yconic - applying to TOO MANY programs & uni ??
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

applying to TOO MANY programs & uni ??

A photo of RaCsO RaCsO
If you can get 90s then you can ditch options 9-11 since those are just safeties and you'll get into UW/U of T for sure. Even if you get 80s you'll be able to get into at least 1 of your top 5 programs. I would also ditch UBC since it would be more expensive than any of the Ontario unis and UBC isn't really known for its accounting/comp sci programs, unless you really want to go there. So that would narrow down your list to 6 programs. I would probably also cut UWO, I don't actually know anything about that program but if I was going into math/eng/comp sci I would aim for UW and U of T.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
If you can get 90s then you can ditch options 9-11 since those are just safeties and you'll get into UW/U of T for sure. Even if you get 80s you'll be able to get into at least 1 of your top 5 programs. I would also ditch UBC since it would be more expensive than any of the Ontario unis and UBC isn't really known for its accounting/comp sci programs, unless you really want to go there. So that would narrow down your list to 6 programs. I would probably also cut UWO, I don't actually know anything about that program but if I was going into math/eng/comp sci I would aim for UW and U of T.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BizNas BizNas
I can't really answer the question but I think I can give you a little advice. I wanted to Comp Sci before(Not anymore but that doesn't matter) but what I learned was comp sci is just a waste of a course IF(Keep this in mind) you have a lot of other hard courses, which IMO you do. Comp sci in my was just overkill with assignments I suggest you don't take it and potentially get a lower average. It's not even guaranteed that you will be using the same programming language in you UNI unless your working with C++ right now which is the most common one. Good luck bro.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
I agree with inthemaking. Remember, university applications cost money too.
You might have a hard time later making decisions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of RaCsO RaCsO

@BizNas wrote
I can't really answer the question but I think I can give you a little advice. I wanted to Comp Sci before(Not anymore but that doesn't matter) but what I learned was comp sci is just a waste of a course IF(Keep this in mind) you have a lot of other hard courses, which IMO you do. Comp sci in my was just overkill with assignments I suggest you don't take it and potentially get a lower average. It's not even guaranteed that you will be using the same programming language in you UNI unless your working with C++ right now which is the most common one. Good luck bro.

My comp sci teacher is really easy. It would be more of a fun class. and it would let me know if I really like Comp Sci. I liked it last year, but became uncertain if I really liked it or just because it was easy.

@heesoup wrote
I agree with inthemaking. Remember, university applications cost money too.
You might have a hard time later making decisions.

Yes that is why I am asking this question trying to lower the cost, and cut out some choices.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of g93 g93
Why are you applying to UBC for Accounting when they do not have an accounting program, yet you are not applying to Waterloo for accounting when they have one of the top-ranked programs in the country?

11 is definitely too many. I would have only applied to 2 if I wasn't already paying for the 3rd.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meridian Meridian
Another thing to consider is drop a few grade 12 courses and concentrate on the others to get the mid 90's average to get into your preferred school. You don't have to take 8 courses. They only look at pre-reqs and top 6 , You already have a 100% in Advanced Functions as part of that top 6.

Applying to 11 is too many.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Really you could get away with applying to one program... Co-op Math at UW isn't that competitive of a program, I'm pretty sure admission averages are in the mid-80s.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RaCsO RaCsO

@fxoqxc wrote
i thought ap advanced functions and ap calculus can only be taken in the same year since calc bc cuts into semester one? what province are you from, and how the hell did you get a 100 in advanced functions.. O_O....

and applying to that many programs is a waste of money, 90 average will get you into almost any program that doesn't require a supp app

We don't have calc BC in our school. and I took AP Advanced function in Gr.11.
We get a marks multiplier of 1.05x for any Gr.12 AP courses. And I'm pretty sure I have a 98 before the multiplier. and thats how. And i'm from Ontario

@g93 wrote
Why are you applying to UBC for Accounting when they do not have an accounting program, yet you are not applying to Waterloo for accounting when they have one of the top-ranked programs in the country?

11 is definitely too many. I would have only applied to 2 if I wasn't already paying for the 3rd.

Well, UBC does have BCom in Accounting and a Diploma in Accounting Program. I was gonnna apply for Waterloo Math/CA but figured that if I was accepted to Math/CA I would also be accepted to co-op Math at Waterloo (which is my first choice). So I already cut that out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
1.UW – Math (co-op){Actuarial Science later}
2.UofT – Physical and Mathematical Science {Actuarial Science later}
3.UW – Software Eng (co-op)
4.UW - Comp Sci (co-op)
[s]5.UWO – Math {Actuarial Science later}[/s]
[s]6.UofT - Comp Sci[/s]
[s]7.UBC - Accounting[/s]
8.UBC - Comp Sci
[s]9.McMaster – Comp Sci (co-op)
10.York – Comp Sci
11.Lakehead – Comp or Engineering[/s]

There you go, narrowed to 5 programs. UofT is your back-up.

I really wouldn't go with more than 6 choices, anything else is extraneous and unnecessary. Myself I had 6 applications, one only because I needed it to apply to an additional program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0