yconic - architecture, which school?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

architecture, which school?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey, would anyone know which school is better for architecture? waterloo? UofT? or Ryerson? and why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of Urnehpets Urnehpets
Waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ghettopineap ghettopineap
From what I know:
I would say that as far as world recognition Waterloo is the most highly regarded.

That being said for undergrad Waterloo and Ryerson are both great programs with hands on designing from day one,
Waterloo is great because of coop yet Ryerson is great because you get to live in Toronto as opposed to being isolated in Cambridge.

If your looking for a very focused hands on program for undergrad I would avoid U of T due to the fact that it is more of a theory based major, as opposed to a full focused architecture program like schools such as Ryerson Waterloo and Carleton.
Also, through U of T it will take around an extra 1.5-2 years to finish your masters after receiving your undergrad.
(one good thing about U of T is that you could major in something else too if your not sure you actually like architecture)

I do hear that U of T's masters program is also very highly regarded. However, as opposed to Waterloo, Ryerson and Carleton you do not need an undergrad in architecture to get in.

By the way, this is coming from someone who got into both U of T and Ryerson, so I've done a crap ton of course comparisons and research.
I don't plan on getting into Waterloo, or attending if I do, because Ryerson is where I would feel I will have the best experience.
But if all you have is your school name to get a job I assume Waterloo would jump off the page more than Ryerson.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

I got into architecture at UofT and dont know I will be able to get into ryerson this year. What are my chances transferring to ryerson or waterloo from uoft in the second year? and how many people are accepted into ryerson?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@anton33 wrote
I got into architecture at UofT and dont know I will be able to get into ryerson this year. What are my chances transferring to ryerson or waterloo from uoft in the second year? and how many people are accepted into ryerson?

Im not sure, it seems like only the people who got pulled aside or those who have their final grades in, just from what I've heard. I wouldn't worry too much, although I have heard many people got emails in regards to their portfolio being liked.
As for going to U of T, since waterloo and ryerson are both accredited undergrad programs you probably could not transfer, however I'm sure your experience would benefit your application and portfolio.

Last year I applied to all Waterloo Ryerson and Carleton and did not receive an offer, It took me a year of hard work to improve my portfolio to a point where I would be competitive. (a lot of the people who get in seem to have a lot of art experience through their whole upbringing)
At that time U of T only had the arch major in the humanities dept., their new program this year looks better,
If you calculate the time for taking the year off and trying again its nearly equal to going to U of T, but its risky,

All I know is that Waterloo, Ryerson and Carleton are all super competitive, Last year my Ryerson portal just said "applications for this program are under review until July" its a crappy feeling getting no closure, Carleton sent me the cash grab offer they send everyone in regards to majoring in Arch History and Theory. And I got no waterloo interview.

Its just a tricky program to get into for any school.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ghettopineap wrote

@anton33 wrote

Im not sure, it seems like only the people who got pulled aside or those who have their final grades in, just from what I've heard. I wouldn't worry too much, although I have heard many people got emails in regards to their portfolio being liked.
As for going to U of T, since waterloo and ryerson are both accredited undergrad programs you probably could not transfer, however I'm sure your experience would benefit your application and portfolio.

Last year I applied to all Waterloo Ryerson and Carleton and did not receive an offer, It took me a year of hard work to improve my portfolio to a point where I would be competitive. (a lot of the people who get in seem to have a lot of art experience through their whole upbringing)
At that time U of T only had the arch major in the humanities dept., their new program this year looks better,
If you calculate the time for taking the year off and trying again its nearly equal to going to U of T, but its risky,

All I know is that Waterloo, Ryerson and Carleton are all super competitive, Last year my Ryerson portal just said "applications for this program are under review until July" its a crapty feeling getting no closure, Carleton sent me the cash grab offer they send everyone in regards to majoring in Arch History and Theory. And I got no waterloo interview.

UofT undergrad is accredited. it shows in this site: http://cacb.ca/index.cfm?Voir=sections&Id=8355&M=1357&Repertoire_No=660386109

Also from UofT I graduate with a Ba in Arts.. will that effect me with future jobs?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@anton33 wrote

@ghettopineap wrote

@anton33 wrote

All I know is that Waterloo, Ryerson and Carleton are all super competitive, Last year my Ryerson portal just said "applications for this program are under review until July" its a crapty feeling getting no closure, Carleton sent me the cash grab offer they send everyone in regards to majoring in Arch History and Theory. And I got no waterloo interview.

UofT undergrad is accredited. it shows in this site: http://cacb.ca/index.cfm?Voir=sections&Id=8355&M=1357&Repertoire_No=660386109

Also from UofT I graduate with a Ba in Arts.. will that effect me with future jobs?

the undergrad wont get you any future jobs because you need your masters to become an architect, I heard with an undergrad you could be a secretary or assistant,
Im also not sure weather that site is accurate because it doesn't list ryerson as having an accredited undergrad and they do,
anyways the only real difference long term is the extra time it will take to get your masters from U of T, and the fact that the undergrad seems less focused and its not a pre req. for the masters.
A masters in architecture from U of T definitely isn't a bad thing
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly

@ghettopineap wrote

@anton33 wrote

I got my Ryerson acceptance today (finally!). Wasn't pulled aside, and midterms aren't in yet, so this is probably the first few for the ones without exceptional portfolios? Personally, I only applied to Ryerson and Waterloo for architecture programs. Carleton's location really put me off, and I've also heard of very bleak employment opportunities after graduation. Of course, most people in the architecture field opt for a graduate degree to become a fully licensed architect, so its not all that relevant.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of clhuynh clhuynh

@jelly wrote

@ghettopineap wrote

@anton33 wrote

I got my Ryerson acceptance today (finally!). Wasn't pulled aside, and midterms aren't in yet, so this is probably the first few for the ones without exceptional portfolios? Personally, I only applied to Ryerson and Waterloo for architecture programs. Carleton's location really put me off, and I've also heard of very bleak employment opportunities after graduation. Of course, most people in the architecture field opt for a graduate degree to become a fully licensed architect, so its not all that relevant.

Hey Jelly,

Did you get a letter from Darren along with a portal update?!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Yeah I got the e-mail two days ago (I think we discussed this in another thread). It just showed up on my portal today, with no other e-mail being sent. If yours hasn't showed up, I'm sure it will soon.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of clhuynh clhuynh
Ahh, I'm getting so anxious. Still nothing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
I'm sure they're just taking awhile to send them out. The portal only updates at 4 AM everyday, so check tomorrow morning, it'll probably be there.

I'm probably going to end up going to engineering anyway, so good luck to everyone else :bounce:. I'll probably upload my portfolio to an image host when I find the time, I remember how hard I looked for one so I had something to compare to, and I never found one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

it's great that everyone is getting in, does your offer expire on the 24th?
mine does which makes me wonder if ill know from Waterloo by then. I don't care too much as I think Ryerson may be the best fit for me although Waterloo known for best program, Im just going into the interview with no stress no and we'll see how it goes,

and also yea Carleton was my backup if waterloo and Ryerson failed, The Campus is nice but the location and reputation aren't as great as Ryerson and Waterloo respectively

if anyone wants to see my portfolio for being accepted to Ryerson its here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73381090@N04/

its not great, I wasn't pulled aside, but it did the job

this will also be for my Waterloo mainly but its too late for anyone to steal any of my mediocre ideas haha

i also had a few other sketches, and I designed and build that keyboard which is probably a key aspect of my folio,
I also had autoCAD drawings of the keyboard at side and top view as well as an oblique of all of the parts I built together as if to explain how to assemble it, so maybe a bit of CAD does help?
If anyone wants to show me theirs PM me I'm curious
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 063905897 063905897
has anyone gotten into carleton yet?
slash what were your avg in physics and functions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@ghettopineap wrote
From what I know:
I would say that as far as world recognition Waterloo is the most highly regarded.

That being said for undergrad Waterloo and Ryerson are both great programs with hands on designing from day one,
Waterloo is great because of coop yet Ryerson is great because you get to live in Toronto as opposed to being isolated in Cambridge.

If your looking for a very focused hands on program for undergrad I would avoid U of T due to the fact that it is more of a theory based major, as opposed to a full focused architecture program like schools such as Ryerson Waterloo and Carleton.
Also, through U of T it will take around an extra 1.5-2 years to finish your masters after receiving your undergrad.
(one good thing about U of T is that you could major in something else too if your not sure you actually like architecture)

I do hear that U of T's masters program is also very highly regarded. However, as opposed to Waterloo, Ryerson and Carleton you do not need an undergrad in architecture to get in.

By the way, this is coming from someone who got into both U of T and Ryerson, so I've done a crap ton of course comparisons and research.
I don't plan on getting into Waterloo, or attending if I do, because Ryerson is where I would feel I will have the best experience.
But if all you have is your school name to get a job I assume Waterloo would jump off the page more than Ryerson.

do you remember what the waterloo précis was about last year? and how hard was it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0