yconic - Anyone else totally jealous of Melody Thomson?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Anyone else totally jealous of Melody Thomson?

A photo of Wendy_D Wendy_D
So, the time has come when I've begun to wait for scholarship rejections to come in, and I keep re-reading (probably unhealthily!) those Success Stories.

71,000. That's all I'm gonna say. If I get half of that, I'll be satisfied.

If you're still on here, Melody, I salute you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
22 replies

A photo of Nyx Nyx
The amounts people win are ridiculous :( I wish I could win that much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewshields andrewshields
That's absolutely ridiculous. I salute you too! Just goes to show that hard work pays off
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chameleon203 chameleon203
SO LUCKY!
and sooooo jealous.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Susurrous Susurrous
I knew it was a long shot when I applied for the Loran/TD Scholarships....but oh well, one can dream XD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meridian Meridian
Susurrous... the Chancellors in your sig still looks pretty good...

So now the hard part - where are you going to go ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Susurrous Susurrous
That's the big question, because on one hand, Mac's Health Sci is an amazing program and it would definitely increase my chances for getting into med school...and on the other hand, there's the Chancellor's :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CanadaBoy CanadaBoy
Sorry to be ignorant, but who is Melody Thomson?

Also, while I am impressed by her scholarships, it's crazy to think there are many people that get offered even more and have to turn most of it down.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Wendy_D Wendy_D
@CanadaBoy - click on 'Success Stories', and at purple area click the arrow button. She's the first on the left. She won a LOT of money. A lot of it was from individual scholarships too.

@Sucurrous - I will take that Chancellor's off your hands if you don't want it. PLEASE be VERY grateful for what you received. I have a feeling many of us on here were really hoping for that scholarship.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of colakid123 colakid123
The thing is most of people's scholarships come from Millenium ,which is totally unfair...obviously if you give 20K+ to a single person, you're going to run out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of burntheevidence burntheevidence
It would be lovely to even win $10. :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Classiquely Classiquely
Being jealous is a waste of precious time.

If you want to win that much money, work at it! Apply, apply, apply to scholarships! :albino:

That's what I'm doing. I can't wait until I'm a success story :)

Just keep working and dreaming, and you'll get somewhere.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pcdavidvs pcdavidvs
wow, just looked to see who it was that won that much. She went to my high school and was really good friends with my sister. That's a crazy amount of money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of civilboy civilboy
I Know of someone who got 166 grand but he is an international student
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@Classiquely wrote

If you want to win that much money, work at it! Apply, apply, apply to scholarships! :albino:

This is probably the best thing I've read on this thread. I salute you Classiquely!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of moodeline moodeline

@Classiquely wrote

Are you in gr11 or younger?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@moodeline wrote

@Classiquely wrote

I am graduating in June and going to McGill in September :cat:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Classiquely wrote

@moodeline wrote

@Classiquely wrote

Hahahah you seem very idealistic. I've applied for at least 30 scholarships this year, absolutely everything I could find that I was eligible for. I have won one scholarship of 1k. Obviously I'm grateful, but it really was such a waste of my time applying for everything, wasting my teachers' time asking them to write reference letter after reference letter. And I'm not a slacker, I think I've done reasonably well in school, I'm in full IB with a predicted of 38 (UBC regards that as between a 95-97% average) and an average (in IB classes with NO grade inflation or adjustment) of 91. I edit my school's paper (like a FULL actual newspaper sized paper), co-captain and mentor for a debate team (winning BC mock trials as well as other major competitions), being actively involved with service and environmental sustainability projects including running a huge youth empowerment conference that featured some super high profile celebrities, as well as founding a municipal youth council that advises the government... and rowing for one the top canadian clubs.

So I'm just frustrated, because I've put SO much work into scholarship applications this year, teachers and teachers and guidance counsellors have told me how much money I can win because of what I've done, but I'm so fed up with the process. Rant over, I just need to vent. Sorry everyone
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@moodeline wrote

@Classiquely wrote

@moodeline wrote

@Classiquely wrote

Hahahah you seem very idealistic. I've applied for at least 30 scholarships this year, absolutely everything I could find that I was eligible for. I have won one scholarship of 1k. Obviously I'm grateful, but it really was such a waste of my time applying for everything, wasting my teachers' time asking them to write reference letter after reference letter. And I'm not a slacker, I think I've done reasonably well in school, I'm in full IB with a predicted of 38 (UBC regards that as between a 95-97% average) and an average (in IB classes with NO grade inflation or adjustment) of 91. I edit my school's paper (like a FULL actual newspaper sized paper), co-captain and mentor for a debate team (winning BC mock trials as well as other major competitions), being actively involved with service and environmental sustainability projects including running a huge youth empowerment conference that featured some super high profile celebrities, as well as founding a municipal youth council that advises the government... and rowing for one the top canadian clubs.

So I'm just frustrated, because I've put SO much work into scholarship applications this year, teachers and teachers and guidance counsellors have told me how much money I can win because of what I've done, but I'm so fed up with the process. Rant over, I just need to vent. Sorry everyone

I don't see what is wrong with what I said. I mean, I know how much of a waste it is for others to look at another person and feel envious because they don't have that. Why not work for it yourself? And if you do work for it and not achieve it right away, what good is it for you to just give up?

If you look at our history, you don't see much of the great leaders giving up when the going gets tough. Obviously, they kept going forward. I see that as inspiration for me to keep moving on because I have a dream in mind.

Besides, it's not even June yet, so you won't be getting rejected/accepted from most of the scholarships.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
Hmm. Money. Wonder if Miss Thompson could…spread the wealth?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Classiquely wrote

@moodeline wrote

@Classiquely wrote

@moodeline wrote

@Classiquely wrote

I don't see what is wrong with what I said. I mean, I know how much of a waste it is for others to look at another person and feel envious because they don't have that. Why not work for it yourself? And if you do work for it and not achieve it right away, what good is it for you to just give up?

If you look at our history, you don't see much of the great leaders giving up when the going gets tough. Obviously, they kept going forward. I see that as inspiration for me to keep moving on because I have a dream in mind.

Besides, it's not even June yet, so you won't be getting rejected/accepted from most of the scholarships.

No, I've heard from like all but two of the like 30 scholarships I applied for. And there is nothing else I can apply for this year that I'm eligible for, I'm just frustrated with the process and wondering if it's really worth it to apply for the big ones, like TD, Loran etc.. as they require SO much work and time and the chances of winning are so slim...

It wasn't anything against what you said, it was just very idealistic and just made me frustrated. But I never suggested giving up on anything, nor was I advocating being envious of whoever got 100k in scholarships...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@moodeline wrote

@Classiquely wrote

@moodeline wrote

@Classiquely wrote

@moodeline wrote

@Classiquely wrote

No, I've heard from like all but two of the like 30 scholarships I applied for. And there is nothing else I can apply for this year that I'm eligible for, I'm just frustrated with the process and wondering if it's really worth it to apply for the big ones, like TD, Loran etc.. as they require SO much work and time and the chances of winning are so slim...

It wasn't anything against what you said, it was just very idealistic and just made me frustrated. But I never suggested giving up on anything, nor was I advocating being envious of whoever got 100k in scholarships...

Hmm there are still scholarships out there that you probably did not apply to that you are eligible for and are not entirely eligible for, since I see that you've applied to 30 scholarships already.

For example,

Oriole Scholarship Fund
Roots Class of 2011 Scholarship Application Form
Learning Matters Education Fund
Walmart scholarship

Those scholarships are due on May 31st-June 1st, so one shouldn't have received a notification of acceptance or rejection.

I keep finding more scholarships as time goes on.
A lot of the scholarships that I am applying to are local and Aboriginal scholarships.
I have also applied to scholarships that I am NOT entirely eligible too. I've been told that there has been people who have won scholarships that they didn't exactly fit the criteria for; thus, if I find a scholarship that I don't entirely fit, I still apply since it - most of the time - requires the same information as a scholarship that I do fit the criteria for.

Most scholarships require similar essays and informational paragraphs, so it's not much work if one only works on scholarships one day a week (on a weekend for example).

I know it can be frustrating, but since you have already won $1000, see it as if you have been PAID to write the scholarships. For me, that helps me to keep going on considering it can take at least a MONTH of working part-time or even full-time as a high school student to EARN $1000.

Was this helpful? Yes 0