yconic - Anyone at Trent?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Anyone at Trent?

A photo of Doorhandle Doorhandle
So I got accepted to Trent and even though it definitely lacks in reputations and I can definitely do better, I am seriously considering going. I am just wondering for anyone who is currently attending, how do you like it? The campus looks very nice to me, and I like the very small staff to student ratio (not to mention the scholarship money). And how is the social scene? Are the girls decently attractive?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of GoodStuff GoodStuff
I agree, Trent looks good.
The women were a good thing too - as per the open house!
What are people taking here.

Like the smaller classes and the flexibility to move between programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue

@Doorhandle wrote
So I got accepted to Trent and even though it definitely lacks in reputations and I can definitely do better, I am seriously considering going. I am just wondering for anyone who is currently attending, how do you like it? The campus looks very nice to me, and I like the very small staff to student ratio (not to mention the scholarship money). And how is the social scene? Are the girls decently attractive?

As the one and only Trent student I know of on these forums, let me answer for you:

1) How do I like it? Also, words about the campus and small staff to student ratio.

It's pretty awesome. I like the smaller community. It's not like other universities where when you say someone's name people are like "who the hell is that?" because the thing is it's only 3x as large as my high school. All the professors are extremely nice and approachable - for example, my probability professor took the effort to memorize all our names (approximately 100 of us) within 2 weeks and I saw her today while I was walking around campus and had a good 5 minute conversation with her about my future. It's that sense of caring that I really love. It really feels like they're looking out for student success (which is not the impression I get of other schools).

I should also give fair warning that I am in French and science courses where class sizes are relatively small even in first year (as opposed to sociology and English which are both massive). In my psychology class (~900 people taking first year psychology), I'm not at the same level of comfort with the professor but she is still super nice and approachable - I wouldn't be uncomfortable going to see her if I needed to.

There is one other thing I should point out about Trent: its location is both a blessing and a curse. Unless you live on campus (which most first year students do), there's no such thing as walking to class. We are literally in the middle of a forest. It's beautiful if you like nature and want that sort of serenity (the river helps with that impression too), but not so good if you are interested in night life and such things. That said the university does accommodate well for the location, by doing things like running special pub buses (1 and 2AM buses) for people who had a night on the town.

2) How is the social scene?

The social scene is as good as you make it. I'm personally not really into it (I prefer smaller groups of people), but there are people constantly going to the club (Trash, Splice and Sin City are popular) and house parties.

Generally, I find that you get more of a small town feel at Trent because a lot of the people who come here are from small towns. Anyone who comes to Trent from the Toronto area either had bad grades and didn't get in anywhere else (in which case they tend to not care about school, LOL) or wanted to escape the BS of city life (true of many of my Toronto friends who came with 90%+ averages).

In terms of residence, it really depends which building you end up in. Otonabee and Champlain tend to be more wild, Gzowski is really quiet but has the best building (this is where I live), and Lady Eaton just feels welcoming and community-like. If I reapplied for residence, I'd place them in this order: Lady Eaton, Gzowski, OC, then Champlain (mind you I'm not the super social type, so the parties at OC and Champlain don't appeal as much to me).

3) Are the girls decently attractive?

There's ups and downs here no matter where you go. Generally, I find that there are more girls who are attractive WITH a good personality here compared to Toronto area (where it's more of one or the other). This makes them even more attractive to me, so I would argue that they are attractive. Of course, that's all subjective and you may not agree with my opinion here.

4) What am I taking?

I'm a first year Con.Ed student. My courses are: calculus, French literature, probability (half year), linear algebra (half year), astronomy and psychology. Of course, there's also the Con.Ed class too but that's officially a Queen's class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0