yconic - Applying to UT life sci~~~
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Applying to UT life sci~~~

A photo of missmisstina missmisstina
Okay~so... i know that the average required for UT life science St. George Campus was from 80-85. My top 6 average was in that range, however, my calculus mark ( a requirement to life science)was below 70. I just want to know is the university cares more about the overall average or each individual marks.
Do i have to maintain each of my individual courses in a certain mark? (eg, avg must be 80+ and each course must be above 70) And also, i have taken a course from private school, and now i am retaking it in my day school, but now, the retake mark was lower than my private school mark, i wonder if that will affect the admission to UT . Thank you ^^
Was this helpful? Yes 0
35 replies

A photo of plato plato

@missmisstina wrote
Okay~so... i know that the average required for UT life science St. George Campus was from 80-85. My top 6 average was in that range, however, my calculus mark ( a requirement to life science)was below 70. I just want to know is the university cares more about the overall average or each individual marks.
Do i have to maintain each of my individual courses in a certain mark? (eg, avg must be 80+ and each course must be above 70) And also, i have taken a course from private school, and now i am retaking it in my day school, but now, the retake mark was lower than my private school mark, i wonder if that will affect the admission to UT . Thank you ^^

Most schools view retaking courses poorly. Any mark below 70 in a competitive program is not good, sorry.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of angelsilver angelsilver
I don't think they make a distinction (but hey, what do I know) because they didn't say anything about specific mark requirements on electronicinfo.ca.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@plato wrote

@missmisstina wrote

Most schools view retaking courses poorly. Any mark below 70 in a competitive program is not good, sorry.

i'm getting 90 in English, Mandarin, Food nutrition, 84 in physics, and 84 in chem...only my calc. mark is really bad...do u think i can make it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I think it says in the viewbook that you need 70% min.
They look pretty heavily upon your Math & Calculus marks...
So I would try pulling that mark up before anything else if you really want to get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lowexpectations lowexpectations

@cyynthiia wrote
So I would try pulling that mark up before anything else if you really want to get in.

Actually, in the viewbook it says:
Life Sciences (including psychology):
English 4U, Calculus and Vectors, next best four U or M credits
Competitive average: low to mid 80s

It doesn't specify a minimum mark for calculus...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ksharma ksharma

@lowexpectations wrote

@cyynthiia wrote

normally, the minimum average for each required course in Ontario is 70%. So for UofT, getting lower than a 70% in Calculus & Vectors (a required course) will NOT get you in! sorry :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ksharma wrote

@lowexpectations wrote

@cyynthiia wrote

normally, the minimum average for each required course in Ontario is 70%. So for UofT, getting lower than a 70% in Calculus & Vectors (a required course) will NOT get you in! sorry :(

Do u think is possible that i pull my calc mark up in the final and they will still consider me ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of brendanguyen brendanguyen

Ontario Secondary School Prerequisites

ENG4U, MCV4U. Recommended: SBI4U and SCH4U. Many programs also require or recommend SPH4U. Particular attention is paid to English and calculus.

If a course, for example Chemistry is recommended, does it have to be in your top six courses? Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of deathangel deathangel

@lashes wrote
WHYYY, oh why, are you considering UT?!!? Have you gone nuts? Do yourself a favour and go to York instead. You will learn pretty much the same things, get higher grades, be more successful than the average UT student, and actually enjoy your undergrad experience. The only downside will be a slightly bruised ego that no one else will care about once you're in a top med school or grad program.

With that said, consider yourself lucky if you are denied admission. Unfortunately for you, as long as you keep your Calc grade above 70% and everything else remains the same, you will be granted admission. RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN!

Says a UofT life sci reject
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
^
/Giggles.
York Schmork.. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of letitsnow letitsnow
i got accepted to their life science program sometime in march and i havent even finished my calc class nor was it after midterms when i got admitted. so maybe they look at overall average. hope it helps
and i heard u of t accepts EVERYONE. of course could be false
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sheldore Sheldore
UTSG does accept alot of people but I'm pretty sure your calc mark has to be at least 75%, I don't know anyone that got in with a mark lower than 75% in grade 12 calculus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of c12 c12
So, anyone have an idea what my chances are with (I Know...) 78% average, with my english mark being the highest at 93%?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@c12 wrote
So, anyone have an idea what my chances are with (I Know...) 78% average, with my english mark being the highest at 93%?

For UTSG life sciences a 78% overall average is fine, but I think you need to have a 75% plus in calculus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of laCosaNostra laCosaNostra

@Sheldore wrote

@c12 wrote

For UTSG life sciences a 78% overall average is fine, but I think you need to have a 75% plus in calculus.

I wouldn't say 78% is "fine" when the admission requirement is low to mid 80s (no offense I'm just pointing out the facts)
And UT life science is quite a tough program and students on the lower end of the requirement range tend to easily get weeded out by 2nd year.
Again, I don't want to discourage you because if you've done adequate research and you feel you are up for the challenge, then go for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rx Rx
im with lashes on this one. i think you'll have a miserable time in u of t life sci if you can't manage 90+ on calc. run from this wretched place and don't look back.
u of t's undergrad learning experience is extremely overrated. profs at u of t are known for their research, and their abilities in research definitely don't correlate to their ability to teach or them caring about their undergrad students.
you go to u of t for their grad and professional (maybe) schools. not for undergrad
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of slaughter slaughter

@Rx wrote
u of t's undergrad learning experience is extremely overrated. profs at u of t are known for their research, and their abilities in research definitely don't correlate to their ability to teach or them caring about their undergrad students.
you go to u of t for their grad and professional (maybe) schools. not for undergrad

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You guys may think that UTSG is some impossible school to do well in but in reality it really isn't, I just wrapped up first year UTSG life sci and I can definitely say I didn't do as well as I should have or wanted to, but I take from it an extremely useful learning experience, I now know what being a university student is like and how to succeed. I see no reason why I can't get 90%+ in every one of my courses from here on out in university, no matter where I go. The hardest thing about first year is the transition and how adaptable you are, its not anything like high school and it really depends on how mentally tough you are. Oh and BTW to the dude who said a 78% avg. isn't okay, please I've met so many kids here that got in with damn near 75% avg's. Then again I've met so many kids that got in with 95%+ avg's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@Sheldore wrote
You guys may think that UTSG is some impossible school to do well in but in reality it really isn't, I just wrapped up first year UTSG life sci and I can definitely say I didn't do as well as I should have or wanted to, but I take from it an extremely useful learning experience, I now know what being a university student is like and how to succeed. I see no reason why I can't get 90%+ in every one of my courses from here on out in university, no matter where I go. The hardest thing about first year is the transition and how adaptable you are, its not anything like high school and it really depends on how mentally tough you are. Oh and BTW to the dude who said a 78% avg. isn't okay, please I've met so many kids here that got in with damn near 75% avg's. Then again I've met so many kids that got in with 95%+ avg's.

Exactly. Stop blaming everything on the school, guys.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of laCosaNostra laCosaNostra

@Sheldore wrote
Oh and BTW to the dude who said a 78% avg. isn't okay, please I've met so many kids here that got in with damn near 75% avg's. Then again I've met so many kids that got in with 95%+ avg's.

I guess you will get in but it's still borderline. But you're right, generally people do get in even with high 70s but UofT is really just milking cash from them. It's quite tough to survive in the program in the first place, and so even if one does get in with a high 70s average, I would advise against attending the university. That is of course unless they feel they can make a DRASTIC change in their work ethic, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0