yconic - Apparently Psychology is a "useless" major......
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Apparently Psychology is a "useless" major......

A photo of ticklemuffin ticklemuffin
You want to become a glorified babysitter?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of Quant Quant
You want to become a glorified babysitter?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Are you seriously surprised?

People who don't intend on becoming Psychologists or working in the field as a mental health professional shouldn't pursue degree's in Psychology. The only reason why it's considered useless is because it's a degree meant to prepare a student for graduate training in Psychology. To be a Psychologist you require a PhD and in most cases Clinical Hospital training, it's not like just anyone can be a Psychologist.

This is relatively true for a lot of undergraduate degree's though, if you aren't going to use your undergrad degree in majors such as Biology, Chemistry, or Psychology to pursue graduate studies or professional schooling then you'll most likely end up working in Star Bucks. Research Technicians are usually people from College Biotechnology Technologist programs anyways so they fill those positions.

Do you think I would pursue a degree in Psychology without the intentions of Graduate schooling? Never! If I wanted employ-ability right out of University then I'd go into something else.

Plus I do realize how competitive it is to get into graduate school for Psychology, so I have a Plan B, a Plan C, and then I have McDonald's LOL :P

So I suggest, if you want to be a teacher to go into some Concurrent degree program instead.

Was this helpful? Yes 0