yconic - ARCHITECTURE: How Different are the UofT and Waterloo programs?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

ARCHITECTURE: How Different are the UofT and Waterloo programs?

A photo of Niem Niem
A representative of University of Toronto visited my high school today, and apparently you don't even need gr 12 Math or Physics courses - or anything else besides English - to apply for the Bachelor's Degree for Architecture! High school Math and Physics ARE required for the Master's Degree, however. The representative stated that the Bachelor's program is mostly focused on design, and the Master's program will then make use of prerequisite math and physics education.

So what she's basically telling me is that the first four years of Architecture training is just art class? THEN, technical material is applied?

Can anyone confirm if UofT's undergrad program is really like this? Waterloo's undergrad program asks for math, physics and even humanities courses from the get-go. The impression I'm getting is that Waterloo is a more balanced program from the start to finish, and that UofT majorly changes halfthrough through the path of becoming an architect.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of Toronto12 Toronto12
Hey there,

I'm pretty sure you need math and physics for most science and engineering programs at UofT. Is the architecture program that you picked actually architecture or is it arts; interior design or something art program? I'm from UofT's business program and even the undergrad here requires grade twelve calculus and advanced functions as prerequisite. You should double check on e-info.com for the required courses.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
I don't think you even need a portfolio for UofT's architecture program. Its a Bachelor of Arts program, so you will receive an Arts degree, while Architecture generally falls under the Engineering faculty at other universities (e.g. Ryerson, Waterloo).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ForeverPi ForeverPi
a uoft representative also came to my school and said the exact same things.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Urnehpets Urnehpets
The UofT arch program isn't even accredited by the Canadian Association of Architects (I probably messed that name up real bad).

If I were you, I wouldn't apply to it even as a backup because it's basically worthless. lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Toronto12 Toronto12
Hmm couple years ago when I did research for universities, I'm pretty sure
there was an architecture program at UofT which actually requires calculus and physics.
I forgot the exam name, but actual architecture programs aren't art programs. (It's almost 3 years ago so it could have been removed now)...just keep looking around
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
U of T's is "architecture studies" and yeah it's an arts program. more theoretical/less hands-on than Waterloo's from what I've heard. it might be ok as a foundation if you're planning to do grad school after but by itself it's... ehhh.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cakee cakee
Oh man I am so glad you made this topic because I was just about to ask the same thing, and
@Urnehpets, it is accredited by the RIAC, I just checked but that might be including the masters.
Anyways my question is why is it in the u of t viewbook, theres only 200 students in the architecture program?? Is it hard to get in or not many people apply? Also, if I choose to go in to the program, where would I be for residence? Or would rez still fall under the colleges?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Urnehpets Urnehpets

@cakee wrote
Oh man I am so glad you made this topic because I was just about to ask the same thing, and
@Urnehpets, it is accredited by the RIAC, I just checked but that might be including the masters.
Anyways my question is why is it in the u of t viewbook, theres only 200 students in the architecture program?? Is it hard to get in or not many people apply? Also, if I choose to go in to the program, where would I be for residence? Or would rez still fall under the colleges?

My bad...it's just I remembered reading somewhere that it wasn't accredited. Anyways, don't be surprised by the low number of students in most arch programs. Waterloo Architecture only has 70 spots, so it's pretty competitive. :bom: I don't know much about the residential situation, so I'm not going to say much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dwarf dwarf
I'm also a gr 12 student and is planning for UofT architecture as well.
I just asked a rep. from the uni fair about it.
so If u take architecture in UofT, u won't get a bachelor of architecture, but a bachelor of arts (u can check in electronicinfo.ca). since its technically part of art, thats why u don't need math or physics.. u don't need a portfolio as well. (u just portfolio when taking masters) it doesn't have a good reputation yet and not as competitive as waterloo ... u can also take any minor along architecture..
after studying architecture, u can get a masters degree in UofT as well.. or go to ur minor if u like it better.. so in general UofT's bachelor program for architecture will not make u an architect.. they say it will prepare u to be one... but i kind of doubt it..

about Waterloo, i didn't ask the rep in the Uni fair.. although i know that it has a pretty good reputation.. and since its a co-op program, its going to be more hands on that will help u find a job easier.. and help for ur expenses..(UofT doesn't have a co-op program for architecture)

Thats all i know.. i just came from uni fair today..
hope we both get accepted :)
Was this helpful? Yes 1