yconic - AP exam- deciding not to write it at the last minute?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

AP exam- deciding not to write it at the last minute?

A photo of Leesh1993 Leesh1993
So, I'm going into a university which forces me to skip the first semester year calc if I pass my Ap calc AB exam. I already paid $100 bucks for it. And exam is in 2 weeks. but I REALLY don't want to skip the first semester calc because I don't wanna miss anything. Should I not write the exam (and lose $100)? Does it matter if I sign up for an exam and not write it (like does university consider it as "unwritten")?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@Leesh1993 wrote
So, I'm going into a university which forces me to skip the first semester year calc if I pass my Ap calc AB exam. I already paid $100 bucks for it. And exam is in 2 weeks. but I REALLY don't want to skip the first semester calc because I don't wanna miss anything. Should I not write the exam (and lose $100)? Does it matter if I sign up for an exam and not write it (like does university consider it as "unwritten")?

You can write the exam and opt not to take the transfer credit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

McGill makes it unable for students of first year to take Math 140 if they passs the AB AP exam to decrease "grade inflation". If they find out about my AB exam grade, which I'm certain I'll get 5 or 4 on, I wont be able to take the math I want to take...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
Yeah, I'd opt out of the exam then. I don't think it will affect you, other than the loss of $100.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of colakid123 colakid123
If the only reason you don't want to take it is because you're scared you'll miss something, why don't you just sit in on classes, listen to lecture podcasts, and borrow someone's textbook to make sure you know the concepts?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Because I know I wont be as motivated to learn & actually show up for lectures if the course doesn't count for mark and also my schedule would be all messed up. I guess losing $100 would be better choice if it means I can take the course I want.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of colakid123 colakid123
If you're confident in that choice, just skip it or tell them you skipped it. But it's not really $100, it's $1300 because you're losing a full year (?) university credit in addition to the fee of the exam.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Fawlkes Fawlkes
A friend of mine dropped one of his AP exams last week and got his $100 back. Talk to your school and make sure there is no way to get a refund. You might have to pay the shipping cost, but since your exam isn't being evaluated and that is most of what you are paying for, you should get most of the $100 back, no matter when you drop.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of asdf098 asdf098

Refunds
You may ask for a refund if you do not begin an exam for which you have paid. Local school policy determines the amount of the refund. You will probably be required to pay the $13 fee the school is charged for each unused exam. Once you begin an exam — that is, write on an exam booklet or answer sheet — you cannot receive a refund.

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/cal_fees.html
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@colakid123 wrote
If you're confident in that choice, just skip it or tell them you skipped it. But it's not really $100, it's $1300 because you're losing a full year (?) university credit in addition to the fee of the exam.

uhmmm what? I'm only taking one AP course (so I still have to go to university for four years whether I take Ap Calc AB exam or not) and that doesn't make any sense since AB exam only exempts me from first semester math.

@fawlkes & @asdf098 & @zion

Thanks for the infos
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
The only way they'd find out in my opinion is if you told them. You're responsible for Collegboard to mail the results in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0