yconic - Anyone else screw up some of their first year courses?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Anyone else screw up some of their first year courses?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
So, I've had a rough second semester for my first year of uni. I used to be top of my classes in high school, but started to see a couple marks in the 60s and even one in the late 50s. I blamed it completely on myself and my study habits, which have significantly improved since then. I did not adapt to the workload and pressure at uni very well and since the material was mostly new second semester compared to first, i got hit with the consequences bigtime. I guess i lost my study habits since high school, but I'm now getting them back. Anyone else have similar stories?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I could have done better in 1st year, I didn't do bad but I didn't do as well as I could have. Didn't try as hard as I normally do, I guess. I screwed up 2nd year organic chemistry though. I stupidly overloaded that semester and took 6 (science) courses, which meant that I didn't have sufficient time to study for everything and I didn't know how to handle it. So I kind of just decided that I would give up on orgo and my orgo mark clearly reflects that.

Moral of the story: don't overload, and if you do, don't do it with all sciences.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
I put a half-ass effort into first year, but am still doing very well due to all the review from first semester (the majority of my classes are year-long). Of course, I'm in math and am naturally talented in it so I didn't have to write any essays or anything (which are what bring people's marks down generally from my experience).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26
It happens to everyone.

Second semester of first year is usually harder for science kids, since you venture into new/harder territory with things like calc.

To be honest, my work habits in first year were a lot better than they are now (finishing up 2nd year). I've been way too lazy this year and I've sort of paid the price for it in not-so-great marks. lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah, I actually got 23 % on my second calc midterm. Normally, i am very good at math (i got 91 first semester, and i did decently on second semester first midterm). I was pretty devestated, and it took me a while to get over it. I know i am very capable of all my courses if i really work, though. I've cranked up my study habits a lot actually. In fact, next year, i'm switching from science to engineering. if i started off in eng, im pretty sure things would have been way worse for me. now that I'm approaching my studies with a new attitude, i really think i can handle it. I've done pretty much everything i can to turn things around. Any other suggestions, and should i be okay for next year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
i did well in first term, but i screwed up on midterms this term. i failed 1 (but the avg was 57 so i guess i feel less bad about it) and for another i got a 60s simply because of a bad interpretation of a question. really pressuring me for finals which is coming up - hope i bring it up lol.

yeah my study habits really changed this term, i have less motivation since my profs suck this term. also, im taking more challenging courses this term.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheSixxthRamone TheSixxthRamone
yeah I'm only getting a 71% average my first year, not at all what I'm used to and I failed a course.. however, a 3 hour daily commute and working 30 hours a week was definitely a factor, and so I dropped the jobs after the first semester. Part of it is getting used to the idea that 2 tests and a small percentage for homework make up a whole semesters worth of marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

First year was an adjustment period for me. I was figuring out a new city, a new school and a new life. The cards are stacked against first years. Just figure out what works and use improved techniques in year 2.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of asyeda asyeda
Don't sweat it; as many mentioned, first year is a transition period and it is relatively common for those in demanding programs to fail many of their courses. University is very different than high school - I noticed that the material itself was not challenging, but the level of commitment and focus needed in order to succeed. I recommend reading "Study Smarter, Not Harder" by Kevin Paul - it has great tips on how to improve lecture note taking, retaining memory, preparing for exams, etc. Another thing I found very useful in my first year was taking time management and effective studying workshops. These are usually provided by the counsellor or career's office and I really recommend looking into them. Best of luck! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of CYYZ24ILS CYYZ24ILS
^ Make some serious adjustments or you're gonna find yourself in the exact same position again :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0