yconic - Applying to Laurier, Brock need help to finalize decisions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Applying to Laurier, Brock need help to finalize decisions

A photo of boomdizzle boomdizzle
hey hows it goin everybody just wondering if I could get some help, I've narrowed down my choices to

Laurier BBA

Brock Bacc

Heavily leaning towards Laurier, if I get accepted I'll go there for sure but... I want to know another uni business program I could apply to as my third choice with the following marks:
---> will Laurier factor in Adv Functions, Data and Eng, or just Functions and Eng?

Taken last year: (Grade 12 marks)

Data:84

English: 83

This year so far for midterm I have:

Advanced functions: 74

Religion: 92

Drama: 93

I have history and accounting as well as sociology next semester all 3 will be 90's for sure.
So that leaves me with about an 86 average, is that competitive for Laurier? If not I have decent EC's for the ABS. Also please recommend another program I could get into with good reputation, I want to get into trading but am interested in pursuing a CA designation, thanks for your time!! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred
You should get in just fine, sailor .
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Laurier does three rounds of offers.

The first occurs now to late January. This is for anyone that applies with a Grade 11 average of ~92+.

The second round of offers occurs late February-late March or so. How they calculate the averages is they take the top 6 marks, with at least 3 being Grade 12 (first sem final) marks (the other three being either Grade 11 or 12). I believe they factor in Eng (either 11 or 12) and functions (either Grade 12 AF or Grade 11 Functions), but I'm not sure if they include the other math (as most people probably won't have 2 done at that point).

The third round (April/May sometime) is after second semester midterms, and this is your top 6 Grade 12 courses, which includes prereqs (consists of first sem final and second sem midterms btw). The prereqs are English, AF, and either data or calc.

The average needed the last couple years was 86 (anything above got in). If you are within 3% of the cutoff, they will look at your ABS and you have a chance to get in if it's good. Note there were rumours of the cutoff for Laurier going up last year, so don't be surprised if the cutoff's a tad higher.

As for other programs, you could apply to pretty much anything that doesn't require calc. I'm not sure if all of these fall into that category, but look at UTM, UTSC, McMaster, Carleton, UOttawa, Guelph, Brock, etc. (in roughly that order)

If you want to go into finance, don't apply to Brock BAcc. Stick with the full business programs to keep your options open.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you for the help! that clarified my questions an as well any tips to applying to Laurier?? that could up my chances that I might not know about like how Queens if you are nominated for the one scholarship you automatically get in?? or other things I could do, I also have volunteered at a local investors group office would that strengthen my application?? ahah soo many questions thanks guys!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
No trick really. If you're over the cutoff, you get in. If you're under, they look at your ABS. Many people don't hand in their ABS forms, so they don't get in. Just fill out the questions, answer the questions sincerely, and have some good ECs and you will have a good shot. The volunteering should be a good EC for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

ok... so will they factor in prereqs like eng, and data into the 3nd round of offers or just six highest combined gr.11 and 12 marks because the I would have gr 12 religion, drama both at 90 and then data at 84 and gr 11 accounting, history and drama at 90. thats the last question I have, thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@boomdizzle wrote

@g93 wrote

ok... so will they factor in prereqs like eng, and data into the 3nd round of offers or just six highest combined gr.11 and 12 marks because the I would have gr 12 religion, drama both at 90 and then data at 84 and gr 11 accounting, history and drama at 90. thats the last question I have, thanks!

That is explained in post #3
Was this helpful? Yes 0