb, which is awesome for something the size of a p&s. Another cool thing about it is that it's obviously mirrorless, which for most sensible people is a plus cause the image is not bouncing off/transferring off too many things which obviously makes the colours a lot more vivid. Honestly, the power packed into that baby is sweet. It's a DSLR hiding in a point and shoot. Plus Sony is so durable, and we all know how crisp their lenses are. It's really quick to pick up too, menu systems are integrated really nicely. Another nice 4/3 is the Olympus pen. SO NICE. The last good point that I'm gonna throw out here before I stop ranting is the point that you can throw it in a dustbag in your backpack/whatever, and chances are security won't even check it because it's so small! A good advantage if SLRs are not allowed. Enjoy your camera, Oscar :)

I bought myself the NEX 5N the other day, early xmas present to myself... I love it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0