yconic - Anybody applied to Waterloo Computer Science?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Anybody applied to Waterloo Computer Science?

A photo of RonaldWeasley RonaldWeasley
I applied there. Let's hope we all get in! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of amsardesai amsardesai
I applied there. Let's hope we all get in! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheCatherine TheCatherine
me too !!!!
if i get in, ill be one of the few white girls.. ahaa :D
hopefully the competition doesnt skyrocket this year :s
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cometmars cometmars
So did I. Have you all submitted your AIF?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Make sure you all write the CCC and the Euclid.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@RonaldWeasley wrote
p.s. I heard somewhere that comp sci students are looked down upon by the engineering kids. I know we don't get that iron ring, but comp sci has good job opportunity just as much as them(may be better than engineering). I just hope this is a rumour. I know it is silly but I don't want to be looked down upon my whole 5 years of studying. Have any of you heard about this?

An excellent CS graduate has much more lucrative job opportinities in general than an excellent engineer. Additionally, CS is a more difficult degree in many cases. The engineers look down on everyone that doesn't take their 7 engineering courses. (There's a reason they rarely take non-eng versions of courses--the eng versions are tailored to be the correct difficulty for such a huge courseload.)

Anyhow, neither is really better, and the engineers are pretty arrogant and look down on everyone. You just tell them to bug off.

TheCatherine, I assure you that you'll receive all the attention you want and more. Because OH MY GOD A FEMALE IN CS THERE ARE LIKE ONLY 5 OF THOSE--oh wait. I don't think you understand what you're saying beyond the surface, and for the most part, it's not exactly a good thing for you.

Good luck to all of you on your applications, and if you get in, see you when you get here. Make sure to get involved! I suggest joining at least one club. People that don't regret it. :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MWu MWu
I applied!
Though I'm a bit worried over my extracurriculars since I never bothered with school clubs. ;_;
I haven't even handed in AIF yet, is that a bad thing?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cometmars cometmars
Is it absolutely required to compete in the CCC? I barely have any "on school" programming experience. I took a so-called computer science course back in grade 10. I got 90%, I was a slacker back then so yeah. I have some other programming experiences, but they are very BASIC.

So... can someone who does not have much "on school" programming experience get in to Co-op Computer Science or SE at UW? Do you know anyone who has in the past?

(Sorry for making your "meet other CS applicants" thread into a "questions" thread)
-------

I have not completed my AIFs either. My exam schedule is packed! Chem and Math back to back :( FML

Just can't wait to complete my exams (completing them well of course...that reminds me, should be studying now)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@cometmars wrote
So... can someone who does not have much "on school" programming experience get in to Co-op Computer Science or SE at UW? Do you know anyone who has in the past?

For the hundredth time, programming experience is not required for CS at all. For SE it is preferred but not required. People of both categories are accepted all the time.

@cometmars wrote
I have not completed my AIFs either. My exam schedule is packed! Chem and Math back to back :( FML

You need to complete the AIF no more than 3 weeks after you apply. Your high school stuff can wait--your high school exams shouldn't take more than a couple nights of cramming...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Whosaidthat Whosaidthat
Yea I applied on Dec 19, I think. I got an offer about 4 days ago, but I'm still waiting for the SE offer from Waterloo since that's my top program...

As for the AIF, I sent it roughly a week after I got their email.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Laffysx Laffysx
I am a female applying too! Sent in my AIF a month ago and I think I did good. I applied to 3 programs at Waterloo and it was a pain with the 900 character limit for the first question. Expected average around 88-90. Hope I get in...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mhz mhz
Applied mid-December, handed in AIF early January, accepted last week. Hope to see you guys there too :)

@TheCatherine wrote
me too !!!!
if i get in, ill be one of the few white girls.. ahaa :D
hopefully the competition doesnt skyrocket this year :s

You've given me hope - I was worried there would be no girls at all.

note: i'm a guy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0