yconic - Applying to SE and CS at Waterloo
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Applying to SE and CS at Waterloo

A photo of ronery ronery
Hi guys, I'm a grade 12 student in the midst of applying to university.

I noticed that on OUAC, Waterloo had written this under Software Engineering:
"Apply to only one Engineering program including Software Engineering and those listed under Engineering. Additional Engineering program choices and Mathematics Computer Science can be indicated on the Admission Information Form."

I called in today to clarify, but the admissions department told me that SE and CS required separate applications, as they're in different departments.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Thanks.

I'm mainly worried about this since SE has some pre-requisites(i.e. chemistry and physics) that CS doesn't have. If I list the latter on my AIF, will they recalculate my top six (without the two courses) for CS?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred
ON your OUAC application, one choice will be SE. Another choice will be CS.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ronery ronery

@rightsaidfred wrote
ON your OUAC application, one choice will be SE. Another choice will be CS.

Sorry, perhaps I should re-word my problem. I am wondering if I can put down CS as an alternate program on my AIF (that is originally intended for SE).

It'd be great if someone who has applied to these two programs (which I'm sure is not rare around here) could help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ZetaShift ZetaShift
Yeah, you can do that in case your application ends up being just not good enough for SE, but still good enough for CS (although this is probably uncommon since the requirements are really similar).

If you're unsure of which you'll accept between CS and SE, then apply to both via OUAC. However, if you're set on SE but would settle for CS if you can't make SE, then only apply to SE and indicate CS as an alternative on your AIF.

I'll be applying to both via OUAC (along with UofT Eng Sci). I know I'll be accepted to both, and am leaning towards CS at the moment.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ronery ronery

@ZetaShift wrote
Yeah, you can do that in case your application ends up being just not good enough for SE, but still good enough for CS (although this is probably uncommon since the requirements are really similar).

If you're unsure of which you'll accept between CS and SE, then apply to both via OUAC. However, if you're set on SE but would settle for CS if you can't make SE, then only apply to SE and indicate CS as an alternative on your AIF.

I'll be applying to both via OUAC (along with UofT Eng Sci). I know I'll be accepted to both, and am leaning towards CS at the moment.

Thanks for your answer. I'm afraid my physics and chemistry marks just won't cut it, and I wouldn't want them to impact my CS application as well. I think I'll apply to both through OUAC, although my AIFs for the two would probably end up being identical. Hopefully Waterloo won't mind.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
The alternate program option on your Waterloo SE AIF is for other engineering programs. This is done so UW can give counteroffers to engineer applicants to other engineering programs.

You can however apply to both Waterloo SE and Waterloo CS so that's not a big problem.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
I just chose my programs (haven't submitted yet though) and I saw that Software has the "Mathematics Computer Science" option for alternatives, so I do believe, as ZetaShift said, that you can choose CS as an alternative to SE on your AIF if you want to be considered for CS if you do not get accepted into SE. If you want to decide between both (receive offers to both), then you need to apply to both separately.

Additional question: how many alternatives can we put on the AIF? I want to put CS, systems design and mechatronics but can we only put two alternatives?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted