yconic - Anyone else getting screwed over with student loans?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Anyone else getting screwed over with student loans?

A photo of cblake91 cblake91
Hey guys.

So, today was a very bad day for me. Let me tell you why.

I'm a post secondary student out on the West Coast, and I am BARELY living off of student loans. I get about $4000 a semester and my tuition is $3000. So add the cost of books on top of that, and there goes all my loan money.

Well, I got a letter in the mail today. This letter was dated for NOVEMBER 2ND. Today is December 29th. The letter was from National Student Loan Services. It said that they needed proof of enrollment by December 31st, or else I would start paying interest on my loans, even though I am still in school. Well sh*t.

So I head over to my University, only to find out that THEY ARE CLOSED ALL CHRISTMAS BREAK UNTIL JANUARY 4TH. On top of that, it will take 2-6 weeks until I can get my proof of enrollment (and an extra $30). I'm pretty pissed right now. I'm going to have to pay interest on my loans, even though I'm still in school.

That's when I decided to call National Student Loan Services. They essentially told me "Not my problem", and then told me that if I had any outstanding fees on my account (AKA the interest that is going to be charged on January 1st) that they will not give me my loans for next semester. EVEN IF I HAVE THE PROOF OF ENROLLMENT. This is the moment when I started to cry.

I'm so mad, and there is nothing I can do. I'm bent over, and getting raped by the government. And this all could have been avoided if I didn't get this letter TWO FUCKING DAYS BEFORE THE DEADLINE.

Anyone else go through something similar?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of Ooosh Ooosh
If it is anything similar to OSAP you should have done the student enrollment proof part in September. Did you? Is this your first year on student loans? Sorry, but did you look at your loan site and see what you had to do (OSAP lists the proof of enrollment on the site) - I believe most schools do this for you, but maybe yours doesn't? Maybe it was an error on their end?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cblake91 cblake91
I was never informed that I would need to send out any proof of enrollment.

I'm in BC, and they expect the financial aid office at my school to tell me EVERYTHING. Not helpful at all.

Edit: They need it for next semester to know that I'm STILL in school. So they didn't need one for september, and because of the way my school is set up, I can't actually enroll for the next semester until mid-november.

I've calmed down a lot and I really just needed somewhere to rant.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
If you don't mind me asking, what school do you go to?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kundawg kundawg
The Student Loan program is very flawed overall. I had applied for a loan for this fall after finishing my first year trying to juggle working enough hours to live on with keeping up studies. I got a letter stating I didn't qualify for anything, and on top of that, they stated I owed money to them. Upon further investigation, I discovered that the provincial branch I applied to still showed a small loan I was given 10 years ago as being outstanding, despite the fact I repaid it 10 years ago (it was a short training course). On top of that, they wouldn't erase it from my file or make any attempt to contact the National body for this information (one would think they would be tied together with this information since the provincial body receives the applications, but the money is repaid to the National body). When I contacted the National body, I was told I had to call Royal Bank as that was where my information was held based on the year I had received it. Royal Bank had nothing to reflect I ever had a loan from them, so I called the National body again. They were able to provide a letter stating I had repaid the amount, and I had to provide it to the provincial people. Talk about poor coordination.
A fellow student was recently given a letter stating he will be receiving less money than he was originally approved for which gives him barely enough to pay rent and buy some food (and he has a roommate to split rent with). Several other students in my school also barely get any money. As this is to be repaid why can they not provide a bit more assistance to make it easier to study? There are a large number of students I know who must commute to one of the campuses an hour away as they do not offer a full time program at the local campus, which makes it hard to find work just on weekends to limit the impact on studies. Grrr!
I hope you are able to get everything worked out on your issue as there is no reason the letter didn't arrive much earlier for you, and most educational institutes close over the holidays.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Justyce Justyce
Lesson, hopefully, learned
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of susanlee729 susanlee729
osap screwed me over too:(
I was supposed to get enough money to pay for my residence fee but they didn't give me the full amount at once but they are gonna send cheque at the end of this month
Its not good because the due date to pay my fee is next week...
well hopely things work out...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of haileybouckhuyt haileybouckhuyt
this is something that i do not want to happen to me!! any tips on how to avoid this?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of angel2239 angel2239
My sister had to start paying back her osap as soon as she graduated, she went for legal administration and graduated with honors but she couldn't find a job in that field at all she has to work at wal mart instead, she called and told them all of this and argued for a bit but now the government is paying all of the interest on her Osap. it helps her somewhat.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@haileybouckhuyt wrote
this is something that i do not want to happen to me!! any tips on how to avoid this?

Yeah, keep on top of your paperwork and understand the process.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jomie jomie
Lucky for me I go to a vocational school and I only had to pay twice, once from the Canadian government, and the rest from the BC government. I had no problems whatsoever cause I just had to send out my paperwork once when my loans were approved and all I got was an e-mail or mail the next time they were paying my loans to my school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of garnet garnet

@haileybouckhuyt wrote

My best tip is to make a nuissance of yourself. Find your school's Financial Aid and/or Registrar's office, or however they call it and check on up your account status with them, even if you can access it online. Sometimes things are easier if you get them to lay it out for you verbally and it gives you the opportunity to ask questions with immediate feedback.
More than that, fight for it. If there's an issue somewhere, lay out your situation to the person you're talking to and ask for advice. Be willing to make up compromises. I actually just had to deal with my financial aid services today and found out that I'm short 1200$ on my account payment. But I also know that I have close to 600$ coming in as a check sometime in March from Student Loans, so I got the names I needed at the desk and e-mailed a request to have 600$ deferred until the check comes in as long as I pay the other 600$ now.
Also, stay organized. Keep all your student loan and university papers together in a file folder or box. When you have questions or are going to see someone about a problem, make sure you have all the relavent paper work on hand. Carrying around a few more documents then may need for the conversation is better than not having them at all and will save you legwork and headaches. It also shows the people you're dealing with that you're on top of things and reliable, making them more likely to listen to you.
To be fair, there will be some things beyond your control, like slow postal service. You just have to take things in stride and try not to stress out about it so much that it leaves you unable to find a solution. Stay positive and ask for advice from other students you know or the ones in executive positions in the dorms and/or university committees. So long as there are humans on earth, you're bound to find someone sympathetic to your situation who has some ideas on how to proceed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
This won't help your particular case, but the entire idea of borrowing money makes me weary. In the end, the creditors will always make a substantial profit off of you, regardless of your own well-being.

Beware of the Shylocks of the banking system.
Was this helpful? Yes 0