yconic - Anyone else going to university out of town?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Anyone else going to university out of town?

A photo of sevenzeroz sevenzeroz
I'm going to Carleton for university, which is in Ottawa, and I live in the GTA. I'm planning on getting a new phone soon but I don't really know if I should get a phone number from here or in Ottawa.....because of course what will I do when I go back to the other city?

I'm just curious to see what other people who go to university out of town are doing.

Thanks in advance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of CCM19 CCM19
My friend goes to London for school but is from Toronto and got a number for London. She has a bunch of new friends though from her school which is why she got a local number for London. When she comes back during the summer break, she switches her number for a local Toronto one. Yeah, she has changed her number quite a few times :P But it keeps her cost low.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26
I go to Western, but I'm from Kingston. I keep my number as a London one all year round. I always text and I rarely call, so I don't bother switching to a 613 number when I'm home.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I'm going to Queen's from BC. I'm getting a phone when I get to Kingston, hopefully with texting across Canada. I'm not too worried about contacting people back home though, there's always Facebook, Skype, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CCM19 wrote
My friend goes to London for school but is from Toronto and got a number for London. She has a bunch of new friends though from her school which is why she got a local number for London. When she comes back during the summer break, she switches her number for a local Toronto one. Yeah, she has changed her number quite a few times :P But it keeps her cost low.

I think I might just do this. I've been thinking about a lot of ideas involving getting different numbers and VoIP and all this other stuff, but I think that this would be the simplest way to go.

Zion: You actually don't have to wait to go to knigston to get your phone. Just go to a store of the carrier of your choice in your area and have them set up a Kingston cellphone number from that location.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@sevenzeroz wrote
Zion: You actually don't have to wait to go to knigston to get your phone. Just go to a store of the carrier of your choice in your area and have them set up a Kingston cellphone number from that location.

Yeah, thanks. My current contract expires in early September though, so it kind of works out that I can just get a new phone and plan when I get to Kingston.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I got a new cell number for university but I also have MY5 long distance so I can still call home and such. When I go home I just text (unless the people are on my MY5 list).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
If you're just going between Ottawa and Toronto, a good solution might be Wind Mobile. Their policy is such that whenever you're in one of their home zones (Toronto and Ottawa are both included) you're treated the same. That means you can keep the same phone number year round and not have any penalties with it. Also, their plans are reasonable prices especially during promotions (I'm on $40/month for unlimited data, North American talk and worldwide text with voicemail and a bunch of other features). It's also contract-free, so if you have a problem with the service you can discontinue it at any time.

The only issue is that their network can be a bit iffy sometimes - I'm not sure how well they'd do with all the tunnels at Carlton. If you did go with them, I suggest not using more than 30 minutes of talk time before you know you want it for sure so that you can still return the phone.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Ba Ba Blue wrote
If you're just going between Ottawa and Toronto, a good solution might be Wind Mobile. Their policy is such that whenever you're in one of their home zones (Toronto and Ottawa are both included) you're treated the same. That means you can keep the same phone number year round and not have any penalties with it. Also, their plans are reasonable prices especially during promotions (I'm on $40/month for unlimited data, North American talk and worldwide text with voicemail and a bunch of other features). It's also contract-free, so if you have a problem with the service you can discontinue it at any time.

The only issue is that their network can be a bit iffy sometimes - I'm not sure how well they'd do with all the tunnels at Carlton. If you did go with them, I suggest not using more than 30 minutes of talk time before you know you want it for sure so that you can still return the phone.

$40/month for unlimited data OMG that sounds godly.

But the phone I want is for Bell/Virgin only...hmmm I think I might look at Wind to see what they have anyway. Thanks for the tip ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue

@sevenzeroz wrote

@Ba Ba Blue wrote

$40/month for unlimited data OMG that sounds godly.

But the phone I want is for Bell/Virgin only...hmmm I think I might look at Wind to see what they have anyway. Thanks for the tip ;)

That was a holiday plan (its name is Holiday Miracle plan), so don't expect to get anything like that now. They still have decent rates though, and you can change your plan at any time if new ones like that pop up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
Maybe they'll have something for back to school...
Was this helpful? Yes 0