yconic - Anyone know details about Macmaster's coop program?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Anyone know details about Macmaster's coop program?

A photo of Enarab Enarab
I got accepted there, and I want to know more about it. Anyone know which year you can take it from and when do you take it(like summer months?).
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of steele steele
I think it is similar to Waterloo's, you are in co-op right from year one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
Couple things:

1. You pay $100 to sign up
2. You need to do a pre-req mini course before you begin
3. You are expected to find employment, not the school

You can do it in 4 month terms, or a 16 month term.

Most first years don't get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Enarab Enarab

@chatmike wrote
Couple things:

So I'm guessing you don't recommed it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Enarab wrote

@chatmike wrote
Couple things:

I do recommend it.

Waterloo Coop costs more, its just hidden in the costs. You pay an extra 400 total over uni on coop at mac, but at waterloo the tuition is thousands more PER year BECAUSE of coop.

The pre-req mini course is VERY VERY valuable. IMO Mac students would be more prepared for job interviews than UW kids on the fact alone that the Mac student would have to work harder to get the same job because of UWs rep. It's not taught in depth at UW like it is at Mac because UW has all the networking connections.

You are expected to use your own resources and research job listings to find your employment, a much more realistic skill than UW putting a blind date together.

It's not spectacular, but its not crap either. It's a step down from UW no doubt about it, but they try hard to prepare you for the real world which is very valuable.

With that being said, i chose Mac Eng over UW Eng. You'll find placements either way, just find a school that fits you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Muirhead11 Muirhead11

@chatmike wrote

@Enarab wrote

@chatmike wrote
Couple things:

I do recommend it.

Waterloo Coop costs more, its just hidden in the costs. You pay an extra 400 total over uni on coop at mac, but at waterloo the tuition is thousands more PER year BECAUSE of coop.

The pre-req mini course is VERY VERY valuable. IMO Mac students would be more prepared for job interviews than UW kids on the fact alone that the Mac student would have to work harder to get the same job because of UWs rep. It's not taught in depth at UW like it is at Mac because UW has all the networking connections.

You are expected to use your own resources and research job listings to find your employment, a much more realistic skill than UW putting a blind date together.

It's not spectacular, but its not crap either. It's a step down from UW no doubt about it, but they try hard to prepare you for the real world which is very valuable.

With that being said, i chose Mac Eng over UW Eng. You'll find placements either way, just find a school that fits you.

What happens if you dont find a job? Do you just do the regular non-co-op course? Also if you dont get in or you didnt sign up first year can you get in second year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Muirhead11 wrote

What happens if you dont find a job?

Then you don't get a job. :(

Do you just do the regular non-co-op course?

i believe so

Also if you dont get in or you didnt sign up first year can you get in second year?

yup
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Enarab Enarab

@Muirhead11 wrote

What happens if you dont find a job? Do you just do the regular non-co-op course? Also if you dont get in or you didnt sign up first year can you get in second year?

Coop also happens during the summer months, so I'm guessing it also means that you have a free summer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0