yconic - AP Courses and affect on averga
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

AP Courses and affect on averga

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hi, my school was offering 1 AP course next year that I would want to take. How do universities look at AP courses? Do you get a mark booster for you admission average or just for the course?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

Waterloo does not adjust any AP marks, and will not take AP credits for certain programs.

That said, some teachers will adjust the marks by curving or adding a certain percentage.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

you have an option of including your AP exam mark with your application. MOST schools give you some amount of unit credits if you score a 4 or a 5 on the AP exam which happens in May. If you don't indicate that you want your ap mark included, the universities will just see it as a U level course instead of as a UP level course and will consider you as a 'normal' student.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Universities only see the grades as reported by your school. They don't adjust them. Some high schools use a mark adjuster to curve the marks up. Others only report the AP mark as is (which is unfair). At my school, even though we take more advanced material, our marks are only based on assessments of the grade level curriculum and we write the same exam as the U level course. The AP material only gets assessed on the AP exam. As a result of studying at a higher level we invariably do really well on the U level exams.
Was this helpful? Yes 0