yconic - Applications to UBC & U of T
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Applications to UBC & U of T

A photo of judysong judysong
Hi! I'm a grade 12 student currently studying in BC. I'm applying for University of British Columbia (General Arts) and University of Toronto (Arts & Sciences, humanities) for English. Due to the teacher strike happening in BC I have not got my first term report card...but I have a general idea of my academic course marks so far:

Math 12 - 93%
Biology 12 - 94%
Law 12 - 98%
Geography 12 - 94%
AP English 12 - 95%
History 12 - 94%

If I keep up my grades will I have a good chance of getting accepted to either schools? My worry is the heavy competition; my interest currently leans more towards U of T, and I heard their acceptance for out-of-province students is really tight.

I'm also interested in getting entrance scholarships as I'm not in a very good financial situation. What can I do to get noticed by the admins? I've volunteered at my local pool for almost a year, have swam for years and am now a certified lifeguard, and I'm an executive head of my school's student government as well as other clubs.

I've already sent in my OUAC app for U of T and am waiting for my applicant number, and I'm almost finished my application for UBC.

Thank you! :thumleft:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of steadierfooting steadierfooting
Hi! I really don't think you have to worry about getting in with marks and extracurriculars like that. I'm also in grade 12, and also applying to U of T, and what I'm more worried about is scholarships, since they don't seem to be great for that. I'd check out some college- and faculty-specific scholarships they have you might be eligible for; the only problem is, a lot of them don't require separate applications, so it's kind of hard to know what to do for them. :P Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Grinnan Grinnan
Hi!
Depending on you extracurricular, I think you'd have a great chance to get into ubc. Your marks will definitely get you in.

Grinnan.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
^ Don't even listen to that.
With marks like those, they won't even need to look at your extracirriculars. All you need to get into Arts at UBC is around 86%+.. which you are WAY above, so you're good to go for sure!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki

@cyynthiia wrote
With marks like those, they won't even need to look at your extracirriculars. All you need to get into Arts at UBC is around 86%+.. which you are WAY above, so you're good to go for sure!

What do you say about Sauder?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of judysong judysong
Thanks for your replies! :)
Joshki: I've never shown brilliance in business...haha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@Joshki wrote

@cyynthiia wrote

What do you say about Sauder?

Sauder is definitely a different story. Sauder is 50% supplemental and 50% marks.. so they definitely do look at extracirriculars. You need to have an average in the 90s and be relatively involved to get in to Sauder. Everyone I know personally who got in to Sauder last year had averages of 92+, and have done sports and clubs for all their high school life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0