yconic - Any questions about Schulich?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Any questions about Schulich?

A photo of RichardFuld RichardFuld
In my second year of the BBA program- feel free to ask me anything about the application process, classes, grades, social life, jobs, etc.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of aeryn aeryn
How was the stats final? :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jmiranda15 jmiranda15
Hey,I just signed up for the forum!! I am in my first year of the iBBA program- ask me anything and I will do my very best to help you guys!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BudsFan94 BudsFan94
Hey folks,

What would you say is a competitive average to get into Schulich's BBA program? Also, how much emphasis is placed on the supplementary and reference letter? I hope your all having a great time at Schulich! Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Soccerboy Soccerboy

@jmiranda15 wrote
Hey,I just signed up for the forum!! I am in my first year of the iBBA program- ask me anything and I will do my very best to help you guys!

What is the cut-off for this program? Is the 'curriculum' for this program much different from BBA at Schulich?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Cut-off is usually in the low 90s. Last year, it was around 91. The curriculum is pretty different than the BBA program. The amount of shared courses between the two programs decreases throughout the years. Even within subjects, the courses are different (ex. first year economics for BBAs is econ with York students; first year econ for iBBA students is a separate course just for iBBA students). Generally, the iBBA courses teach similar material, but with a more international focus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote
How was the stats final? :p

Sorry for the late reply.

It's pretty tough! The midterm was a joke in comparison. They actually switched the weighting of our midterm and final so our final was worth 30% and our midterm 50%.

Our prof told us that every single person did better on the midterm and final. That should tell you something.

Not much more to say beyond that...study really, really hard. It was half multiple choice and half written answers and though the multiple choice were pretty easy, prep hard for the final.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@BudsFan94 wrote
Hey folks,

What would you say is a competitive average to get into Schulich's BBA program? Also, how much emphasis is placed on the supplementary and reference letter? I hope your all having a great time at Schulich! Thanks!

Anything above a 91 should be good. Kids with 90.3 in my year got in, so don't worry if you're in that range, but 91+ is a good spot to be in.

I think the supplementary is fairly important, only if you're in the 90-92 range. If you have a 99, you're getting in no matter what. If you have an 87, don't bother applying. But if you're in the low 90 range do a really good job on your essays as I knew some people on the admissions committee and they do, despite what people here will tell you, matter. The reference letter is more of a standard and doesn't go a long way unless it's really, really impressive.

Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Soccerboy wrote

@jmiranda15 wrote

What is the cut-off for this program? Is the 'curriculum' for this program much different from BBA at Schulich?

Though aeryn already answered this, in my year the cutoff was 90.5 for BBAs and 91 for iBBAs. The iBBAs have a tougher econ, but don't take things like accounting till second year so if you want to get your CA, don't bother with iBBA you'll waste your summers doing extra courses to get your required CA credits.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yixuan Yixuan
Hello,

What is the major difference between BBA and iBBA, which one is easier to get in?

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of btasson15 btasson15
Hey Yixuan,

The main difference between the BBA and IBBA program is that the IBBA program is more focused around global studies. The program requires you to take globally focused courses as well as a mandatory exchange program. However, as the IBBA program accepts fewer students, it tends to be more challenging to get into than the BBA program.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions I'd be happy to help :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
^ and iBBA requires that you reach advanced proficiency in a language other than English :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apple123 apple123
Is schulich really math intensive?? such as UofT... are there any particular math courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Nope, not too math intensive. There's stats first and second year, but no other math courses unless you choose to do them (ie. if you want to go into Finance, you'll be talking calculus).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

so its not really math intensive but what about accounting major is there calculas or other math related couruses ....???

What would you say Ryerson Math > Schulic Math or Schulic Math > Ryerson Math
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Soccerboy Soccerboy
Hey, what if your overall average is 87 in Grade 11, but up till now you have 5 Grade 12 Courses at a 91 avg? Can you still get early acceptance?

How can we also push our guidance councillors into submitting our mid-term marks into the OUAC system, because they haven't done it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Soccerboy wrote
Hey, what if your overall average is 87 in Grade 11, but up till now you have 5 Grade 12 Courses at a 91 avg? Can you still get early acceptance?

How can we also push our guidance councillors into submitting our mid-term marks into the OUAC system, because they haven't done it.

My grade 11 average was a 63 and my grade 12 was a 91 so you already have me beat. No I didn't take any private school courses, but tons of kids at Schulich did and it didn't affect their application whatsoever.

Believe me, any marks before grade 12 are not considered to any extent. They won't help you get early acceptance and it won't deter your chances.

I tried pushing my midterm marks, but my guidance counsellor didn't go for it. You can try but the rounds at Schulich work like this:

March break - First round, based on semester 1 grades
Early May - Second round, based on semester 1 + midterm semester 2 grades (midterm were out April 23rd last year, second round went out on may 4th)
Mid-End of May - Everyone else

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@aeryn wrote
Nope, not too math intensive. There's stats first and second year, but no other math courses unless you choose to do them (ie. if you want to go into Finance, you'll be talking calculus).

That's not true. Calculus is optional in the finance stream and no field in finance mandates that you take a specific York-based math course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

HI!

So 2 questions...
1) Will I get in with the following marks
ENG 90
IB 90
ACC 90
Calc 84
AF 81
HHS 90
History 91
World Issues 91
* Also I have amazing ECs....

2) What courses do you have to take for the accounting major what courses do you have take? Any Calculus? Is the accounting major math intensive....

I really appreciate all your help!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

bump
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JumboJet JumboJet

@RichardFuld wrote

@Soccerboy wrote

My grade 11 average was a 63 and my grade 12 was a 91 so you already have me beat. No I didn't take any private school courses, but tons of kids at Schulich did and it didn't affect their application whatsoever.

Believe me, any marks before grade 12 are not considered to any extent. They won't help you get early acceptance and it won't deter your chances.

I tried pushing my midterm marks, but my guidance counsellor didn't go for it. You can try but the rounds at Schulich work like this:

March break - First round, based on semester 1 grades
Early May - Second round, based on semester 1 + midterm semester 2 grades (midterm were out April 23rd last year, second round went out on may 4th)
Mid-End of May - Everyone else

Hi Richard.

Would you say that your essays and EC activities for the supplementary report were extraordinarily good?

Which round of acceptance did you get?

I'm asking because I am in a very similar situation average-wise at the moment but hoping to pull up into that 93 range.

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of username101 username101

@JumboJet wrote

Hi Richard.

Would you say that your essays and EC activities for the supplementary report were extraordinarily good?

Which round of acceptance did you get?

I'm asking because I am in a very similar situation average-wise at the moment but hoping to pull up into that 93 range.

Thanks!

If u have a 93, i doubt they'll reject u.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
are reference letters limited to extra curricular activities? as in, i can only get a reference letter that has relevance to my ec, and not just from course teachers?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn

@Rodarte wrote
are reference letters limited to extra curricular activities? as in, i can only get a reference letter that has relevance to my ec, and not just from course teachers?

Keep in mind that the purpose of the letters is to substantiate two of the activities in your activity log. You can get a letter from teachers, but only if they prove that you did an activity. For example, you can get a letter from the teacher supervisor for a club.
Was this helpful? Yes 0