yconic - Anyone else depending heavily on second semester?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Anyone else depending heavily on second semester?

A photo of heylooklisten heylooklisten
My strong subjects are all this semester, including English, my prereq. FOUR of my predicted top six are this semester!

I hear they hold off on your early acceptance if you didn't already finish English. Guess I have to wait till midterm in April.

Anyone else depending hard on second semester?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
26 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I'm not depending that heavily on this term for Ontario schools, definitely am for BC schools though.

As for the English thing, not true. I know some people who got into east coast schools who haven't completed English.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of poeticallydemented poeticallydemented
One of the only advantages of going to a non-semestered school... all of my marks are mid-term marks. :batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
Agreeeed.
But the only crappy thing is that because I'm from BC, I have to mail them my first term marks because second term won't make it in time for early admission..
:(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AsianFail93 AsianFail93
3/5 for engineering are this semester (which are the only 3 courses i have). Calc, Chem, Physics all in one go (consecutive periods)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I just need/want to get 95+ in everything.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leviaidan leviaidan
I have Chemistry, Physics and Calculus right now. That's half of my top six.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele
Mine's split pretty even I guess, Physics, English and AF last sem, Chem, Bio and Calc this sem.

Do they actually hold off acceptance if you haven't done english yet? (Doesn't apply to me, just curious)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CoutureCouture CoutureCouture
Yupp, a lot of social sciences and humanities that only have ENG as a pre-req will with hold your acceptance until they see a mark. "According to an English teacher"

@steele wrote
Mine's split pretty even I guess, Physics, English and AF last sem, Chem, Bio and Calc this sem.

Do they actually hold off acceptance if you haven't done english yet? (Doesn't apply to me, just curious)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
I know some people who haven't finished Eng but have still be accepted to some east coast universities already.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ffcelik ffcelik
I've been accepted to a few programs even though I'm doing my English now. But then again, they're the universities in Ottawa. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
Everything important was last semester for me. I can improve my top4, but I'm 2% above the predicted admission average already.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah I have English this semester too. I hate that I have to wait until April.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
I think that theory only applies to U of T.
One of my friends got his early acceptance into York in January and he hasn't finished English yet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes, but I want to hear back from them the most, which sucks : (
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
Gotta nail Calculus and Vectors. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Nyx Nyx

@leviaidan wrote
I have Chemistry, Physics and Calculus right now. That's half of my top six.

random: I know some one who has the exact same courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NerdmobileDriver NerdmobileDriver
Non-semestered except for calc, which I happen to be depending heavily on. I wish I had a fresh start though, taking the same courses all year long gets really tiring after a while so there's always a dip from first term to second. I'm expecting my average to go down at least 1%. -.-"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly
I had a 93% average my first semester, with 2/5 of my pre-req courses.

This semester I have math, geography, and law. Math is the only course I'm worried about... it'll bring my average down an estimated 4%. Goddamnit.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jensaur jensaur
I'm currently taking bio, chem AND physics this semester. It's actually not as bad as it seems since the only prereqs I'm really need is bio and chem (aiming for mid 90s) .. physics is just "recommended" and chances of it making into my top 6 are slim...

I have a friend taking all 3 sciences + calc. THAT is insane. Good thing I completed calc last semester ;D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah i have to try and maintain 90%+ with Calculus and Vectors, Chemistry, Physics and Biology.. all university level and all in one semester!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jagseer Jagseer
i already have 96.3 avg with physics, chem, accounting, and adv function
i have eng, bio, calc now
I got alot of early acceptances without english last semester, probably because they look at grade 11 english
Im just trying to hold a high average for scholarships
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SummerKnight SummerKnight

@heylooklisten wrote
My strong subjects are all this semester, including English, my prereq. FOUR of my predicted top six are this semester!

I hear they hold off on your early acceptance if you didn't already finish English. Guess I have to wait till midterm in April.

Anyone else depending hard on second semester?

nope they dont hold it off because i got 2 early acceptances and they just used my english mark from grade 11, so if your grade 11 english mark was good then they will still give it to u, as long as u dont fall below the minimun avr. to maintain
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
It's just a theory that a lot of people have proposed. Doesn't apply to most universities, but it seems to apply to a lot of people who have got into U of T.
Many on this forum who have gotten in have already finished Eng 12.

Btw - your siggy.. isn't it QUEEN'S UNIVERSITY and not university of queen's?
:scratch:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of canta93loupe canta93loupe

@cyynthiia wrote
^
I think that theory only applies to U of T.
One of my friends got his early acceptance into York in January and he hasn't finished English yet.

Nahhh. I got into U of T for Humanities at Trin and I'm still taking English this semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0