yconic - Anyone from Rotman!?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Anyone from Rotman!?

A photo of GoBarca GoBarca
I heard almost half of the students in Rotman are international students? thats pretty scary ..
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of peasho0ter peasho0ter

@GoBarca wrote
I heard almost half of the students in Rotman are international students? thats pretty scary ..

ha ha yea theres a ton of them

but really, its slightly less than a quarter, and most of them will be going home after first year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
ya always wondered about that

i also applied to rotman's....so how does it work, i heard after 1st year half the students are cut or something..?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GoBarca GoBarca

@peasho0ter wrote

@GoBarca wrote

ha ha yea theres a ton of them

but really, its slightly less than a quarter, and most of them will be going home after first year.

lol why them? some chinese kids are pretty smart tho lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jack555 wrote
ya always wondered about that

i also applied to rotman's....so how does it work, i heard after 1st year half the students are cut or something..?

you need 67 in economics and management, and 50 in math with an overall gpa of something (2.0 i think, but thats not the hard part) to be allowed into second year.

there are no bell curves for math.

there ARE bell curves for economics and management.
for economics, there are multiple sections taught by multiple profs. they have differernt teaching styles, we have differernt mid terms (mines only 1 hour long while another friends is 2 hours). at the exam, we have a set of questions that are the same to all sections. then they rank us based on class vs class performance on the final exam.

im not too sure on how this works, but i assume its like, section A did 5% better than section B, so the 100th studnet (mark wise) in A deserve a 73 while the 100th student in B deserve a 68. then they take the rankings of all the sections, and bell curve it so the median is 68.5. remember you need 67 to pass, so effectively 40% of people go home.

there are always people who pass economics, but fail one or two of the other two courses, but the majority of the kids who fail one course, will also fail another course.

not sure the exact bell curving for management, but i assume its something similar, although all the sections are taught by 1 prof with identical mid terms.

so in the end, around half.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
WOw..

sounds kinda risky then
what happens to people that are cut? :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Jack555 wrote
WOw..

sounds kinda risky then
what happens to people that are cut? :S

you get 1 try at a retake for each course. otherwise, transfer or go home.
Was this helpful? Yes 0