yconic - Any questions about Waterloo engineering?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Any questions about Waterloo engineering?

A photo of wendy94 wendy94
hey guys, im a first year student. i remember what it was like for me last year around this time, so let me know if you have any questions. admissions, marks, student life, campus etc
Waterloo is an amazing school so far, so i recommend you all to apply!!
feel free to ask anything!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
32 replies

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Do you have spaces for electives or a even minor? Also, how is the marking, or is it too early to notice anything :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie
How much does the AIF really add to your average?
Some say its 12%, some say its 5%.

If the school adjustment factor is +/- 3%

That would mean our average can get adjusted +/-15% or +/-8%

SCARY :|
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iRamie wrote

I think the AIF can only add to your average...dropping a 95 average to an 80 seems kinda harsh LOL
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@iliketurtles wrote

@iRamie wrote

I think the AIF can only add to your average...dropping a 95 average to an 80 seems kinda harsh LOL

I wish they did that -.-
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iRamie wrote

@iliketurtles wrote

@iRamie wrote

I wish they did that -.-

I'm sure you'd have to be pretty horrible on your AIF to convince them to take away 12% from your average :P
ps I noticed you're taking ICS 4U1....what language do you guys use at your school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@iliketurtles wrote

@iRamie wrote

@iliketurtles wrote

@iRamie wrote

I wish they did that -.-

I'm sure you'd have to be pretty horrible on your AIF to convince them to take away 12% from your average :P
ps I noticed you're taking ICS 4U1....what language do you guys use at your school?

I think its C#, i don't pay attention in class. Actually, i don't even go to class most of the time.
Last year i got 99% (I screwed up 2 questions on exam).
Now im getting 100% in 4U

The problem is that i can get 100% in stuff i like to do such as Computer Related courses (Which no universities give a crap about), but i do horrible in some other ones (Math, English) (Which is all that universities care about)

FMLLLL
Was this helpful? Yes 0

haha lucky...I wish I learned to program on my own way before but the idea never occurred to me :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plaidboy plaidboy
hey i've got a bunch.

If you know anything about civil engineering, can you tell me if there's a good job market for it? My parents say its hard to find a job for it, but I think otherwise because it's not all about desigining structures on contract. I'm not entirely sure though. Also, how is management engineering? I'm thinking of putting it as my last choice when I apply to waterloo engineering? What exactly can you major in? What sorts of jobs can you find? Also, during Waterloo's visit to schools or at the Ontario University Fair, would they tell me the cutoff for any engineering program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
I'm looking to apply to civil engineering as well. What marks should I be aiming for if I have a fairly weak AIF? I'm fairly sure that my school is in very positive terms if there is an adjustment factor. eINFO says its around the mid 80s... would I be pretty safe if my top 6 was around 90?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@plaidboy wrote

If you know anything about civil engineering, can you tell me if there's a good job market for it? My parents say its hard to find a job for it, but I think otherwise because it's not all about desigining structures on contract.

I know a LOT of civil engineers. Since they're so involved in building infrastructure, they're pretty important, and there will always be jobs available as long as we have buildings. My boyfriend is a civil and does structural restoration, so basically analyzing and then restoring old and worn down buildings.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iRamie wrote

the AIF really helps! its 5%, thats the official amount said by the Registrar. Make sure you make your AIF look really good.

If your average is in the low-mid 90s, the AIF just reassures them that you're the right person for the program. However, if your average is in the 80s, you definitely want to make that AIF as good as possible. Extra curriculars help alot as well. I know a bunch of people that had mid 80 averages, and no extra curriculars and therefore did not receive a offer of admission.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iliketurtles wrote
Do you have spaces for electives or a even minor? Also, how is the marking, or is it too early to notice anything :P

Yes, you have electives, but only in upper years. Let me warn all of you: first year is the worst! By worst, I mean the hardest. Theres a reason for this. They want to get rid (for lack of a better word) of all the people who aren't meant to be in the program. You have to deal with 30-45 hours of class a week, plus homework and extra curriculars. Not to forget, you have to make resumes and attend workshops for co-op.
About the marks, I find them pretty fair. I'd say they mark the same way as they do in highschool. the BIG difference is the pace! What I learned in 3 weeks in highschool, we covered in barely 4 days. thats why most people's averages drop.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zmerali zmerali
Hi,
I'm planning to apply to UW in the Faculty of Nanotechnology Engineering, in the Fall of 2012.
Is there anything I need to know? In terms of application deadlines and averages?
Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LegendaryCyclone LegendaryCyclone
I've heard a lot about the University of Waterloo, and have thought it's great and it probably is. But when I search up the best universities, Waterloo is 5th or lower. Any reason why, or is it based on opinions? If opinions, then what opinions might those be?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Urnehpets Urnehpets
Dear OP, do you have any info on early admission for waterloo eng? Like, if there even is early admission, when do you start applying, how does it work, etc.

I'm really confused on early admission. But I wanna have a shot at getting in by Christmas. :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of snowbunny snowbunny
Do you know anything about Mechatronics?
Do you know what the cut-off is?
Number of hrs for tron students?
Do you know how many apply to tron and how many are accepted?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cheers123 cheers123

@snowbunny wrote

I have the same questions as snowbunny.Plus, would it get me a greater chance of getting accepted if I showed good IELTS scores when applying with AS?
Also how do you apply to waterloo? Are the applications out already? The website doesn't show that yet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

For early admissions do they take the average of all 8 courses in gr 11 or only the required courses for acceptance except the gr 11 version? When would the early acceptances be coming out?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@snowbunny wrote
For early admissions do they take the average of all 8 courses in gr 11 or only the required courses for acceptance except the gr 11 version? When would the early acceptances be coming out?

Very rare for early acceptance to Waterloo Engineering programs.

I contacted the admissions office and they said a bit of the offers come out after first semester, the rest come after midterms.

Their first year curriculum is based off of our grade 12 curriculum, not grade 11 ones. So it would be no use.

I know this because last year after i F**ked up my marks while not doing my homework and goofing off, i panicked and called everyone and even posted here. People laughed at how much i freaked out because of my crappy gr 11 marks, they said it doesn't matter :D.

So good thing i messed up in gr 11 and not gr 12 :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kooh Kooh

@cheers123 wrote

@snowbunny wrote

I have the same questions as snowbunny.Plus, would it get me a greater chance of getting accepted if I showed good IELTS scores when applying with AS?
Also how do you apply to waterloo? Are the applications out already? The website doesn't show that yet.

Not sure about the cutoff for 2016 class, check the CUDO, Common University Data Ontario for Waterloo in 2011 when it comes out.

There is roughly 35 hours of classes per week for mechatronics

As far as I know there is around 130 people in mechatronics this year. Not sure about the # of applicants .

OUAC > Quest Sign-Up > Quest (admissions)

aif is on quest
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Are you in TRON? What yr, can you post what the cut-off was from your year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@shirl3y wrote
Hey OP,

I'm a grade 12 student and I'm planning on applying to Waterloo for Comp Eng in the next few months.

I'm just going to put it out there- I am not a top student. My average ranges from the low to mid 80s but I've been to Waterloo so many times and I'm just so completely in love with the campus. So, my question is, is it worth a shot? Or should I not keep my hopes up and look towards going to another school instead? I have a really good work ethic but since English is my second language, it takes me a while to understand concepts in class but I am pretty decent at programming. Are they more lenient when it comes to females applying to their programs since there is such a small population of them in engineering?

Also, I am currently taking a Computer Engineering class but considering dropping it since my teacher is a bit of a douche and has been making us fix school computers since the beginning of school and just discourages everyone from doing any programming. Its really upsetting and dropping it will give me a spare that I can use to study for my other classes. If you were in my position, would you drop the class or not?

Thanks so much in advance!

Shirley

Since you're a girl you will most likely get in with those grades. They want to have more women in engineering.

Also, Computer Engineering is an M Course, so remember that they won't go straight to the advanced stuff. He may be asking you to fix computers to get the lower people caught up to expectations. IMO don't drop the course, if you are passionate about computers, you will easily get yourself a 90 (If you school doesn't inflate marks ofc).

From reading your post above, your English seems fine with me, unless you got someone to edit and proofread your post (Jk):\

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
Hey OP, I'm just wondering what kind of questions will be on the AIF?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Soccerboy Soccerboy

@wendy94 wrote
hey guys, im a first year student. i remember what it was like for me last year around this time, so let me know if you have any questions. admissions, marks, student life, campus etc
Waterloo is an amazing school so far, so i recommend you all to apply!!
feel free to ask anything!

HOW MUCH HOURS OF WORK DO YOU IN CLASS?
HOW MUCH HOURS OF WORK DO YOU DO OUTSIDE OF CLASS?

thank you :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0