yconic - Applying to 3+ programs
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Applying to 3+ programs

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I don't really understand why anyone would do this unless the three programs in question are known for being competitive. Isn't it reasonable to have two ideal picks--with more of a preference for one--and a third safety pick?

Not trying to flame here or anything like that, I'm just curious.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Wellll.. I applied for 4 programs, but I kind of had a motive behind all 4.
I only applied to the schools in Canada that have a Pharmacy school on campus, because that's what I wanted to do.. minus Memorial in Nfdland, 'cause that's wayyyy too far away.
The more programs you apply to, the more choices you have, right..
Each university offers something unique.
I also applied to 2 schools that I know I'd get accepted into, and 2 that might be harder, just to challenge myself to work up to that level.
:bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
3 or 4 is sensible, if you apply to 2 it's pretty cocky since the third is free anyways but unless you're doubtful about your marks (meaning a 70's average) there really is no reason to be applying to 30 programs
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq

@cyynthiia wrote
Wellll.. I applied for 4 programs, but I kind of had a motive behind all 4.
I only applied to the schools in Canada that have a Pharmacy school on campus, because that's what I wanted to do.. minus Memorial in Nfdland, 'cause that's wayyyy too far away.
The more programs you apply to, the more choices you have, right..
Each university offers something unique.
I also applied to 2 schools that I know I'd get accepted into, and 2 that might be harder, just to challenge myself to work up to that level.
:bball:

And you keep appearing in every thread I post in as well and always before me, my sickness is getting worse
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sean1218 Sean1218
People like keeping their options open.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Qq wrote
And you keep appearing in every thread I post in as well and always before me, my sickness is getting worse

Understandable considering they say that jealousy is a disease, so please, get well soon. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq

@cyynthiia wrote

@Qq wrote

Understandable considering they say that jealousy is a disease, so please, get well soon. ;)

No not really, jelousy is common amung all humans; it's natural process but all that aside I still want you to change your avatar. That is a demand
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Qq wrote
No not really, jelousy is common amung all humans; it's natural process but all that aside I still want you to change your avatar. That is a demand

Since I do not see a please in that sentence anywhere, I will absolutely not change it. :)
That is a declaration and I am sticking to it.
Sharing is caring, anyhow.
:D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
Some people are indecisive and want to keep their options open as long as possible. I think anymore than five is too much (unless you're applying to schools outside of Canada).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq

@cyynthiia wrote

@Qq wrote

Since I do not see a please in that sentence anywhere, I will absolutely not change it. :)

This makes me very uncomfortable young lady, I'm going to have to go into extreme measures
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Qq wrote

@cyynthiia wrote

@Qq wrote

This makes me very uncomfortable young lady, I'm going to have to go into extreme measures

You make me very uncomfortable, too.
I think this is a mutual feeling.
Alright, let's see how "extreme" your measures will take you.
I'm readyyyy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kyleigh711 kyleigh711

@jsaroya wrote
I don't really understand why anyone would do this unless the three programs in question are known for being competitive. Isn't it reasonable to have two ideal picks--with more of a preference for one--and a third safety pick?

Not trying to flame here or anything like that, I'm just curious.

That is totally reasonable if you know for sure what your top 3 choices are. Personally, I applied to 5 different programs because I'm interested in several areas of science, engineering, AND social science. This made it extremely difficult to narrow my applications to only 3. Other people I know, however, applied to 3 programs because they paid for 3, but are only really interested in one of them. It all depends on how broad your interests are and whether or not you know for sure what you want to study.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of moodeline moodeline
Well I will share my reasoning for applying for six:

UVic: Safety School/where I live now, so in case I decided I didn't want to leave home

U of T: Top choice when I applied, still is:)

McGill, UBC and Queens: Originally I could not decide which of the three I wanted as my second choice, I loved McGill and Queens for different reasons and they both are far away, UBC was similar to both McGill and U of T but closer to home. I now am pretty set against Queens, but when I applied I was definitely still considering it

Western: Well, three for one price, I wasn't going to let a free application go wasted and it's my backup away from home
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of susanwu22 susanwu22
I applied to five, not only because my 2 programs were competitive (Ivey at Western,Waterloo CA program), but also because I didn't want to close any doors for myself.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
I applied to 5 in Canada:
UWO, Queens, McGill: my top choices, I'll go where ever i get the most money, i guess
U of T: because it's close to home, my parents wanted me to appy
UOIT: because it's REALLY close to home, and i'll get a crapload of money if i go, so i can save for med school
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessganci jessganci
I've appled to 4 different programs at 4 different school in 3 different cities. But its just to expand on the program I graduate from this year so if i get accepted in to more than one then I have to decide whats best and not by location
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Vinhle Vinhle
APPLYING TO:
RYERSON
ONTARIO COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN
YORK

----------------------------------------
My plan is to get accepted to Ryerson or OCAD for interior / enviornmental design
and have York as my backup to fall on if those two does not accept me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Vinhle Vinhle
APPLYING TO:
RYERSON
YORK

My plan is to get accepted to Ryerson or OCAD for interior / environmental design
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Vinhle Vinhle
APPLYING TO:
RYERSON
YORK

My plan is to get accepted to Ryerson or OCAD for interior / environmental design
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Vinhle Vinhle
APPLYING TO:
RYERSON
YORK

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Vinhle Vinhle
APPLYING TO:
RYERSON
YORK

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Vinhle Vinhle
APPLYING TO:
RYERSON
YORK

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Vinhle Vinhle
APPLYING TO:
RYERSON
YORK

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats

@Vinhle wrote
APPLYING TO:
RYERSON
YORK

Kaaay good for you :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0