yconic - APPLIED! What are my chances?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

APPLIED! What are my chances?

A photo of MightyJJ MightyJJ
Hey guys so I've applied to the following programs and i'm wondering what are my chances of getting into those programs: Mcmaster (degroote), Guelph (Econ & Finance), Queens Commerce, Laurier BBA, Waterloo AFM

THIS SEMESTER

World History: %84
Advanced Functions: %55 (I'm retaking Ad Functions because my mark is too low)
Accounting: %80
Economics: %82

NEXT SEMESTER (Projected marks)
Calculus: %90
Advanced Functions: %88
English: %90
Law: %91

I have good extra cirriculars: Sports Coordinator at the YMCA, Youth Coordinator at the Military Family Resource Centre, Soccer team, badminton club, science club, DECA, Sprott Business competition, I Teach Guitar, Royal Canadian Air Cadets, Volunteer at the Canadian Air & Space Museum, Break-Dance club, and I signed up for the Canadian Army Reserves.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz
No to AFM.

Queens depends on your essays or whatever they make you do.

I find it pretty damn hard to believe you will go from having a < 80 avg to suddenly a 90 average. If you can't do Adv Fun (which I found to be MUCH easier then calc), how do you expect to pull a decent mark in calc?

You need an 86+ for queens (along with EC's and essays)
86/87 for WLU.
Guelph, idk like an 82.
Mac is around an 83 (I think).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The reason why I got such a low mark in Ad. Functions is because of extenuating circumstances, that's why i'm repeating the course. I'm taking calculus outside of school right now to prepare for calc in second semester and I find it very easy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MightyJJ wrote
I'm taking calculus outside of school right now

Why do you need to take it twice? If that grade is being reported to OUAC, there's no way you'll get AFM then.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

When I mean taking calculus outside of school, I mean with a private tutor not for a credit. It's not being reported on OUAC
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MightyJJ wrote
When I mean taking calculus outside of school, I mean with a private tutor not for a credit. It's not being reported on OUAC

Ah okay.

In regards to your extenuating circumstances, its really hard for anyone on this forum to make a judgement. We have no idea how admissions staff take these things into account. Your best bet would be to apply to anywhere you could imagine yourself, and get in contact with the admissions office directly to see what they're able to do for you.

Best of luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0