yconic - Any university start in march/april/may?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Any university start in march/april/may?

A photo of majid01 majid01
Hey everyone!

I was wondering if biomedical and biochemistry classes started in april/may at western? If not, would you know of any other university that start around those times? I am asking this because I will finish high school (grade 12) mid january of 2013. And I really dont want to wait another full semester until september 2013 to get into university, any advice?

Thank you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
There are summer courses that start in May. Whether or not you'd be able to take them is beyond me. You wouldn't be a Western student at that point, as acceptances aren't officially finalized till mid June. However, you don't necessarily have to be an official student of the university to take courses there. Also, there's always Athabasca U. Most universities allow you to take a maximum of 5.0 full-course equivalents at another university.

As far as I know, there are no undergraduate programs that start in May.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

ohhh ok, thanks! Although if I take a few couse at athabasca online, will this help me enter western university for biological sciences in september? Also, will any scholarships be ruled out as I saw that they sometime applie to high school students going to a full schedule in university. I will ultimetly do that although I will have a couple university courses already done.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I had a friend who advanced through high school quickly (we were in a lot of the same 4U courses, even though he was a grade 11 student); he took a university course through some special program offered to high school students (through Western actually) that started in early January of his grade 12 year. I forget the name of the program. Do a bit of searching.

Yes, I do believe a lot of scholarships require you to be a full-time student to be eligible, which could very well just mean that you're taking 3.0 FCEs or greater (of the usual 5.0 in a year). As it depends a lot on the situation, I won't generalize, but it is definitely worth looking into.

What do you mean will it help you? Will it help you get admitted? No. Will it be an experience that will advance you towards becoming a more experienced student? Yes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
I had a friend who advanced through high school quickly (we were in a lot of the same 4U courses, even though he was a grade 11 student); he took a university course through some special program offered to high school students (through Western actually) that started in early January of his grade 12 year. I forget the name of the program. Do a bit of searching.

Yes, I do believe a lot of scholarships require you to be a full-time student to be eligible, which could very well just mean that you're taking 3.0 FCEs or greater (of the usual 5.0 in a year). As it depends a lot on the situation, I won't generalize, but it is definitely worth looking into.

What do you mean will it help you? Will it help you get admitted? No. Will it be an experience that will advance you towards becoming a more experienced student? Yes.

I see, what I meant was if it would help me getting admittance into the program since I will have completed some of the early courses. Are the course that ive finished be able to transfer to western? It seems finishing grade 12 early is not really helping and will only hinder my chance at scholarships and such. Does western have any course starting in may so i can directly jump into university as a full time student and being able to be consider for those scholarships? I am pretty confused haha :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I don't see how graduating early has hindered your chances of scholarships. You are still eligible for all the scholarships that someone graduating in June would be eligible for. It doesn't really help you in terms of entering university, because as you've seen, most programs start in September.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
I don't see how graduating early has hindered your chances of scholarships. You are still eligible for all the scholarships that someone graduating in June would be eligible for. It doesn't really help you in terms of entering university, because as you've seen, most programs start in September.

Ohhh ok, that clears things up. I was thinking that it could hinder my scholarship chances as I will propably be part-time studying university courses from end january to september. What would you recomemend doing from end of january til entry at UWO in september so that I dont hinder my chances at scholarship and keep the pace in my bio/science studys? I dont want to do nothing in these months and would prefer to do something beside online courses (other than athabasca university) if possible.

Thanks again!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh, OK. I thought your plan was to take some courses before first year to lighten your course load in first year. If you plan on being a full-time student in first year, then, no, your plan will not affect your scholarships.

Yes, Athabasca U courses are usually transferable, assuming they aren't quasi-university courses like Cooking 101. There is usually a residency requirement, which I alluded to earlier: to graduate with a degree from, say, Western, you need to have completed at least 15.0 FCEs there (i.e. you can transfer no more than 5.0 FCEs from another school).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh, OK. I thought your plan was to take some courses before first year to lighten your course load in first year. If you plan on being a full-time student in first year, then, no, your plan will not affect your scholarships.

Yes, Athabasca U courses are usually transferable, assuming they aren't quasi-university courses like Cooking 101. There is usually a residency requirement, which I alluded to earlier: to graduate with a degree from, say, Western, you need to have completed at least 15.0 FCEs there (i.e. you can transfer no more than 5.0 FCEs from another school).

Well lets say I take full course in Athabasca from february to june. Would I then apply for scholarship at western for my entry in september? The thing is that I am afraid that taking a full course load in biology courses online will be thougher than regular studies at an actual university. But if i dont take full course load, I wont be able to get scholarships. What would you guys do after grade 12 in january knowing that you want to go to western the following september and not waste your time? Take full course at athabasca online for one semester till I apply at western with scholarsips or take a semi-full load of courses and still apply at western but I think this will hinder the chances at scholarships right? Anything else you would do?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If it were me, I'd just work full-time. There's little point in rushing into university. Besides, if you eventually do lighten your courseload, then that could be portrayed negatively by professional schools (who usually like to see a full courseload throughout your undergraduate studies).

Just to clear the air:
1) you don't have to be a full-time student at Athabasca to not miss out on any scholarships that are available only to full-time students at Western. Western doesn't really care about what you did at Athabasca; in fact, they won't even know about those courses until you claim them as transfers (which you would do after being officially enrolled at Western).
2) as an FYI, you don't have to take a full courseload (i.e. 5.0 FCEs/year) to be a full-time student; you just need to take 3.0 FCEs or more.

EDIT: 3) University semesters are different from high school semesters. In university, the two true semesters are Fall (September-December) and Winter (January [right after X-mas break ends]-end of April). Spring/Summer semesters are not as well-defined but, not surprisingly, run some time and for some time between May and August. If you wanted to start university in the Winter, then you'd have some overlap in January, when you'd be starting your university courses and ending your first semester high school courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If it were me, I'd just work full-time. There's little point in rushing into university. Besides, if you eventually do lighten your courseload, then that could be portrayed negatively by professional schools (who usually like to see a full courseload throughout your undergraduate studies).

Just to clear the air:
1) you don't have to be a full-time student at Athabasca to not miss out on any scholarships that are available only to full-time students at Western. Western doesn't really care about what you did at Athabasca; in fact, they won't even know about those courses until you claim them as transfers (which you would do after being officially enrolled at Western).
2) as an FYI, you don't have to take a full courseload (i.e. 5.0 FCEs/year) to be a full-time student; you just need to take 3.0 FCEs or more.

AHHH I see, thanks for clarifying. I will certainly weight and see both cons and pros of working or going to athabasca. What do you mean by overlap? Does western accept student who arent done high school in january but will finish in the same month (or even maybe U of O or any other univeristy)? If so, that would be SWEET. But I dont see how sadly :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I added more to my last post, in case you didn't notice.

Western doesn't really do a lot of co-ops. Waterloo is the place to go for that. What you can do as a Western Science student is an internship, which can last up to 16 months and would add a year onto how long it takes you to earn a degree. Internships/co-op are only really beneficial for people who plan on working after their degree and not continuing their education. This is not usually the case with science students. Do I think they are beneficial for engineering, geology, computer science, and business students? Yes, absolutely. In other cases, I can't say; it really depends.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I added more to my last post, in case you didn't notice.

Western doesn't really do a lot of co-ops. Waterloo is the place to go for that. What you can do as a Western Science student is an internship, which can last up to 16 months and would add a year onto how long it takes you to earn a degree. Internships/co-op are only really beneficial for people who plan on working after their degree and not continuing their education. This is not usually the case with science students. Do I think they are beneficial for engineering, geology, computer science, and business students? Yes, absolutely. In other cases, I can't say; it really depends.

Oh ok, I also edited my previous post (and, of course, asked another question). COOP doesnt really seem to be my thing then... Considering I want to apply to any med school afterwards...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Lots of edits going on here.

Well, university courses start in early January; high school courses don't end till the end of January/early February. Hence the overlap. Think about it: you start a university course on January 6th or so; will you be done your high school courses at this point? No. This time not a rhetorical question: will you have completed your OSSD at this point?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Lots of edits going on here.

Well, university courses start in early January; high school courses don't end till the end of January/early February. Hence the overlap. Think about it: you start a university course on January 6th or so; will you be done your high school courses at this point? No. This time not a rhetorical question: will you have completed your OSSD at this point?

What is OSSD? So there is no possible way to enter university if I finish my diploma exams a bit later?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I'll throw my opinion out there and will second the suggestion that you should just spend the next few months working or doing an internship in a relevant field. You want to go to med school? Great, you now have 7 months to volunteer in a hospital or something like that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
I'll throw my opinion out there and will second the suggestion that you should just spend the next few months working or doing an internship in a relevant field. You want to go to med school? Great, you now have 7 months to volunteer in a hospital or something like that.

That also seems like a good idea, howhever I really want to make sure borehand that the option to enter university while not finish my diplomas (although I will shortly after) is not valid.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
You can't go to university if you haven't graduated high school, simple as that. So you can't start in January and I don't know of any schools that allow or encourage summer admission. So that leaves Athabasca U but I don't really see what the point is of starting early especially if you're going to have to jump through hoops to get your credits transferred.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
You can't go to university if you haven't graduated high school, simple as that. So you can't start in January and I don't know of any schools that allow or encourage summer admission. So that leaves Athabasca U but I don't really see what the point is of starting early especially if you're going to have to jump through hoops to get your credits transferred.

Oh oh, jump through hoops? That doesnt seem reassuring? So, just to clarify, you would suggest working and doing community hours at the hospital or thing like that? I am just afraid to lose the beat while not attending school for 7 months....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

OSSD = Ontario Secondary School Diploma. I just assumed you were from Ontario (as most people on this forum are). I also assumed that you were graduating from high school at the end of this school year and were going back to upgrade marks, figure out your life, or whatever.

I think that you need to have graduated high school to even take Athabasca courses. Don't quote me on it.

OK, so if you haven't graduated high school by September 2012, then, your options are very limited. Again, Western offers that program that I mentioned before. My friend had not graduated high school but was able to take a university course. It was a special program offered by Western, and he was only able to take one course.

Again, and backing up what ktel said, I think it's a better idea to make some money and, yeah, might as well volunteer too. Will you lose the "beat"? Well, in university, we get almost 4.5 month summers, so 7 months isn't a big difference. Usually at the end of summer, after having worked for a few months, I'm actually glad to go back to school.

And I wouldn't let the hoop-jumping concern you. It's not that big of a deal. Fill out a few forms; that's about it. As long as you're not stupid and think that Western is going to honour your Athabasca Basketweaving 101 course, then you will be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

OSSD = Ontario Secondary School Diploma. I just assumed you were from Ontario (as most people on this forum are). I also assumed that you were graduating from high school at the end of this school year and were going back to upgrade marks, figure out your life, or whatever.

I think that you need to have graduated high school to even take Athabasca courses. Don't quote me on it.

OK, so if you haven't graduated high school by September 2012, then, your options are very limited. Again, Western offers that program that I mentioned before. My friend had not graduated high school but was able to take a university course. It was a special program offered by Western, and he was only able to take one course.

Again, and backing up what ktel said, I think it's a better idea to make some money and, yeah, might as well volunteer too. Will you lose the "beat"? Well, in university, we get almost 4.5 month summers, so 7 months isn't a big difference. Usually at the end of summer, after having worked for a few months, I'm actually glad to go back to school.

And I wouldn't let the hoop-jumping concern you. It's not that big of a deal. Fill out a few forms; that's about it. As long as you're not stupid and think that Western is going to honour your Athabasca Basketweaving 101 course, then you will be fine.

I get it, thanks for the info! I think il just take a couple of biology courses (which is far from basketweaving) and therefore should get transfered while working and doing volunteer and such, and then enter as a full student by september 2013.

Thanks for all the info!
Was this helpful? Yes 0