yconic - AP or regular?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

AP or regular?

A photo of anotherxnight anotherxnight
I'm currently signed up to take ap chemistry and ap biology. Even if I get a good mark on the exam, I'll be retaking the course in first year university. I'm considering dropping one or both of them. I'm in a non-semestered school so I would be taking them along with advanced functions and calc at the same time. If I drop either of them, the regular courses will be bird courses because I took pre ap last year. I'm not too worried about advanced functions because I already know 75% of the course and have a good teacher.

Should I work my butt off and keep both of them so first year uni is easier?

Should I drop one of them? Which one? I suppose I find biology easier because it's mostly memorizing but I enjoy chemistry more. Which first year uni course is harder?

Or switch to regular for both and take it really easy and have a super high average?

I got high 80s in the pre ap courses but I skipped a lot of class...

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
That is honestly a tough question to answer because I have no idea what AP material gets covered in those classes, nor do I know much about non-semestered school structure when it comes to AP exams/regular exams. If you'll be retaking in uni again even with the AP credits, I suppose you should stick to regular and enjoy your year. In the end, you're on the same road by the end of your first year in university. Unless you're really up to the challenge, that is. I can't imagine juggling two AP credits, because none of my friends have taken more than one AP credit at a time (I attended a semestered school).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of uncharted1111 uncharted1111
AP Chemistry isn't that much different than regular 12U chemistry if you compare the two. Don't know about AP Bio.

I honestly don't know why everyone thinks AP is so much harder than the regular Ontario 12U curriculum, because it really isn't. The only reason why you would think is harder is because of the AP designation.

If you like the subjects, then challenge yourself. I have American friends who took as many APs as their school would let them and they all did fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
Sorry to be a bit off-topic but are AP courses only offered at private schools? Because I'm wondering why my school doesn't offer them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@KingKhan wrote
Sorry to be a bit off-topic but are AP courses only offered at private schools? Because I'm wondering why my school doesn't offer them.

A number of public schools offer them. In the TDSB at the very least, you can find which schools offer Advanced Placement by reading off the Choices booklet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of anotherxnight anotherxnight
I'm not worried about the difficulty; I'm worried about me becoming lazy and not putting enough work into it. Anyways, I think I'm going to drop AP bio because they are changing the curriculum next year and I haven't heard many people complain about the difficulty of first year biology. AP chem seems hard, but more managable. Whereas in AP bio, anything from a 1200 page textbook is fair game on the exam. More time needed to memorize.
Was this helpful? Yes 0